Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    With Dan, his run started with elevating Peter to the status he is at now. So it stands to reason that a logical end to it be returning him back to that status quo.

That is me though.
    Kind of like what Grant Morrison did elevating Bruce to a Bat-Brand in Batman Inc, only to bring that crashing down at the end of his run. I often thought the way DC handled Morrison's run is what Marvel should have done with Dan, I.E after a certain point, spin him off into another book (in this case, Superior) and let ASM be written by someone else. It worked like gangbusters for Scott Synder, who's now a household name and who very much gets to still have a well regarded run on Batman comics long after departing the core title (All-Star Batman) while another top-tier writer gets a crack at the whip (Tom King)

Incredible Member

Not surprising really

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Kind of like what Grant Morrison did elevating Bruce to a Bat-Brand in Batman Inc, only to bring that crashing down at the end of his run. I often thought the way DC handled Morrison's run is what Marvel should have done with Dan, I.E after a certain point, spin him off into another book (in this case, Superior) and let ASM be written by someone else. It worked like gangbusters for Scott Synder, who's now a household name and who very much gets to still have a well regarded run on Batman comics long after departing the core title (All-Star Batman) while another top-tier writer gets a crack at the whip (Tom King)
    That was Morrison’s plan. He always intended to "put the toys back into the box" after he was done.

With Dan, he still has Parker Industries to address. After that? I can't say. I don't know what his plans are. Amazing is still selling well and I assume Marvel wants him to stay on to handle the transition. In the end, it all depends on how good his stuff is he has coming up. If its good, Great. If it isn't, then perhaps a new voice will be needed.

This brings up an interesting point about how long a writer should be on a title. If Dan genuinely feels he has more stories to tell with Peter, then I am all for it. But if he is staying on because he doesn't want to give it up, that's another issue altogether.

A writer only has so much story to tell with a particular character before they begin a steady slide into mediocrity or begin repeating themselves. To use an example look at Tite Kubo on Bleach. That should have ended after the defeat of Aizen. But he dragged it out with another unnecessary saga for years afterwards. By that point, the title was a shadow of its former self.

Claremont has numerous X-men stories he didn't tell. But would anyone still be reading if he was still writing it now?

Dan will know when he is ready to go. I just hope he goes out while he is still on top, and not a shadow of his former self due to a reluctance to walk away. That would be a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    This brings up an interesting point about how long a writer should be on a title. If Dan genuinely feels he has more stories to tell with Peter, then I am all for it. But if he is staying on because he doesn't want to give it up, that's another issue altogether.

Dan will know when he is ready to go. I just hope he goes out while he is still on top, and not a shadow of his former self due to a reluctance to walk away. That would be a damn shame.
    and who gets to make that call? the artist themselves? the audience? the editors? my personal take is that it's a combo of all those factors; as long as the writer feels s/he is making good stuff, the team around him or her believe in them and the majority of the audience feels likewise then why stop a good thing?

which long running writers got out at the right time and which ones outstayed their welcome? claremont on x-men? PAD on hulk?
    troo fan or death

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Considering I've yet to hear anything else to the contrary I can't say I'm surprised that he's staying on.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    People aren't so blindly loyal to brands as you think, it's a question of whether or not Slott's writing and the elements of his stories are a make or break to the reader, if it's a break for the reader, the reader stops. It's the basic fact of whether or not it's a person's cup of tea, it varies from person to person, and honestly, there's at least one alternative if you don't want to read Slott's ASM right now (RYV). More than one if you have some liking for the other Spider-people.

One example is that while I hate the live action Transformers movies, apparently plenty of people don't, or else there wouldn't be billions of dollars made off of them. Other people aren't me, and there are alternatives to Transformers movies. Same is true with Spider-Man.
    If it was about blind loyalty, there's also the question of why this only applies to Spider-Man and not the Avengers or the X-Men.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If it was about blind loyalty, there's also the question of why this only applies to Spider-Man and not the Avengers or the X-Men.
    Why doesn't it apply to the others?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why doesn't it apply to the others?
    because blind loyalty would mean that those two titles would always be best sellers independent of their creative teams in the same way people claim spider-man is.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Disappointing but expected news if true.

Marvel has become the House of 2-3 Ideas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    And again...Slott does not make Amazing great,it was hugely popular before him and will stay popular even after he is gone. And who knows...a new writer could make the book even better. It's time for someone new...Slott has been on the title long enough.
    Yes? Then how do you explain the fact that while Slott shared the titles with other writers the book was a 40-50k copies book and with him raised to 70k and more copies? You probably don't read comics since a lot, otherwise you would know that Spider Man has not always been successful as you say, for many years (decades) it never managed to sell as well as the Avengers books, the X-Men books, Wolverine and other characters, but often way less of those. With Slott the book has been selling consistently better than Avengers, X-Men and so on, for many years. These are all hard facts based on how the book actually performed in the last 30 years, which are and where are the «proofs» of your «spider man is always popular» thesis?

BANNED

However just because something might appear to be doing well does not mean a writer cannot be replaced or shipped off a book.
    Yes sure, «let's retire this product that sells well and replace it with one we don't know how it will performs». It's really Business 101. (and don't start again with spider man is always popular regardless of the creative team, it's a lie based on 0 facts that the last 20-30 years of AMS sales refute.

Slott has had 10 years and Marvel may feel with a new relaunch that Amazing deserves something new and fresh to go with it like a new writer and artist to give it that sense of something new.
    Wishful thinking.

Relaunching and having the same old writer on the same old title = YAWN!
    Hypocrisy. I am sure you would love it if a book you like, with a writer you like, that is selling well, for some reason came to be replaced with a new volume by a different writer, right?

Mighty Member

Do you think the reason why Slott said that there is a slim chance for a Peter/MJ reunion is because he is pushing the spider Man/Mockingbird romance? Slott said in http://www.cbr.com/interview-dan-slo...erior-octopus/ that Mockingbird would be the first relationship where Peter can be both sides of himself.
    Last edited by rward777; 04-24-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Do you think the reason why Slott said that there is a slim chance for a Peter/MJ reunion is because he is pushing the spider Man/Mockingbird romance? Slott said in http://www.cbr.com/interview-dan-slo...erior-octopus/ that Mockingbird would be the first relationship where Peter can be both sides of himself.
    The reason why there is a slim chance for Peter/MJ is because The Power's That Be do not want him married. Until that changes it does not matter what the current writer wants.

BANNED

If Mockingbird's title hadn't been cancelled, I understand she was supposed to have gotten back with Clint (that or it was a threesome with Hunter), Dan's pretty lucky Bobbi was put back in his hands.

Though with Chip developing this new interest for Spectacular, Rebecca London, I wonder how much freedom Peter/Bobbi would be allowed to have.

As for Peter being allowed to indulge in both sides of himself with someone...you get that in Renew Your Vows and the newspapers already...and both are with MJ as his wife
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-24-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    The reason why there is a slim chance for Peter/MJ is because The Power's That Be do not want him married. Until that changes it does not matter what the current writer wants.
    I wasn't talking about The marriage. I was only referring to the relationship Peter and MJ used to have. Slott said that there is a slim chance of a Peter/MJ reunion as unmarried lovers.