Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I wasn't talking about The marriage. I was only referring to the relationship Peter and MJ used to have. Slott said that there is a slim chance of a Peter/MJ reunion as unmarried lovers.
    He also said if Marvel wanted to, they would be back together "in an instant"

He says a lot of things both sides of the argument like to hear.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That's just a different way to underline the fact that it's a Marvel business choice to have Spider Man not married, not the writers, the editors or the editor in chief.

Well that's all well and good, but it's also basically meaningless. We want to know the likelyhood, not the ability since we already know that Marvel could go so far as to undo OMD in an instant, like they can bring back Uncle Ben for real in an instant if they wanted to. And right now, the likelyhood of both those things are about the same.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    That's just a different way to underline the fact that it's a Marvel business choice to have Spider Man not married, not the writers, the editors or the editor in chief.
    The bit I was quoting was him referring to Peter and MJ becoming lovers again without necessarily being married

You need only look at last week's Venom for a textbook example of Marvel reuniting two iconic characters together "in an instant" and without much in terms of build-up. Mike Costa even compared Eddie and the Symbiote's reunion to a Peter and MJ reunion at C2E2.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-24-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Do you think the reason why Slott said that there is a slim chance for a Peter/MJ reunion is because he is pushing the spider Man/Mockingbird romance? Slott said in http://www.cbr.com/interview-dan-slo...erior-octopus/ that Mockingbird would be the first relationship where Peter can be both sides of himself.
    If that's the case, the same could be applied to the following:

Tigra
    Jessica Drew
    Carol Danvers
    Silver Sable
    Black Widow
    Jennifer Walters
    Psylocke
    Felicia Hardy

I'll admit that I'm disappointed that we won't get a new voice in for Spider-Man. I get that Chip Zradsky is writing Peter in a different series, but Dan has been the one deciding the major events for Peter the last 7 years.

Even when you look at Spider-Man publication history, I don't believe there has been any writer that's been on Main book as long as Dan Slott has been. His work is good for the most part, was great early on and the dropped off after Superior, and now its just decent IMO. I would just like to see a new take on Spider-Man, cause Slott's work now has been about getting Peter into a massive event changing mess every time and seeing him crawl out of it. It's not bad but something different and new would be nice.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I'll admit that I'm disappointed that we won't get a new voice in for Spider-Man. I get that Chip Zradsky is writing Peter in a different series, but Dan has been the one deciding the major events for Peter the last 7 years.

Even when you look at Spider-Man publication history, I don't believe there has been any writer that's been on Main book as long as Dan Slott has been. His work is good for the most part, was great early on and the dropped off after Superior, and now its just decent IMO. I would just like to see a new take on Spider-Man, cause Slott's work now has been about getting Peter into a massive event changing mess every time and seeing him crawl out of it. It's not bad but something different and new would be nice.
    Yeah, it seems that won't let up given how the latest interview wraps up. I reckon Slott will go from this to Secret Empire, to presumably tie-ins for Venomverse over the summer (do we even know who the chief writer of that event is yet? Dan? Costa?) before shifting into something for Legacy.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-24-2017 at 12:25 PM.

If Mockingbird's title hadn't been cancelled, I understand she was supposed to have gotten back with Clint (that or it was a threesome with Hunter),
    Pretty sure Occupy Avengers would've got in the way of that.

Astonishing Member

Cool.
    And makes sense,because Amazing Spider-Man have been consistently one of the best seller comic book from some time now.
    As a fan of Dan Slott stories i am looking forward to see how will be the stories in Amazing Spider-Man through Legacy.
    And the diferent type of stories in Spectacular Spider-Man will make for a nice extra reading of Spider-Man stories as well.

I guess I'll just hope we might finally get some resolution with Felicia going into the new Legacy run, but I'm not expecting much.

I guess another pertinent question is what's next in the saga of Doc Ock after Secret Empire ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post

Right now, writers do want to stick around on the Spider-Man books.

Slott being on-board since 2008 is one thing. Bendis has been on a Spider-Man book of some kind since 2000.

Meanwhile, we have monthly titles by Gerry Conway and Peter David.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    and who gets to make that call? the artist themselves? the audience? the editors? my personal take is that it's a combo of all those factors; as long as the writer feels s/he is making good stuff, the team around him or her believe in them and the majority of the audience feels likewise then why stop a good thing?

which long running writers got out at the right time and which ones outstayed their welcome? claremont on x-men? PAD on hulk?
    Bendis on Avengers for starters.
    I love anything Brubaker does, but that final volume he did with Steve back in the saddle was really lackluster.

PAD still had Hulk stuff to tell. The stories Casey and Byrne told afterwards were stuff he was going to do anyway. But he definitely had more Aquaman man in him.

As i said in previous posts, I have no problem with Dan remaining on. That the decision to stay or go is ultimately his. He has earned it. Just saying that the rule is to go out leaving them wanting more, not less. An example is Steven Moffat. The man is one of the best writers to have worked on Dr Who. Period. But his reluctance to step away, when the writing was clearly on the wall, has seen the show suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Right now, writers do want to stick around on the Spider-Man books.

Slott being on-board since 2008 is one thing. Bendis has been on a Spider-Man book of some kind since 2000.

Meanwhile, we have monthly titles by Gerry Conway and Peter David.
    Slott might be best stepping away from ASM and getting a satellite book, then.

Incredible Member

I don't really have an opinion on how long Slott stays on ASM but I do wonder what he'll do after he decides to step away from ASM. I know he writes Silver Surfer as well but the way he talks about writing ASM is like it's the pinnacle of his comicbook writing career.

If he so desires & the stars align the right way I'd welcome him taking a crack at the core/flagship Avengers title (I know he's done Avengers: The Initiative & Mighty Avengers) but it almost seems to me like he'd be content to ride off into the sunset after ASM.

I'm probably misreading his sentiments about ASM but that's kinda how it comes off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Bendis on Avengers for starters.
    I love anything Brubaker does, but that final volume he did with Steve back in the saddle was really lackluster.

PAD still had Hulk stuff to tell. The stories Casey and Byrne told afterwards were stuff he was going to do anyway. But he definitely had more Aquaman man in him.

As i said in previous posts, I have no problem with Dan remaining on. That the decision to stay or go is ultimately his. He has earned it. Just saying that the rule is to go out leaving them wanting more, not less. An example is Steven Moffat. The man is one of the best writers to have worked on Dr Who. Period. But his reluctance to step away, when the writing was clearly on the wall, has seen the show suffer.
    I think Moffat and Slott have a lot of similarities (they were big fans of long-running series who guided those to the 50th anniversary and pissed off some people online.)

In Moffat's case, the push to get him off the series was most intense during Matt Smith's last two years (2012/ 2013) when the show many have suffered a bit due to circumstances largely out of his control (truncated seasons/ a lack of multi-part episodes.) If he had left then we wouldn't have gotten his work with Peter Capaldi, which has been pretty damn good, and generally quite acclaimed. I hope the next showrunner Chris Chibnail is good; I'm unaware of any claims that his work on the series or on Torchwood was on par with typical Moffat.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets