Page 57 of 118 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast

Is there any comic precedent for Lex and Calrk being childhood friends? Or just smallvile? Thought they were gonna have him go to the kent farm after lexs house and logistically made sense to have it right down the street. But since that didnt happen I assume it's either a nod to Smallvile or its gonna pay off down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Is there any comic precedent for Lex and Calrk being childhood friends? Or just smallvile? Thought they were gonna have him go to the kent farm after lexs house and logistically made sense to have it right down the street. But since that didnt happen I assume it's either a nod to Smallvile or its gonna pay off down the road.
    I think Lex and Superboy were friends in the Silver Age before an accident led to Lex losing his hair and blaming Superboy for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Lex and Superboy were friends in the Silver Age before an accident led to Lex losing his hair and blaming Superboy for it.
    Ok I thought smallville came up with that angle

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ok I thought smallville came up with that angle
    I think it definitely popularized the concept. I remember the subsequent revamps to Superman's origin that happened around the time the show came out made Clark and Lex growing up together (if not necessarily being close friends) more prominent.

Incredible Member

I think it definitely popularized the concept. I remember the subsequent revamps to Superman's origin that happened around the time the show came out made Clark and Lex growing up together (if not necessarily being close friends) more prominent.
    Yeah it started in Silver Age with the first origin of Lex Luthor in Adventure Comics#271, but Smallville popularized the concept and ever since Birthright/Secret Origins, it's been a reoccurring point in comics and both the Supergirl and Titans tv show to have Lex and Clark be childhood friends from Smallville before they both moved to Metropolis.

That was a really good character focused episode. We don't even really know what Lex and Superman are like in this continuity because we haven't met them, but we got a good idea of who they are through Conner and his internal struggle of being part of both of them. I also loved Krypto. My only complaint is...is Conner's costume really going to be a cheap Superman T-shirt with no modifications?

Right. Lex was working on a cure for the effects kryptonite has on Superboy, and a fire broke out in his lab. Superboy used his super breath to put it out, but Lex's hair went with it. Lex was...not too happy about that. I can't remember if it was Superfriends or one of those old Superboy shorts, but there was an animated version of this story.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    That was a really good character focused episode. We don't even really know what Lex and Superman are like in this continuity because we haven't met them, but we got a good idea of who they are through Conner and his internal struggle of being part of both of them. I also loved Krypto. My only complaint is...is Conner's costume really going to be a cheap Superman T-shirt with no modifications?
    Why would it be more than that? The t-shirt and jeans was Connor's best look.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's definitely a look that suits a live-action aesthetic well, particularly Titans' aesthetic.

I like Superboy's 90's look but I'm not sure how it would look in live-action. Maybe Conner can still wear a jacket.

Astonishing Member

Totally agree. And they are almost always in street clothes anyway. Only Robin wears a costume consistently

It is, and I'm glad they're using it, but...no modifications whatsoever? Maybe it's just because I'm coming off the Supergirl premiere, but if all he's going to wear is a cheap souvenir t-shirt, that thing is going to get shredded in every battle, and Connor is going to end up constantly shirtless, and...hm...maybe they know what they're doing.

Astonishing Member

It is, and I'm glad they're using it, but...no modifications whatsoever? Maybe it's just because I'm coming off the Supergirl premiere, but if all he's going to wear is a cheap souvenir t-shirt, that thing is going to get shredded in every battle, and Connor is going to end up constantly shirtless, and...hm...maybe they know what they're doing.
    LOL right? I read that and was like and him being shirtless is bad how? Find a way to get his pants ripped off too I'm coo with that

Or they could go with the "protective aura" thing that I think Byrne came up with Superman and why his outfits weren't shredded all the time.

Although can you imagine a super-powered guy charging you buck naked? Screw bats, that'd be scary. (and despite not having a mask, nobody'd be looking at his face)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-17-2019 at 04:56 PM.

spoilers:

Reaction 1: WTF?

Reaction 2: That escalated quickly.

Reaction 3: The Batusi lives!

Reaction 4: Yep, Joshua Orpin has definitely been working out.

Reaction 5: Seriously, though, it seems that someone is messing with the team’s minds at a level much deeper than ordinary manipulation. Deathstroke would know about the kid Light killed, and I guess intel might reveal Hank’s substance abuse problem. But Rachel’s history with crosses and the significance of orange soda seem beyond ordinary research and suggest telepathy. For that matter, Jason’s troubles seem to be more hypnosis than PTSD. Put it all together, and I am starting to suspect that Slade may be as dead as the Titans thought he was, but Jericho may be considerably more alive.

end of spoilers

Mighty Member

This show is on a roll, honestly. It's not flawless, but it's turning into really good TV. This episode was transitional, but I absolutely love the way it brings everything around and closes the loop. Everything in Grayson's head, going back to the first episode, finally makes some coherent sense beyond just being a choice for tone. It's almost startling how well it all fits.

I say this every week, but Jason makes this show. Jason and Grayson together are absolute gold, but Curran Walters turned in a real gem of a performance this week. He wasn't alone. Standout moments for Dick, and the single best moments for Rose in the season so far.

spoilers:
    Head-Bruce is something I would have told you wouldn't work, but which did. And the Batusi! I was laughing so hard I almost missed the rest of the scene.

Suicidal Jason. This kid is just being put through the ringer. Can we keep him? I don't think I want to watch this show without Jason in it. And I loved his sequence with Rose. They make such a cute couple. I'm not usually one to ship, but after this episode, I totally am. I liked the bait and switch with her on the Judas Contract bit too. Teasing her as the mole in the tower with the little trinkets before revealing that Slade has been inside all along.

Dick took his biggest leap towards Nightwing in a while. But the fallout from the rest of the team might not be pretty. Next week, Jericho!
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post

spoilers:

Reaction 1: WTF?

Reaction 2: That escalated quickly.

Reaction 3: The Batusi lives!

Reaction 4: Yep, Joshua Orpin has definitely been working out.

Reaction 5: Seriously, though, it seems that someone is messing with the team’s minds at a level much deeper than ordinary manipulation. Deathstroke would know about the kid Light killed, and I guess intel might reveal Hank’s substance abuse problem. But Rachel’s history with crosses and the significance of orange soda seem beyond ordinary research and suggest telepathy. For that matter, Jason’s troubles seem to be more hypnosis than PTSD. Put it all together, and I am starting to suspect that Slade may be as dead as the Titans thought he was, but Jericho may be considerably more alive.

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, I've been saying for weeks that a riff on Geoff Johns' first Teen Titans plot felt more and more likely, and they are certainly setting it up if they want to go that way.
    end of spoilers

It's taken a bit, but this show is really becoming stronger with each week.

How are the ratings this season?