Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    That's exactly what the issue states. She summoned the full power of the galactic core. Storm haters hate this feat, but it doesn't alter the reality.
    and where exactly did all of that energy go to?

She cannot control this from Earth. The further she is from a heavenly body, the more difficult it is for her to tap into its energies.
    So even this feat has limitations... which I find perfectly fine

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Lightning hurt her here. I'll take Claremont's word over Pak, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    did she "absorb" it or 'shut it down"?
    she absorbed it.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    she absorbed it.

that panel states that she did no such thing.

it specifically says she channels the energy through her body and into the upper atmosphere. she was, in effect, a living conduit for the energy itself. she did not absorb anything.

and then northstar knocked her out cold from the back of the head.

BANNED

and where exactly did all of that energy go to?
    She obviously metabolized it. I think that is why she was able to survive in space so long unaided. My theory is she was living off of the life force and energy of all of those heavenly bodies she just devoured. Read this scan from Uncanny X-Men #156: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fk08_a_AUO...CRE6SukYbqN=s0

Notice when Deathbird kicked her out into space, it was stated that Ororo can only survive for 30 seconds out there without life support. So, the X-Men had only 30 seconds to save her.

Now, lets go to the Brood Saga: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/TA1J3mXX9Mx...8gMxMFVdjnu=s0
    Notice how just being in proximity to all of the heavenly bodies in the galactic core, she was able to feed off of their life energies and draw both spiritual and material sustenance from them. Then, she summons the full power of the core and essentially becomes a star that is sum of all the energy in the core crammed into her body: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Z7nv4mGSzvE...QJ8nfYvtl8v=s0 So, she absorbed into herself every iota of energy in that core including the very life force that strengthens her spiritually and physically. Yet, pulling this feat destroys her ship and life support. Remember, she is supposed to be able to survive in space for only 30 seconds unaided. Which brings me to my next point: Uncanny X-Men 166:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/eUx03oWIP12...B8siTgrPAhp=s0

Notice here that the Acanti found Storm while she was in the last moments of her life. So, she had not yet expired when they happened upon her. Also, the Acanti were not actively looking for Storm when they stumbled across from her. She had to have been out in deep space without any life support for an awful long time...certainly much longer than a mere 30 seconds. My belief is it is the energies she absorbed/devoured from the galactic core that sustained her all of that time up until the Acanti found her. I make this claim because as the Uncanny 165 X-Men scans establish, she draws spiritual and material sustenance from living stars and planet and she had just consumed so much of that life force.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post
    I don't personally see a problem with it. Sure it is immensely powerful, however this must be really straining on her body so she wouldn't do it often. I don't think she can control this from earth but I don't know the range of her abilities.
    Nowhere in the scans did it state that this was a strain on her body. In fact, if anything, this was the easiest thing for her to do as the very energies she was absorbing actually strengthened her physically and spiritually and was likely how she survived in deep space for so long before the Acanti found her. The Uncanny 165 scan even stated that it was a simple process for her.
    Last edited by rutog98; 05-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.

She obviously metabolized it. I think that is why she was able to survive in space so long unaided. My theory is she was living off of the life force and energy of all of those heavenly bodies she just devoured. Read this scan from Uncanny X-Men #156: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fk08_a_AUO...CRE6SukYbqN=s0

Notice when Deathbird kicked her out into space, it was stated that Ororo can only survive for 30 seconds out there without life support. So, the X-Men had only 30 seconds to save her.

Now, lets go to the Brood Saga: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/TA1J3mXX9Mx...8gMxMFVdjnu=s0
    Notice how just being in proximity to all of the heavenly bodies in the galactic core, she was able to feed off of their life energies and draw both spiritual and material sustenance from them. Then, she summons the full power of the core and essentially becomes a star that is sum of all the energy in the core crammed into her body: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Z7nv4mGSzvE...QJ8nfYvtl8v=s0 So, she absorbed into herself every iota of energy in that core including the very life force that strengthens her spiritually and physically. Yet, pulling this feat destroys her ship and life support. Remember, she is supposed to be able to survive in space for only 30 seconds unaided. Which brings me to my next point: Uncanny X-Men 166:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/eUx03oWIP12...B8siTgrPAhp=s0

Notice here that the Acanti found Storm while she was in the last moments of her life. So, she had not yet expired when they happened upon her. Also, the Acanti were not actively looking for Storm when they stumbled across from her. She had to have been out in deep space without any life support for an awful long time...certainly much longer than a mere 30 seconds. My belief is it is the energies she absorbed/devoured from the galactic core that sustained her all of that time up until the Acanti found her. I make this claim because as the Uncanny 165 X-Men scans establish, she draws spiritual and material sustenance from living stars and planet and she had just consumed so much of that life force.

Nowhere in the scans did it state that this was a strain on her body. In fact, if anything, this was the easiest thing for her to do as the very energies she was absorbing actually strengthened her physically and spiritually and was likely how she survived in deep space for so long before the Acanti found her. The Uncanny 165 scan even stated that it was a simple process for her.
    Ahh sorry. Haven't read those earlier issues in while. Storm is definitely powerful.

that panel states that she did no such thing.

it specifically says she channels the energy through her body and into the upper atmosphere. she was, in effect, a living conduit for the energy itself. she did not absorb anything.

and then northstar knocked her out cold from the back of the head.
    to be a conduit would mean she would first have to absorb it within her body. after channelling or absorbing the storm she dispersed the residual energy into the upper atmosphere.

to be a conduit would mean she would first have to absorb it within her body. after channelling or absorbing the storm she dispersed the residual energy into the upper atmosphere.
    it would be more correct to say that she channeled the energies, or funneled it. "absorption" implies some sort of retaining factor, for which there she displays none. conduits redirect energy, rather than specifically absorb (for the purposes of containment)

BANNED

it would be more correct to say that she channeled the energies, or funneled it. "absorption" implies some sort of retaining factor, for which there she displays none. conduits redirect energy, rather than specifically absorb (for the purposes of containment)

If I spilled a bucket of water and wanted to clean it up, I could use a sponge to soak up the water and then wring the sponge to deposit the water it absorbed over a sink to send the water down the drain. Did the sponge absorb the water? Yes, it did. What Storm did here was act like a sponge. Just like the sponge was used to soak up the water from the floor, she soaked up the blizzard from where it was. Then, just like the sponge was used to transfer the water to the sink drain by wringing it out, Storm used her body to transfer the blizzard to the top of the atmosphere and she dispersed the energy. So, yes, Storm did absorb the blizzard during the process of her entire feat.

I get what you are saying i just think you're getting caught in semantics. she briefly absorbed the before filtering it into snow flurries. if your issue is that she didn't contain it, you are right she didn't solely contain it.

I get what you are saying i just think you're getting caught in semantics. she briefly absorbed the before filtering it into snow flurries. if your issue is that she didn't contain it, you are right she didn't solely contain it.
    yes, i see your pov as well.

i'm simply looking at what's on the page you presented. imagine the difference between a sponge and a rubber tube. both have the ability to redirect water, but only one has the ability to hold onto the water for x amt of time.

bishop would be an example of a sponge. since his power is inherently tied to both absorbing and redirecting different formats of energies.

storm, at least by the example presented, simply funneled the (already existing) energy through her body and into the upper atmosphere. it makes no mention of her cells being irradiated by the energy of the storm or her holding onto it to emit at a later point in time.

hope that is helpful

BANNED

yes, i see your pov as well.

i'm simply looking at what's on the page you presented. imagine the difference between a sponge and a rubber tube. both have the ability to redirect water, but only one has the ability to hold onto the water for x amt of time.

bishop would be an example of a sponge. since his power is inherently tied to both absorbing and redirecting different formats of energies.

storm, at least by the example presented, simply funneled the (already existing) energy through her body and into the upper atmosphere. it makes no mention of her cells being irradiated by the energy of the storm or her holding onto it to emit at a later point in time.

hope that is helpful
    Storm is not like a rubber tube, though. The rubber tube does not absorb the water into itself. Storm absorbed the blizzard into her very being. She acted like the sponge.

Storm is not like a rubber tube, though. The rubber tube does not absorb the water into itself. Storm absorbed the blizzard into her very being. She acted like the sponge.
    that is your (incorrect) interpretation of what is on that page though and i am not interested in your fantasy, at least not in terms of my response to butterflykyss. i'm interested in what is canon. if there was any mention of "absorption" on that page, you might have a leg to stand on, but as it is, you have nothing to offer me

BANNED

that is your (incorrect) interpretation of what is on that page though and i am not interested in your fantasy, at least not in terms of my response to butterflykyss. i'm interested in what is canon. if there was any mention of "absorption" on that page, you might have a leg to stand on, but as it is, you have nothing to offer me
    She channeled it through her body. The rubber tube you are talking about is a hollow object and the water is moving through that hollow space if its being transferred via a rubber tube. Storm's body is not hollow and she channeled it through her body. What you are claiming is the fantasy.

BANNED

A spong is porous. Is Storm's body porous?