Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which DC series had the best conclusion?

Over in the Steph Brown thread there has been a discussion over Batgirl (2009) ending and all the last minute changes that writers had to make before the New 52. So what DC series do you believe to have the best conclusion which are fitting to the style and quality of the series.
    So my vote obviously goes to Stephanie Brown's Batgirl series, but what about yours? Sadly, I believe lots of series, however great, lack amazing ending.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

BANNED

Are you talking about series in general, or ones that were ended by Flashpoint?

Cause for ones ended by Flashpoint, as I said in the Steph thread, Secret Six wins by a landslide.

Overall is tougher, but I might have to go with Robinson's Starman. And if you're counting limited series, Legion Lost.

Subsequently, this question has made me realize that the majority of my favorite books have had sub-par finishes...

I definitely agree- Starman is my favorite DC series overall. I haven't read all of it but what I have read is flat-out amazing, including the ending.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Watchmen....
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I agree with Starman. I read the entire series for the first time a couple years ago (I bought all six of the omnibus books). Amazing series with an amazing finish.

I also think Hitman and Gotham Central had good endings. I would have enjoyed seeing Gotham Central continue a while longer, but apparently it was Greg Rucka's decision to end the book after Brubaker and Lark left, and that last story he ended it with was a fitting end to the series, while at the same time leading into Montoya's storyline in 52 (the weekly 52, not the new 52).
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Are you talking about series in general, or ones that were ended by Flashpoint?

Cause for ones ended by Flashpoint, as I said in the Steph thread, Secret Six wins by a landslide.

Overall is tougher, but I might have to go with Robinson's Starman. And if you're counting limited series, Legion Lost.

Subsequently, this question has made me realize that the majority of my favorite books have had sub-par finishes...
    Yep any series from any time.

What do people think of Geoff Johns TT #100 as I can't decide whether I like it or just find it OK.
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post

What do people think of Geoff Johns TT #100 as I can't decide whether I like it or just find it OK.
    I don't remember when I finally ended my masochistic torture of myself and stopped reading the 2003 TT, but it was before #100, so I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    Yep any series from any time.

It wasn't Geoff Johns' TT #100. JT Krul was the writer. I thought it was just OK; I really was not a fan of resurrecting Superboy-Prime as a villain, but it was cool seeing all the Titans and some of their nemeses again. And I did like the artwork in the back, and the variant cover depicting about a hundred Titans, which I bought.

My favorite Summer 2011, pre-Flashpoint finale was Batman #713. Featuring a story in which Damian recounts the history of the Batmen (Bruce and Dick) and their Robins to three boys named Bob, Bill, and Jerry, it was a nice nod to a series that began with Batman and Robin swinging into action on the front cover, along with the first appearance of Catwoman and the first and second appearances of the Joker. That finale cover, with both Bruce and Dick as Batman, Tim as Red Robin, and Damian as Robin was also a cool way to close out a series that had run for 71 years.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

I absolutely loved how Giffen ended his Doom Patrol run.

Spoilers

They're about to have the final showdown with the villains when Ambush Bug appears and tells them that their cancelled. Whispering in Mr. Somebody's ear about the book's low sales, the upcoming Flashpoint story, and Dan Didio.

The end of Omega Men was perfect.

I also really love the end of Lemire's Green Arrow. After all his world building it was cool to see his vision of where it all would've ended up. Unfortunately being a tie in to the main event meant it left some open plot threads.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    It wasn't Geoff Johns' TT #100. JT Krul was the writer. I thought it was just OK; I really was not a fan of resurrecting Superboy-Prime as a villain, but it was cool seeing all the Titans and some of their nemeses again. And I did like the artwork in the back, and the variant cover depicting about a hundred Titans, which I bought.

My favorite Summer 2011, pre-Flashpoint finale was Batman #713. Featuring a story in which Damian recounts the history of the Batmen (Bruce and Dick) and their Robins to three boys named Bob, Bill, and Jerry, it was a nice nod to a series that began with Batman and Robin swinging into action on the front cover, along with the first appearance of Catwoman and the first and second appearances of the Joker. That finale cover, with both Bruce and Dick as Batman, Tim as Red Robin, and Damian as Robin was also a cool way to close out a series that had run for 71 years.
    Sorry, I just referred to it as Geoff Johns titans because I was referring to that series from 2003 not that he wrote #100.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Vigilante series from the late 80's.

Mighty Member

Morrison's Doom Patrol, the way the ending brought it all together it took it to a very real, ballsy, and emotional place is what makes it my favorite book of all.
    Last edited by scribbleMind; 04-22-2017 at 02:53 PM.

BANNED

Ostrander's SPECTRE, hands down.

Robinson's STARMAN is very, very good....but Ostrander stuck the landing like no one else I've ever seen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Ostrander's SPECTRE, hands down.
    The only Spectre solo run I've ever read was the Hal Jordan Spectre run.(Still my favorite version of Jordan BTW) I take it you'd recommend Ostrander's?