Page 53 of 118 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
    www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Sound seem uneven for anyone else? Like one minute the dialouge is low as can be, the next, audio is blowing out my tv speakers during an action scene cuz i had to turn it up to hear the dialogue

Mighty Member

I thought episode 2 was a lot stronger, though far from flawless. There is a LOT of telling, not showing, in this episode. The kid from Wyoming? Told. Shimmer? Told. Rose's powers? Told. Some of it is budget, some of it is time constraints, they wanted to really cruise through a lot of material here. But it felt like only getting half the episode in places. Also there were some janky visual effects (the Jeep exploding at the end, and Rose's leap were both poorly executed in different ways).

That said, the character work here is was excellent. Hawk and Dove's segment was really well done, and boiled a lot of angst down into one explosive conversation. Kory and Donna were gold. The actresses both seem like they get along really well, and bounce off each other quite strongly. Gar and Rachel both get good moments that are quieter, and I'm curious about the set up in Rachel's 'dream'.

Grayson gets all the best moments again, though. Dick and Jason? Perfection. Dick and Bruce? Super strong. I love how Bruce is basically a grandparent here, giving Dick parenting advice. And yet Dick still goes his own way, showing that he's not Batman.

We didn't get much of the titular Rose. Hard to judge the actress based on what we've gotten so far. But I have no complaints as yet, so a good sign.

And I do wish they'd give the villain a little more depth. Dr. Light is pretty one note, but considering he only had the one scene I suppose I should give it time. They may add more to the character moving forward. At least they made him a credible threat right off the bat.

I agree, we didn't get "shown" a lot but it didn't take that much away from the story either. At first I thought Dick recognized Rose parentage but appearently not?
    Quite a bit of story interweaving already, I hope they knew what they are doing.

Just catching up with the show now, so yeah...
    -- Ep 1 : As others have said, Trigon went down so easily. It didn't help that once Dick woke, there was no tension - he let her take care of it, and she was being snarky the whole time, like it was no big deal. Did Dick even do anything? Why was it important that Raven wake him up? It seemed that was supposed to be important, but it wasn't. None of them were, really except for Gar so he could wake up Raven. The rest were dead weight. Maybe they knew this came across as so anti-climactic that they didn't want to actually end the first season with it and went with the cliff-hanger instead. The Batman casting was okay I guess, but I was distracted by the bald patch and that this was supposed to be a Batman who was still active and running around with the JLA. I dunno ... if he were a retired Batman I could buy it.
    -- Ep 2 : A lot of storylines, not sure what to make of any of them yet, really. Glad that Donna is hanging around though - she's one of the best cast members, imo. And nothing with Superboy yet? Just one more storyline- I wonder if this show can handle them all well. I'm afraid something's going to get short-shrift.

A lot of teasing of Roy Harper throughout the episode too. Seems he's a recovering addict in this universe, and Hank is his sponsor. Also good to see Dick transitioning to big brother Dick, and Jason becoming something of a leader for the younger kids. Though still with a nose for trouble.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I agree, we didn't get "shown" a lot but it didn't take that much away from the story either. At first I thought Dick recognized Rose parentage but appearently not?
    Quite a bit of story interweaving already, I hope they knew what they are doing.
    Dick would recognize her parentage if he did what Jason did. But rather have Rose tell him.

So, are they planning to use Rose as the Terra for their version of "Judas Contract?" Was that very public and televised fight with police/car chase staged to get Dick's attention? It would eliminate the problematic relationship Slade had with Terra. And if so, did Rose sacrifice an eye just to sell the act??

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

The acting is a lot stronger season, especially from Rachel who has improved quite a lot. I also think in terms of writing and dialogue this second episode has been one of the best they've got. Nothing feels as try hard or out of place. The action scenes we got here were really good too. Longer takes, steadier cam and good editing. I want to see more of that. Do agree about the too kany story lines thing. But other than that, pretty good episode.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Watching this episode makes me wonder what happened to Dick's day job. He brings up Detroit when talking to Bruce but it seems the series forgot he was a detective.

Speaking of day jobs, it was odd to see Donna back in the life as her appearance last season made a strong stance about her doing more good as an investigative journalist than a superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So, are they planning to use Rose as the Terra for their version of "Judas Contract?" Was that very public and televised fight with police/car chase staged to get Dick's attention? It would eliminate the problematic relationship Slade had with Terra. And if so, did Rose sacrifice an eye just to sell the act??
    I love "Judas Contract" but DC used it so many times: Young Justice tv show, Teen Titans (2003) and that animated movie with the same name so...

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    I love "Judas Contract" but DC used it so many times: Young Justice tv show, Teen Titans (2003) and that animated movie with the same name so...
    The Young Justice series at least shows there can be new twists to it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I would like that better than when Rose took her own eye out in the comics just so she could show Slade that now they were exactly the same. Even if she was hopped up on the drugs Slade was giving her at the time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    It's the Dark Phoenix of the Titans universe. I think Rose will likely be a stand in--mainly because Terra's powers could get expensive.

That said, I wouldn't mind a quiet "Who is Donna Troy?" type episode.

Mighty Member

There's a part of me that is genuinely curious if the people behind this series have the stones to Death in the Family Jason Todd, at Deathstroke's hand, this early. Probably not. But part of me....

Jason steals this show right out from under the rest of the cast, he really does. Not that Dick and Donna don't remain spectacular. And I'm really loving Starfire's actress, even if they can't do anything remotely interesting with the character so far. I'm still undecided on Rose.

But Raven had better be evil. Or that acting was positively atrocious. Ugh. She had been better in last week's entry. Baby steps, I suppose.

Morales' Slade is just about perfect so far. No bombast or machismo, just quiet professionalism. I'm waiting for him to completely lose it and start chewing scenery at some point, however.

Is anybody else getting some Geoff Johns' early TT vibes from this plot so far?
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 09-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.

It was great seeing Jason put the hurt on Light. But you can tell he's wondering if Bruce kicked him out for other reasons and it's eating him up. Combine that with Rachel almost skewering him, yeah. Kori had a more relaxed role, but she really did become close to Rachel. Big sister Kori on the way!

And, yeah. It seems to be hinting at Death in the Family for Jason here.