Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Hope sometime in the future we get one big omnibus with the whole run, that would be fantastic to see.

Also interested to see how the last few issues of this run are going to be traded. Seems to me they're gonna do Vol. 5 as #7-10 and Vol. 6 as #11-14, or they could go all out and put 8 issues in one volume
    Not sure how accurate it is but Amazon says Silver Surfer vol. 5 comes out in November and collects 7-14.

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Surfer.../dp/0785199705

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Four per book? That's different. Seems like Marvel lately prefers having five or six per book. Wonder why so few here? Me, personally, I'd prefer to have one with eight than two with four.
    5 and 6 are the average, but sometimes they will put only 4 issues in a volume to collect an arc easier, and then add a bonus story to fill out the page count. Spider-Man's even had a few of those recently, like Vol. 2: Spider-Verse Prelude, Vol. 4: The Graveyard Shift, Worldwide Vol. 3: Power Play, Worldwide Vol. 4: Before Dead No More, and I assume Worldwide Vol. 6: The Osborn Identity will be as well.

Silver Surfer isn't as connected to multi-part stories like Spider-Man is, so they could go either way and it'd still work, including some bonus or classic Surfer stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Not sure how accurate it is but Amazon says Silver Surfer vol. 5 comes out in November and collects 7-14.

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Surfer.../dp/0785199705
    Ahh, well that does make sense, and would make it more special, just cause of how rare 8+ issue volumes really are (not counting compilations).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Congrats on the Eisners. Which issue won?
    Silver Surfer Vol. 1 #11.
    SILVSURF2014011-Allred-9f654.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    No disrespect but wouldn't Vol. 1 be the Lee/Buscema run?

Okay. I'll have to put that on my reading list.

BANNED

While I've really liked several of his stories (Spider-Man & The Human Torch, No One Dies, Superior Spider-Man and Renew Your Vows most notably), his last three years on the title have been dismal in my opinion. I'm more than ready for someone else to take the reigns.

Incredible Member

This actually happened to me:

3 issues into the LIZARD: NO TURNING BACK arc (ASM #690), I had a fan approach me and say, "You should leave Spider-Man. It's just not as good anymore. This Lizard story is not doing it for me. You haven't done anything I've liked since Ends of the Earth."

I told him, "That's literally the last story we did. The one right before this Lizard one."
    And he was like, "Really?"
    And I was all, "Yeah."
    So he said, "Hmm. Okay. You can keep going."

I've met people who've said, "You should've quit after Superior..."
    And then, minutes later start talking about how Spider-Verse, Learning To Crawl, and/or Renew Your Vows were some of their favorite stories in my run.
    And when I point out those are all post-Superior, there's usually a moment just like the Lizard/Ends of the Earth guy, where they go, "Really?"

I've had people in Silk and/or Spider-Gwen cosplay say that post-Superior wasn't doing it for them. And I'll ask, "Did you like Spider-Verse?" And they'll say it was their favorite Spider Event EVER. On more than one occasion, when I've pointed out that that was post-Superior, I'll get the response, "But Superior Spider-Man was in it."

Same thing happens where I go, "Did you like the one where Spidey & Prowler broke into the underwater base?" and a reader will go, "That's the one with the guards playing Pokemon Go. That one was good."
    Or "Was the Spidey/Torch story where Peter bought the Baxter Building okay?" And they'll bring up the reveal with Pete, Johnny, and the FF statue and how it was a really nice Pete & Johnny moment.
    Or they'll say that the Cloak & Dagger/Mr. Negative three parter was something they liked.
    Or MJ putting on the Iron Spider suit.
    Or the one where the Living Brain/Doc Ock has his big freak out.
    Or the issue where Jay Jameson passed away.
    Or the Rhino/Clone Conspiracy Omega issue where Spidey had the heart-to-heart with him.
    Or the fight in the castle and down in the snow with Norman Osborn...

:-D

This isn't unique to me. This happens with every creator on a long run. Every creator gets this. I can think of a specific fan who told me I "peaked" at Spider-Island and should step down-- only to come back, months later at a signing, to say that Superior was his favorite Spider-Man run in the history of Spidey and that I should never leave the book.

You want me to say I've written some clunkers? Yes. I've written some clunkers. I've written 200+ Spider-Man Universe comics. You swing for the fences, you're gonna strike out every now and then. It's gonna happen. Can't be helped. (Especially when-- because of the nature of the beast-- you're writing 2, 3, 4, or 5 issues in a month. And, so multiple artists can work on the book at the same time, issues that are often written out of sequence.) It's a challenge, but it's a rewarding one. I really do love this gig. But does stuff like the Molten Man 2-parter or the 3-part Alpha arc happen from time-to-time? Yeah. They do. None of it is on purpose tho. Each comic is one I take my best possible swing at. You will always get my best effort. That I can always promise you.

3 issues into the LIZARD: NO TURNING BACK arc (ASM #690), I had a fan approach me and say, "You should leave Spider-Man. It's just not as good anymore. This Lizard story is not doing it for me. You haven't done anything I've liked since Ends of the Earth."

I told him, "That's literally the last story we did. The one right before this Lizard one."
    And I was all, "Yeah."

And then, minutes later start talking about how Spider-Verse, Learning To Crawl, and/or Renew Your Vows were some of their favorite stories in my run.
    And when I point out those are all post-Superior, there's usually a moment just like the Lizard/Ends of the Earth guy, where they go, "Really?"

I've had people in Silk and/or Spider-Gwen cosplay say that post-Superior wasn't doing it for them. And I'll ask, "Did you like Spider-Verse?" And they'll say it was their favorite Spider Event EVER. On more than one occasion, when I've pointed out that that was post-Superior, I'll get the response, "But Superior Spider-Man was in it."

Same thing happens where I go, "Did you like the one where Spidey & Prowler broke into the underwater base?" and a reader will go, "That's the one with the guards playing Pokemon Go. That one was good."
    Or "Was the Spidey/Torch story where Peter bought the Baxter Building okay?" And they'll bring up the reveal with Pete, Johnny, and the FF statue and how it was a really nice Pete & Johnny moment.
    Or they'll say that the Cloak & Dagger/Mr. Negative three parter was something they liked.
    Or the Rhino/Clone Conspiracy Omega issue where Spidey had the heart-to-heart with him.

This isn't unique to me. This happens with every creator on a long run. Every creator gets this. I can think of a specific fan who told me I "peaked" at Spider-Island and should step down-- only to come back, months later at a signing, to say that Superior was his favorite Spider-Man run in the history of Spidey and that I should never leave the book.

You want me to say I've written some clunkers? Yes. I've written some clunkers. I've written 200+ Spider-Man Universe comics. You swing for the fences, you're gonna strike out every now and then. It's gonna happen. Can't be helped. (Especially when-- because of the nature of the beast-- you're writing 2, 3, 4, or 5 issues in a month. And, so multiple artists can work on the book at the same time, issues that are often written out of sequence.) It's a challenge, but it's a rewarding one. I really do love this gig. But does stuff like the Molten Man 2-parter or the 3-part Alpha arc happen from time-to-time? Yeah. They do. None of it is on purpose tho. Each comic is one I take my best possible swing at. You will always get my best effort. That I can always promise you.
    And that's precisely why you are my favorite Spider-Man writer. I've been following since Spider-Island and I can tell when you are spinning intricate webs that keep interweaving in the storylines. Know that all the efforts aren't taken for granted, and that's why your Amazing Spider-Man's run is such a success. The fans who claimed that Spider-Verse is their favorite Spider Event ever are right, it's arguably the best Spider-Man event ever, maybe a tough toss between Spider-Verse, Spider-Island and Ends of Earth. The Osborn Identity was a great set up for more Spidey vs. Osborn epicness. Keep writing Spidey and we will keep buying it, mate. I want your run to be so freaking emblematic of Spider-Man that several film trilogies get inspired by that. I want you to become what Stan Lee is to the MCU eventually when it comes to Spider-Man cameos. You deserve it, man. And I know it's a grind, and I know that I can't even fathom how tough it is. But it's your dream job. It's my dream job. And I know for sure that no one on Earth can do it better than you do. Looking forward to Legacy and beyond. Way beyond. You maybe can quit when Amazing Spider-Man gets to #1.000. And I've said maybe.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 06-28-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Ultimate Member

And I was all, "Yeah."

And you're a much appreciated.

I hope you long continue on Spider-man.

BANNED

But does stuff like the Molten Man 2-parter or the 3-part Alpha arc happen from time-to-time? Yeah. They do..
    I liked the Molten Man two-parter if it helps any

I would have liked MJ as the Iron Spider too, but unfortunately did not enjoy how she treated Peter in the story...I did appreciate that you put them back on good terms at Jay Jameson's funeral, even if MJ only got one line, it was enough, and then Chip Zradsky had them getting along in Free Comic Book Day which I also liked. Did you have conversations with Chip about that?

I hope that means whenever you get back around to MJ in ASM, however long that may take, they can continue to rebuild.

ASM remains problematic to me, but I'm a ''cycled out'' old fart who prefers Spidey a certain way and you're trying to reinvent him for someone else, that's really it. I can get on board with that sometimes, but not every rodeo is a thrill ride. That's opinions and comics for you.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I liked the Molten Man two-parter if it helps any
    Thanks. It makes me cringe tho.
    The story tried to carry too much water: advance the spider-tracer story, the mayoral race, the Lily subplot, --and-- give a definitive answer to how Harry was back (post Spectacular Spider-Man #200).

And that was before you even got to the Molten Man part of the story. :-P
    Messy, messy issues. (But with GORGEOUS Mike McKone artwork!)

BANNED

Thanks. It makes me cringe tho.
    The story tried to carry too much water: advance the spider-tracer story, the mayoral race, the Lily subplot, --and-- give a definitive answer to how Harry was back (post Spectacular Spider-Man #200).

And that was before you even got to the Molten Man part of the story. :-P
    Messy, messy issues. (But with GORGEOUS Mike McKone artwork!)
    Did it being just two issues long have anything to do with the schedules and deadlines of the other writers in the BND team you worked with? I can imagine if it were to be done now, it'd be a bit of a short mini-event. Overall I liked it because a lot was going on and it still had time to chill a bit with Peter and Harry talking and visiting Liz.

Astonishing Member

In my opinon Dan Slott is a mixed bag. Sometimes he is a hit, sometimes a miss. More than other writers. Same goes with characters. Black Cat is awfully written, Anna Maria is just great. And so on...

So no middle way for me, so to speak.

The best thing is that there is no Humberto Ramos or Chris Bacchalo anymore on ASM. I absolutely hated their art (maybe the guys are coo in real life l, but i cant stand their art)

Amazing Member

And I was all, "Yeah."

Say what you will about the man's writing , not many creators come out like this and discuss, kudos to you sir!

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Wow. Why all the hate for the Alpha arc? I actually really enjoyed it, and the Alpha miniseries we had a while back was really cool too. It definitely was better than Osborn Identity, IMO. To be honest, I'd like to see you bring back Alpha and/or the Parker Particles concept for a story, since I thought it was really cool to see how great power transitioned to (effectively) absolute power.