Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default The Batman Arkham games. What do you like and dont like in the games

One thing I dont like doing again is when DC/Rocksteady keep doing Riddler as an annoying fetch quest of finding Riddler question mark trophy items, puzzle buttons and using detective mode to find extra easter egg junk related to stuff that went on in old Batman comics. Why do they keep doing that. Just once a normal beat em up fight would be nice to fight Riddler one on one.

Penguin i actually enjoy dealing with him in Origins and Arkham City. Especially when Penguin pops up again during the Cold Cold Heart DLC story

All-New Member

I played Arkham Knight when it came out and I just recently picked up Return to Arkham. Last night I beat Arkham Asylum. I was really surprised by the darker tone that Asylum has compared to Knight, especially because I believe Knight is rated M and Asylum/City are T. I thought the tone was perfect for the "Asylum" location of the game. In particular, Harley Quinn came off as legitimately crazy and somewhat scary. Like I really believed that she would just murder people for the fun of it. The Scarecrow stuff was awesome too. When you're walking down the hall as a young Bruce Wayne, but your shadow is still that of the Batman. That's gotta be one of my favorite Batman moments period.

The Poison Ivy plot actually made me like Arkham Knight a bit less, since they reused pretty much the exact same plot. Played the first few minutes of Arkham City as well. So far it's been awesome.

I don't like the designs and characterizations of Bane and Killer Croc. The only Arkham game to get those two right was Origins.

BANNED

Favorite Things: Asylum and City are incredibly well designed games, Arguably Mark Hamil's best performance as the Joker, all the costumes you can wear.

Most Hated Things: Origins and Knight are NOT incredibly well designed games (the opposite actually), their insistence of having the Joker be in EVERY game, their f**king s**t portrayal of Anarky, their depiction of Tim Drake, the fact that with DLC they could have included Cass or Steph as playable characters, but like usual, they were ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by geomon View Post
    I don't like the designs and characterizations of Bane and Killer Croc. The only Arkham game to get those two right was Origins.
    I think that the best designs were in the first game... I remember cobblepot.. The first and second game(good designs), but in his third game(Where is his coat? too simple).... I prefer the previous..

You are right with Bane... I forget Croc design in the next games...

Bane opinion:

BANE.jpg

I hate you... I am the Ultimate Bane of this story.
    Last edited by adrikito; 04-23-2017 at 12:11 PM.

I liked that Asylum was so close in canon and atmosphere to the comics. It felt like I was playing the comics come to life.

I didn't like that each subsequent game added more and more unique takes that strayed from comic continuity. Each game I subsequently felt less and less like the comics. By Knight, the series had its own "Arkhamverse" that wasn't the universe with stories that I cared about. It felt more generically "video-gamey."
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

I beat the main story in Arkham Origins days ago. Now recently found all data packs except for the one on the outside deck of Penguins ship.

I still have two or three pages left of the pickney side quest to do but I've had enough of Origins for awhile. Even the Cold cold heart dlc I haven't tried out yet

Sometime in May I'll be playing Arkham City on Normal for the first time.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The atmosphere, especially in the first game, is so immersive. I love exploring the island. City was great too, but I think the first game is still closest to my heart.

The major con I can think of is the depictions Catwoman, Ivy and Harley. Not characterization wise, but the fanservice was too OTT. Ivy's orgasmic moans during the boss fight were the height of ridiculousness. No Selina, we don't need to see your cleavage or your navel.

And Tim/Barbara. Whatever the Hell that was supposed to be, I want no part of it. Does DC just want Babs to work her way through the Bat-men? Also, Jason just cuz.

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I liked that Asylum was so close in canon and atmosphere to the comics. It felt like I was playing the comics come to life.

I didn't like that each subsequent game added more and more unique takes that strayed from comic continuity. Each game I subsequently felt less and less like the comics. By Knight, the series had its own "Arkhamverse" that wasn't the universe with stories that I cared about. It felt more generically "video-gamey."
    Yeah the last game lost the atmosphere pretty hard. The thing that stood out to me for some reason was that the villains didn't seem as colorful. Their designs became blander.

Infamous_Genie

Cool Love This Game!!! Batman Arkham Knight ( First Timer )

first time playing this game, I know I know I'm late lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRS8FlTadF4

Extraordinary Member

Resurrecting this thread because I've been thinking about ways they could have made Arkham Knight's story better, and maybe shift the gameplay around a bit for some players.

1. Scarecrow's Fear Toxin has varying effects and cues numerous hallucinations like in Arkham Asylum, but they're used as transitions for (2) and to do some more organic exposition. For instance, Bruce is in a dual play scenario with Tim!Robin, and then his hallucination starts to replace Tim with Dick, than Jason, and at one point gets replaced with Babs as Batgirl, so that the audience can get this idea of a family a bit easier. The hallucination platformer levels cover the individual tragedies too, to try and obfuscate Jason's death among others: one level covers Babs getting shot (and Oracle talks you through it on the headpiece), one covers Dick and Bruce getting into a fight (and foreshadows Jason's death), then Jason's death is covered. Joker only appears sporadically until later, at which point you get his FPS section, but NOT as the finale.
    2. That "transitions" thing I mentioned back in (1) is basically short mini-levels of free roam as Batfamily members; not just Dual Play, which is awesome, but full fledged free roam that can be accessed later, but in story serves to give individual members a few moments to shine. Nightwing (who, incidentally, is Babs boyfriend and Bruce's clear number 2) saves Bats after he gets a bad hit of Fear Toxin (Predator boss fight where you have to disarm Bruce and inject him with a suppressant). Azrael holds a road exit open against Firefly to earn Batman's trust (Origins style boss fight with Firefly). Robin runs a diversion to give Bats an opening into the Arkham Knights' HQ (impossible fistfight with Arkham Knight where he captures Tim at the end so we can see that conflict get some resolution; maybe the longer you fight the more respect Jason gives Tim?) Catwoman breaks into Arkham Asylum to help free Bruce from Scarecrow's capture of him (Predator challenge).
    3. Overhaul on Arkham Knight as an antagonist and as a mystery. The biggest thing is to not fall back on a simple "shocking reveal"; give the player a short side missions they're encouraged to complete where they can have Bruce deduce Jason's back, ala Under The Red Hood. Embrace his ambiguity a bit more, and contrive a better backstory for his post-death adventures: Ra's launched a raid to retrieve him from Joker's grip after he was tortured, and tutored him into being the anti-Hero he is, with Jason breaking away because while he's darker than Bruce, he's not as crazy as Ra's. Have him working with Scarecrow, but only because his ulterior motive is to both strike back at Bruce and kill the villains, with Scarecrow's gas hitting him at a key point to make him a great boss fight (Vehicle, Predator, and Melee) and to allow Bruce to try and correct him.
    4. Overhaul on the badguy alliance, especially with infighting. Penguin and Two-Face should form a pretty good counter to Scarecrow's manipulations, especially since he actually commands them at times. Harley brings most of the muscle with the Jokers street gang at full power, and is being manipulated with Scarecrow toxin, so Catwoman can free her and give us a short-lived Gotham Sirens moment before Poison Ivy dies. Have the finale be rearranged to that Catwoman has to free the captured and unmasked Batman, and then you take advantage of Harvey's sudden spaz out to fight all the bad guys while dealing with the last bit of fear toxin simultaneously, shifting between play former's and predator and melee fights.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP