Page 27 of 118 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    Retired

It's not so much that it's bad as it's not good. The script is very generic. Why does Akiva Goldsman keep getting hired to write screenplays? He must know where all the bodies are buried in Hollywood. It's like he has a computer at home where he enters in a few keywords and a minute later the computer spits out a full script.

The actress was fine as Starfire--although, I'd've preferred they gave an Asian actress the part, as there aren't many opportunities in the Titans for Asian actors--but why was she stuck in a 1970s Blaxploitation movie, right down to the music and the clothing? And the way she gets her Earth name, Kory Anders, seems to preclude her ever being Koriand'r unless by some fantastic coincidence. It appears they opted for her to have pyrotechnic powers because that was more affordable in the effects budget.

But the Starfire part of the story was a little more entertaining than all the stuff surrounding Raven.

Akiva Goldsman can be confident that his record for schlock remains unbroken. Give this man a slow clap.

I liked it much more than expected.
    I have issues with the tone and violence, for sure, and wish they’d gone a bit brighter.
    The Starfire elements were my favorite and I think the actress did a great job, plus she’s beautiful and has strong presence.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The actress was fine as Starfire--although, I'd've preferred they gave an Asian actress the part, as there aren't many opportunities in the Titans for Asian actors
    The actor who plays Beast Boy is Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly
    But the Starfire part of the story was a little more entertaining than all the stuff surrounding Raven.
    I find Raven's story to be kinda dumb. The cult hunting her down as enough members for any random person is a danger to her but for some reason they can't be bothered to cover up their murder of her mom.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The actor who plays Beast Boy is Asian.

I find Raven's story to be kinda dumb. The cult hunting her down as enough members for any random person is a danger to her but for some reason they can't be bothered to cover up their murder of her mom.
    It occurred to me on a rewatch that Raven could be pursued by multiple parties: the fanatic who killed her mother and wants to kill her to keep Trigon from coming, Starfire, who's clearly after her, and probably a third group that could be Trigon follower and could maybe be the people she ran into in Detroit.

Though part of the deal with Raven is that only two adaptations of her Trigon story have ever been good, even though it keeps on being resurrected.

It's bold, but risky. Whether or not those risks pay off is going to depend on the rest of the series. I personally *liked* the pilot, and had some fun with it in a recap, reaction, and review.

The show *does* have strong acting, with Raven being the closest to a weak spot but still leaning more towards too much (always better than too little.) Anna Diop especially does a great job with an amnesiac Starfire, carrying her scenes by herself with strong eye-centered acting and a sense of humor. The show also has good action... Though one of the big risks is still centered on Robin's tactics and whatever their full intentions are with him and Batman. Still, overall, the pilot makes good on that proclamation that the characters will basically carry different genres of film, especially with Raven having a full on Carrie/Excorcist hybrid.

Now, here's the big questions that the next few episodes have to answer:

- How is Beast Boy going to be presented? I have faith in Ryan Potter and his one scene was entertaining, but he's clearly going to be the lightest element of the show, and if they can nail that, we may have more balance with the show than it seems right now. If not, then we have a problem...
    - What is Starfire's "true" final personality going to be? If she's got amnesia, than we're probably going to have her memory return and modify her behavior; I'm betting it'll turn out she's hunting Raven originally and is going to befriend her before realizing she originally wanted to kill her. They're using the more aggressive version of comic Starfire, but kind of like with Beats Boy, we need to see her personality done well. Diop has a good delivery fro the few jokes she has, now let's see her being sweet towards someone.
    - Can they live up to the potential of Raven's story? Teegan Croft is young and a little raw, but clearly knows what emotions and reactions the character should have, and the idea of a Carrie/Damian character becoming a hero and having her soul fought over by good people and bad people is a strong one; her classmate Matt standing up for her, her mother's faith in her, and Dick's protectiveness make a nice contrast to the fanatic trying to kill her to stop Trigon and the bully on the bus.
    - and lastly, and most importantly... Is there a plan and purpose behind having Robin be so brutal and Batman be a killer? If it's just about trying to be edgy, then its a bad move that may poison the show. IF they have a plan, IF that plan involves making Robin dynamic and Batman dynamic as well, and if the basis is a story idea with a plan... Then it *might* be a smart gamble.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Anna Diop is good, but I really don't care for how they're handling Kory.
    I agree. If there was one stand-out performer it was Anna Diop despite her hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The actress was fine as Starfire--although, I'd've preferred they gave an Asian actress the part, as there aren't many opportunities in the Titans for Asian actors--but why was she stuck in a 1970s Blaxploitation movie, right down to the music and the clothing? And the way she gets her Earth name, Kory Anders, seems to preclude her ever being Koriand'r unless by some fantastic coincidence. It appears they opted for her to have pyrotechnic powers because that was more affordable in the effects budget.
    I imagine "Kory Anders" is just an adaption of her alien name that she's using on Earth, and will probably be the reason the team will usually call her "Kory" even once they learn her real name.

Gerry Conway Calls Out DC, Geoff Johns for Failing to Credit Comic Creators on Titans
    F**king disgusting that @DCComics did not give screen credit to @marvwolfman and @perezartist for creating half the characters in Titans, only "based on characters from DC" as if DC created them. Yet lots of space for SIX Executive Producer credits.

— Gerry Conway (@gerryconway) October 13, 2018
    Would it have cost you anything to give credit where credit is due, @DCComics? "Based on characters from DC," that's just pathetic. Fix this. Do the right thing. Stop being jerks. Because this is jerk behavior.

— Gerry Conway (@gerryconway) October 13, 2018

While I don't really want to minimize this, it seems like it would just be one of a few basic things that folks seem to feel like this show is getting wrong.

I really enjoyed the first episode and was surprised and even relieved that Starfire was way more interesting than I expected she'd be. I like the actor, too--if not her wardrobe! Brenton Thwaites is an awesome Robin but it sure is shocking to see the character so violent.

Came into watching this thinking it was going to be crap.

Was actually pretty good and was bummed that not more episodes were out. Thes Starfire bits were probably the most compelling.

Extraordinary Member

Don’t really care about this because while New Teen Titans is one of my favorite DC runs, Perez and Wolfman didn’t crest Robin, Jason Todd, Beast Boy, didn’t create Hawk or Dove, didn’t create Donna Troy, and didn’t even create the original Teen Titans concept. Raven and Starfire are the only major original creations by them.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen Conway's name on any of the Arrowverse shows. Could be why he's sensitive to this? He created a good chunk of the characters on those shows.

Retired

I'm pretty sure that when Conway complained about this before, re the CW shows, they reached out to him and all was resolved and he got credit as well as royalties. So he might be complaining on behalf of others who haven't got the same deal he got eventually.

Even if there's a hundred different creators it's easy enough to put all their names at the end credits--have you seen end credits, there's thousands of names including the caterers. The important thing is to give some compensation to the creators and their families. The Siegel and Shuster families get credit and compensation from SUPERGIRL and they didn't even create the character (that was Otto Binder and Al Plastino). I can see reason for crediting Wolfman and Perez, because this version seems to adapt some of the stuff they created--especially the stuff surrounding the Raven character--but there should also be credit for Arnold Drake, Bob Haney, Bruno Premiani, Bill Finger, Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson.

Well, f*ck. I liked the first episode!
    D@mmit!!

I doubt this was a deliberate snub to Wolfman and Perez.

I think Wolfman was invited onto the set and was at the premier.