Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Congrats to Nick Spencer on crafting a brilliant story that I absolutely hate

I've honestly found Cap:Steve Rogers terrifying. It's a horror story. The first issue of Secret Empire was devastating, and totally heartbreaking. I still can't figure out (short of a deux ex machina reboot) how this will be resolved. I hate everything that's happening to my favorite character, yet I can't stop reading and I'm anxiously awaiting the next issue. Spencer is killing it with this story. The only times in semi recent years that I have been this invested in a comic story have been Morrison's Batman run and Superior Spider-Man. If anything this is bringing Spencer to the top of the list of Marvel writers and it's shown us how capable he is of handling big events. I'd love to see him get a shot at non-Hydra Steve to see how he handles him.

It's true. I was really apprehensive about this story at first since I don't often enjoy real world politics in my comics, but it's honestly the best thing Marvel's putting out right now. The only downside is the negativity some people try to push regarding this story.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Its sensational.

Obviously only one issue of the actual event has been released, but so far I am really liking what I'm seeing. I read the Opening Salvo books and then #0 and I can't really point to anything that I'm not liking.

It could be because I haven't been reading comics for about 7 years and this is my first event since Secret Invasion (which was crap), but I'm actually really interested to see where this goes and how it resolves.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Ultimate Member

It's an amazing story.

It's making me very uncomfortable but that's the point of the story, seeing the world's most trusted hero turn into what just might be its most dangerous enemy yet. It's a very powerful story.

Although, seeing as how the Cosmic Cube is heavily involved with the story I suspect it will be involved in its resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's an amazing story.

It's making me very uncomfortable but that's the point of the story, seeing the world's most trusted hero turn into what just might be its most dangerous enemy yet. It's a very powerful story.

Although, seeing as how the Cosmic Cube is heavily involved with the story I suspect it will be involved in its resolution.
    Agreed. I think we are going to get a "Superman Prime reality punch" type of ending to this, where everything across the board changes once it's over.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Amazing Member

Huh I have a different opinion, I think the story is well written for the most part but do I find it brilliant? Nope. I find it an incredibly on the nose allegory for Trump, that is relying more on people's overreaction then it's actual merits. It's very similar to Superior Spider-Man people get caught up in the hysteria and hype. Once that is removed you see it for what it really is.

The last real brilliant event Marvel had was Hickman's Secret Wars and before that....you have to go way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Br_Havoc View Post
    Huh I have a different opinion, I think the story is well written for the most part but do I find it brilliant? Nope. I find it an incredibly on the nose allegory for Trump, that is relying more on people's overreaction then it's actual merits. It's very similar to Superior Spider-Man people get caught up in the hysteria and hype. Once that is removed you see it for what it really is.

The last real brilliant event Marvel had was Hickman's Secret Wars and before that....you have to go way back.
    We are only on issue #0 let it play out before it is either praised or bashed. One thing is that is does not seem like it is going the be boring as Bendis's CWII was.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

Huh I have a different opinion, I think the story is well written for the most part but do I find it brilliant? Nope. I find it an incredibly on the nose allegory for Trump, that is relying more on people's overreaction then it's actual merits.
    People overreact because people are stupid. Majority of the readers of this and every other book, I can assure you, they enjoy the books, or, if they don't like them, they just stop buying them. This stuff happens only on forums and other online social venues, where some people think they can say whatever they want because they are protected behind a screen and feel free to insult and vent their personal frustrations. It's called vocal minority for a reason.

It's very similar to Superior Spider-Man people get caught up in the hysteria and hype. Once that is removed you see it for what it really is.
    A lot of people still like a lot Superior, me included. A lot of people bought it and kept buying it. Again, the opinion of a few noisy internet people, or click baiting, or in the case of SE far right websites, are not the truth.

Thanks to SE # 0, I went back & started reading all of the Captain America: Steve Rogers issues.

Glad I did, I am really enjoying the story. Spencer is going a great job!

Pretty much the only thing going on at Marvel that is keeping my interest.

BANNED

I hate events. All they do is interrupt the stories I want to read. Didn't read secret wars (beyond two or three issues) only read one of Civil bore and I promised myself I would stay away from this secret empire stuff. The word of mouth for this has me intrigued though. I put the first issue on my wish list. I may actually buy it. I hope it's worth it if I do.

Except Hydra Cap is nothing like Trump so

it's really made me like reading about Cap. I purchased Brubaker and Remender runs just because the current event got me into 'Captain America' mode.

As someone put it, this is like evil Batman taking down the Justice League.Watching steve put his master plan in motion was chilling. Finally, we got a proper mastermind supervillian plotline. How long has it been? Since Dark Reign? Thats almost a decade ago. Kind of sad its been so long but better late than never.

I tend to hate big events too but thats because they come out of nowhere and are needlessly disruptive to the current storylines. On the other hand, secret empire has got the proper long term build up any major event should have.
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 04-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    As someone put it, this is like evil Batman taking down the Justice League.Watching steve put his master plan in motion was chilling. Finally, we got a proper mastermind supervillian plotline. How long has it been?
    The sad part is the best villain in years is a beloved hero, are Marvel villains really that far gone?
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting