Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Nightcrawler92's Avatar

Default X-men: who was stronger?

When it comes to the 1990's Blue & Gold teams, who do you think was stronger?

I grew up with the animated series so I have a special place in my heart for the about A team, but to be frank, I think in terms of diversified power, the Gold team takes it.

Thoughts?
    Pull List:

DC: Flash, Justice Society, Green Lantern

Boom: Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers

Image: Undiscovered Country, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun

Marvel: Ultimate Spider-man, X-men, Daredevil, Iron man, Thor, Hulk

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Gold team was definitely stronger, but the two teams tackled different level threats IMO. Cyclops' Blue team was more street level while Storm's was more global level at times. If the two teams were going after a sentinel facility, the blue team would be ones infiltrating and destroying their ability to replicate the project while the gold team would tackle the hords of giant killer robots bound to swarm the area.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

The gold team was FAR more powerful. There was simply no comparison between the two in the power department.

Jean Grey and Iceman stomp the Blue team. Storm is the gravy.
    The only thing the Gold team lacks is technical resources. If Beast whips up a mutant power inhibitor, then Blue wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Jean Grey and Iceman stomp the Blue team. Storm is the gravy.
    The only thing the Gold team lacks is technical resources. If Beast whips up a mutant power inhibitor, then Blue wins.
    Right...Blue was for the streets, while Gold was for heavy hitters.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

We are talking about this version of Wolverine, correct?

Spectacular Member

Gold might have been stronger - but H2H, I think Blue would curbstomp them. Blue has better fighters and better technicians. I think Wolverine and Cyclops could devise a plan to take out Gold

BANNED

Gold easy. Betsy and Rogue were the only real heavy hitters on Blue.

Now how about Blue vs Gold vs X-Force vs X-Factor vs Excalibur circa 1991?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I think that it was definitely the Gold Team, but at the same time they each had their heavy hitters and the characters that sorta... dragged the team down power wise?

Gold had Jean Grey, Iceman, and Storm but they also had Colossus.

Blue had Psylocke and Rogue and Cyclops but they also had Beast.

That said, comparing Jean, Bobby, and Ororo to Betsy, Rogue, and Scott... no comparison.

Does anyone find it funny that the current Blue/Gold dynamic is ALMOST somehow opposite of how it was originally? More characters in Blue were on the original Gold team, more characters on Gold were on the original Blue team.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Ultimate Member

The team with Jean and Storm on it wins all the wins.

Storm can beat the Blue team leader *without her powers* and Sabertooth nicely showed us what a Jean vs. Betsy 'fight' would be like. (Creed smacked Betsy down, while Jean hoisted him into the air and flung him around like a rag-doll, reminding him that he was the mutant version of a firecracker, and she was an atom bomb.)

From a gamist perspective, it would have made sense to split up the fliers/group transport characters, and the ranged utility characters a bit more. But superhero teams in comic books have rarely, if ever, followed any sort of tactical logic in their lineups, and made sure to balance artillery, armor, infantry, transportation, communication, utility, etc. roles. The X-Men started out with a guy who was all offense and nothing else (Cyclops), a glorified acrobat (Beast), and a dude with wings that had no ability to contribute meaningfully in any other way except when he would be drawn carrying a rocket launcher, because, apparently, that's something superheroes are allowed to do! (Angel) And Jean, who had offensive, defensive, utility *and* transport powers built into her telekinesis, and, oh yeah, was also a telepath (with the dozen sub-powers that come with that, like mental blasts, illusions, mind control, psychic invisibility, memory alteration, turning off people's hearts and killing them with a thought, teaching anyone any skill or language in seconds, astral projection, and, that other thing that telepaths do, oh yeah, *reading minds*)!

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Gold easy. Betsy and Rogue were the only real heavy hitters on Blue.

Now how about Blue vs Gold vs X-Force vs X-Factor vs Excalibur circa 1991?
    Unfair fight, at the time Rachel was part of Excalibur and she had the full power of the Phoenix Force and Meggan was a walking plot device.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Unfair fight, at the time Rachel was part of Excalibur and she had the full power of the Phoenix Force and Meggan was a walking plot device.
    This is true, plus the fact that Captain Britain was basically made to be the Magical Tank.

That said, all of the teams around this time in the 90's were particularly strong. The X-Men were a force to be reckoned with both in and out of comics, and when Generation X was added to the mix that didn't change anything.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

It's funny because if I went on my fist initial thought I would have said Blue, because in my memory I somehow remembered them dealing with more powerful foes Magneto, Mojo, Omega Red, etc), but the reality is that Gold was stacked with 3 immensely powerful mutants (Jean, Bobby, Ororo), a powerful energy canon and tactician (Bishop), and then Colossus and Archangel. They could have taken on lots of foes, but it always felt like Blue was your stronger team the way they marketed the book. Plus at that time TAS came out which was mostly Blue (Jubilee, Cyclops, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Wolverine) with some Gold (Storm and Jean), so Blue gets more recognition initially for me.

Meanwhile power wise in the 90's I'd say that it would be Gold>Excalibur>X-Force>X-Factor>Blue

Fantastic Member

I have to go with those that feel Excalibur was the strongest. Rachel did go mano a mano with Galactus, after all. Excalibur was also formed to deal with a multiversal threat.

Also, Merlyn was a jerk.

Excalibur's definitely the most powerful thanks to the Phoenix and magic users.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'