Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What are your 3 favorite comic book runs

I made a similar thread in the Marvel forums a while back, figured I should ask the DC side

what are your 3 favorite comic book runs in DC history?

1. Detective Comics #854-863

2. Williams and Blackman's Batwoman

3. (Tie) Simone's Secret Six and Birds of Prey
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

1. Justice League International (especially America, but also Europe) by Giffen & DeMattheis (sp?)
    2. Wonder Woman by William Messner-Loebs
    3. (tie) JSA by Geoff Johns and Aquaman by Geoff Johns
    Last edited by Thor2014; 04-24-2017 at 09:32 PM.

1. The JLI (from Justice League #1 in 1987 up through the end of Breakdowns in JLA #60 and JLE #36 in 1992). The first time that I ever stuck with a book longer than a couple years. And the first time I really understood what being a 'fan' meant, as I earned my fan wings with this one. I was obsessed with the team and was devestated when it came to an end. Breakdowns was a bittersweet send-off, as it felt lackluster with the exception of #60. It was more like watching the book die a slow and painful death, hoping it could recover and return to its glory days.
    The announcement of the Spectacular issue and the return of the books, but without Giffen & DeMatteis, gave some hope. But the spark was gone. The characters had lost their voice. Although, they looked fantasticly drawn by Jurgens and Randall.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

1) Kelley Puckett's Batgirl.

2) Peter David's Young Justice

3) (Tie)...between too many series I love. Just some of them that could hold this spot are: Simone's Secret Six, Giffen and DeMattias's JLI, Peyer and Abnett's respective Legion runs, Johns and Parker's Aquaman runs, Johns and Katz's Booster Gold run, Robinson's Starman, Johns JSA runs, and Rogers' Blue Beetle. Again, just to name a FEW of the books which I could consider my 3rd favorite.

1. The Superman books from John Byrne's Man of Steel mini through Funeral for a Friend
    This was the first time I collected a series form the start and faithfully picked up the new issue every week. Including cross-overs mini series and annuals, Superman was my main hero. After Funeral for a Friend I became more selective but he's still my #1 hero and am Loving his current adventures.

2. The Flash post Crisis issues 1-61
    I think these issues represent the greatest character growth comics have ever seen. Wally made the true hero's journey.

3. L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 1-50
    Love this book as much as I love my favorite TV show Blake's 7. Really starts in the 3 issue Invasion! mini.

Pretty easy to tell when I became a serious collector and started buying books from a real comic shop. Before Crisis on Infinite Earths I just bought random comics from where ever I ran into them.
    Last edited by Tony; 04-24-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Morrison Batman

Johns Flash

Johns JSA

Doom Patrol - Grant Morrison

Swamp Thing - Alan Moore

There are so many amazing books to choose from. Too difficult to narrow down the third. Johns' JSA, Gail Simone's Secret Six and Birds of Prey, Morrison's Batman, Giffen & Rogers' Blue Beetle, Morrison's JLA. The list goes on.

Paul Levitz' second run on the Legion of Super-Heroes, Legion of Super-Heroes v2 #283-Legion of Super-Heroes #63. I love a lot of runs on the Legion, but that's easily my favorite.

Marv Wolfman on the New Teen Titans, New Teen Titans v1 #1-New Titans #70, with New Teen Titans: Games thrown in for the bonus round. Not everything was equally spectacular (the first several years with George Perez as artist were the best), but up until Titans Hunt began, the stories were always enjoyable. And Games was great fun.

Grant Morrison's run on Batman: Batman #655 - Batman, Incorporated v2 #13, with his work spanning four different titles (counting the two volumes of Batman, Inc. as one).

And a bonus mention for Bronze Age Superboy/Legion, Superboy v1 #171-225, the Superboy and Legion stories that really got me into comics and probably the reasons I stayed with them through my adolescence and beyond.
    Last edited by Spiderboy12; 04-25-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Only 3??? That's tough....
    -- Levitz/Giffen - Legion of Super-Heroes
    -- Geoff Johns and various - Green Lantern
    -- Morrison/ Case - Doom Patrol

Amazing Member

Johns' Green Lantern
    Morrison's Action Comics
    Morrison's JLA

This made me realise that I don't own many complete runs at all.

Garth Ennis Hitman - A whole series, that pretty much stands on it's own.

Geoff John's Aquaman - The first time I ever cared about Aquaman since the episode of JLU where he lost his hand.

Grant Morrison's Action Comics - First run I followed from my favorite superhero, before that I have only read limited series like All Star Superman.

Sorry double post.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Hard to narrow it down to just three on the DC side, but probably:

Alan Moore on Swamp Thing
    Wolfman and Perez on NTT
    Englehart and Rogers on Detective Comics

Will probably change my mind in like 5 minutes lol.

Perez and Wolfman's New Teen Titans

Levitz and Giffen's Legion of Super-Heroes

Bisley's Lobo
    Batman - Daredevil