Fantastic Member

If only the stories had any logic in them. posted by miles to go

it's logical....and a top selling book

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    it's logical....
    In your opinion.

Fantastic Member

and I'm ENTITLED to it & will express it when I want.

your problem is?

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

ASM really needs a new writer.

Slott wrote some great stuff in the past, but his writing on the book has become really stale and weird.

I guess my frustration is compounded by the fact I'm a big MJ fan, and I would prefer if now Pete & MJ got back together. Married.

But Slott hates that idea because he has this kinda miserable, illogical idea of what Spidey should be these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post

Slott wrote some great stuff in the past, but his writing on the book has become really stale and weird.

I guess my frustration is compounded by the fact I'm a big MJ fan, and I would prefer if now Pete & MJ got back together. Married.

But Slott hates that idea because he has this kinda miserable, illogical idea of what Spidey should be these days.
    He has some weird obsession with Ock as well.

Sick of it tbh, He's been constant in the books for years now and Slott has some weird thing for having a fat guy in a fit body.

All-New Member

The worst part is how he reacted to people saying they should bring back the marriage. He was really unreasonable. I don't understand why he and Marvel editorial ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to even CONSIDER bringing back the marriage. I'll quote Linkara, and what he said about One More Day, a video that frankly, Dan Slott and ALL Marvel Writers should watch.

And I think back to that speech, and realize Dan Slott and Marvel Editorial have learned nothing from One More Day, from the lessons of the past. He doesn't understand that so many of his readers either grew UP with a married Spider-Man and want that back, or have their own marriages, and want that to be reflected in Peter, the man who faces the challenges of the real world. And Marvel editorial doesn't seem to understand that either, and I don't know why they won't acknowledge or respect any opposing viewpoints or criticisms.

And people are noticing this. It's no secret that Marvel hasn't been doing well in terms of sales recently, having the worst sales since the 90's. Hell, even the VP of Sales and Marketing at Marvel acknowledged they'd dropped the ball. Sure, "Amazing Spider-Man" is still the top selling superhero title at Marvel, but one of the latest issues of ASM was barely above 60,000 copies, and it keeps dropping every single month. Look here: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06...vels-may-2017/

It ain't even in the top 25. VENOM'S at the top. Slott can't really keep boasting about it being the best selling title. Especially when the rest of the line is suffering! Amazing Spider-Man has gotten people "hooked" not based off of real character development, decent stories, funny dialogue...it's been more about, well...gimmicks. Like Ock taking over Peter's body, or the Spider-Island thing, or the Goblin coming back, things like that. You can't just keep doing big "status quo shaking" gimmick stories. You have to make your stories, for the most part, done-in-ones, because people are REALLY tired of "Wait until the next issue to see this resolved" cliffhanger style tales. And they're also tired of Dr. Ock, tired of people pushing characters on us and telling us we're supposed to like them, instead of listening to fan feedback that says 'No, we don't want Anna, we want Mary Jane" and "No, we don't want the REGENT brought back, we want the Marriage!"

Incredible Member

That is Marvel's call, not Slott's. Slott is a company man and if Marvel felt that MJ and/or the marriage was a good idea not only would Slott write it (as he did with Renew Your Vows) but vehement defend it as strongly as he does with single Peter Parker.

Even if he were to go the marriage would not return.

Astonishing Member

Slott's Thing was a fun read. Wish they would bring back FF and have him write it.

BANNED

Yeah like mentioned by others you might need to double check that last comment. Slott has never expressed that he hates them as a married couple. Its marvels, those above him, that dont want them as a married couple. Slott loves writing Spider-man and has no problem writing it without MJ but he has never said anything to suggest he hates her or anything like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Slott's Thing was a fun read. Wish they would bring back FF and have him write it.
    With the exception of his Spider-man/Human torch series and his run on Silver surfer that might be my favorite work from him. Its one of those series I tend to reread if I am home sick lying in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTie-chan View Post
    "Dan Slott to remain writer of Amazing Spider-Man FOREVERRRRR."

Fixed the title for you.
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!! (In Vader voice)

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Slott's everything is fun:

She-Hulk
    Thing
    GLA
    Spidey
    Silver Surfer
    Avengers: the Initiative

He's got some amazing Marvel comics to his name. Really fun stuff.

Seeing him do a FF book would be cool, but honestly? I'd love to see him tackle more B-, C-, or D-Listers due to my love of his GLA series.

-Pav, who misses the Initiative characters...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

To be honest, seeing the train wreck that was Spectacular Spider-Man makes me feel glad Slott is staying on the title. While he does often tend to portray Peter as a buffoon, or a joke, he also isn't shy to show Peter as a powerful hero at times. Other than Joe Kelly, and perhaps Conway, I don't know of any other writer at Marvel who does the latter.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    To be honest, seeing the train wreck that was Spectacular Spider-Man makes me feel glad Slott is staying on the title. While he does often tend to portray Peter as a buffoon, or a joke, he also isn't shy to show Peter as a powerful hero at times. Other than Joe Kelly, and perhaps Conway, I don't know of any other writer at Marvel who does the latter.
    JMS did that. With good dialogue. And good humor. Now he's not at Marvel right now, but he was much better.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintHeartwing View Post
    JMS did that. With good dialogue. And good humor. Now he's not at Marvel right now, but he was much better.
    Yeah, JMS was great. I would really have liked to see him tackle Parker Industries!

I'm not saying Slott is the best writer of all - I'm saying he seems to pretty much be the best option (by far) from the current crop of Marvel writers.