Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Of course not. But tapping into the past works works very well for doing both at once.
    But doing it often is lazy and repetitive. No other creative team reuses their plots as often as Snyder and Tynion.

Their retcons also often rewrite, modify, or undo the well-liked work of other authors and the character's defined history for an easy storytelling shortcut.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    But doing it often is lazy and repetitive. No other creative team reuses their plots as often as Snyder and Tynion.
    I don't agree.

Their retcons also often rewrite, modify, or undo the well-liked work of other authors and the character's defined history for an easy storytelling shortcut.
    What have they actually rewritten or undone, apart from Year One? Any other type of retcon is fair game as long as it's additive and not contradictory.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    You can always re-read his first year of publication.
    Ooh! Gonna need a senzu bean for that burn.

This is true though. Batman: The dark loner...only existed for a year. Dick has been around pretty much as long as him.

BANNED

What have they actually rewritten or undone, apart from Year One? Any other type of retcon is fair game as long as it's additive and not contradictory.
    I freely admit to not knowing Dick or Kate's ENTIRE histories, so don't know if the Court and Colony stuff contradicted anything, but...Cass's origin. The original was perfect, the Nu one is ****, and its not in my personal canon.

I don't agree.

Things like Haley's Circus being an arm of the Court of Owls and Kate's father encouraging her to be Batwoman heavily modifies their backgrounds. We've had this discussion before. Orphan's reworked origin with Mother also changes her history for the worse, more so than Dick or Kate.

I'm fine with flashback stories meant to expand and elaborate upon the past. I'm quite excited for the War of Jokes and my preferred era of stories are earlied in Batman's career from Year One through Dick's tenure as Robin. The difference is that these stories aren't meant to modify the character's history, they are meant to flesh out that era of Batman's career.

Snyder and Tynion insert these threats into the characters' pasts not to flesh out their history, but because it is a quick and easy way to establish and substanciate it as a present day threat. It's a cheap shortcut to produce a new threat rather than develop it.

And while I oppose this technique that I see a a cheap trick, what truly makes it worse it the frequency at which Snyder and Tynion reuse this plot.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 04-24-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The origin story and its associated imagery really do need a long, long rest.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I'm fine with flashback stories meant to expand and elaborate upon the past. I'm quite excited for the War of Jokes and my preferred era of stories are earlied in Batman's career from Year One through Dick's tenure as Robin. The difference is that these stories aren't meant to modify the character's history, they are meant to flesh out that era of Batman's career.
    That's... exactly what they're doing or did.

Snyder and Tynion insert these threats into the characters' pasts not to flesh out their history, but because it is a quick and easy way to establish and substanciate it as a present day threat. It's a cheap shortcut to produce a new threat rather than develop it.
    You develop a threat by having it be threat. That's it. It doesn't matter how that's accomplished.

And yes, those additions do flesh out a character's history. Those added bits don't exist in isolation, they recontextualize some events, enhance others, etc.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I could do without seeing the Wayne's getting killed. In any medium. Ever again.

Repetitive dialogue in King's Batman.

Dialogue being repeated in King's Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    You can always re-read his first year of publication.
    Or several outside media with a practically solo Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Repetitive dialogue in King's Batman.

Dialogue being repeated in King's Batman.
    RCO008_w_1483521154.jpg

10char

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    There was a late Chinese wuxia (ancient martial arts adventure) novelist named Gu Long who wrote dialogue in this manner too.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'd settle for Dini writing Joker again, but barring that, the Joker not appearing for a long, long time. Like after TKJ/Death in the Family.

But yes, murdering huge groups of people doesn't work at all for me. I'd prefer Zsasz if you're going pure evil.
    I'd prefer Joker just...not kill people for like a whole year. Build him up as a threat and Rogue again without making him a generic clown serial killer and bring back his flamboyance and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    This reminds me...

Bruce and Selina referring to each other exclusively as "Bat" and "Cat" ad nauseam.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Bruce and Selina referring to each other exclusively as "Bat" and "Cat" ad nauseam.
    This REALLY does feel like dialogue Frank Miller would right.

BANNED

Can they just stop adding new characters to the Bat-books period? If they want a new ally do what they did with Clayface and redeem a villain. If they want a new villain turn Duke or Harper evil. No original characters required.