Page 60 of 118 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved the way they depicted Dick's inner struggle over being the kind of good, strong man Bruce was to him- to Jason and the others. Having to step up and be the father figure. We saw bits of that with Rachel in s1, but I felt the scene with Jason really nailed it. Especially him looking back at Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Bruce's contingencies have a history of being used against him or his allies

Dick trains and gets better as well. So does just about every other superhero while remembering to have a life.

Yeah and Dick is one of them. There's a reason he was chosen to be Batman after Bruce died.
    Yea all Heroes train but they also have a life as you said. Bruce doesn't. All NBA players practice( Except Iverson, "We talking about Practice?" ) but Michale Jordan's Practice methods were notoriously insane.

Dicks a better leader and more acrobatic. That's about all hes got on Bruce imo. But this is getting way off topic and away from my original point. Bruce's metal health issues is what makes him a better Batman then Dick could ever be. We could argue about who's better at what but the difference In stats between the two would be small anyway except for in Intellect. And Bruce's Obsessive nature synergize well with it. imo the reason Dick wouldnt be as good of a Batman as Bruce is because hes mentally sound and well adjusted. Agree to disagree I suppose

Fun fact: the bike Dick drove in the previous episode belongs to his stunt double.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TitansTV/co...th_a_fun_fact/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea all Heroes train but they also have a life as you said. Bruce doesn't. All NBA players practice( Except Iverson, "We talking about Practice?" ) but Michale Jordan's Practice methods were notoriously insane.

Dicks a better leader and more acrobatic. That's about all hes got on Bruce imo. But this is getting way off topic and away from my original point. Bruce's metal health issues is what makes him a better Batman then Dick could ever be. We could argue about who's better at what but the difference In stats between the two would be small anyway except for in Intellect. And Bruce's Obsessive nature synergize well with it. imo the reason Dick wouldnt be as good of a Batman as Bruce is because hes mentally sound and well adjusted. Agree to disagree I suppose
    Yeah, Dick only has Bruce on two things:

1) He's a nice, more approachable guy (at least historically)
    2) That gluteus maximus

Mighty Member

This one was pretty by the numbers. Nothing we didn't expect, more or less straightforward. I'm not a Deathstroke guy, usually, I don't know much about his continuity (outside of what Priest has done in his Deathstroke Rebirth run, which has been godly). So I don't know if Priest's take is new, or if they just didn't adapt it here, but I'll confess to being a little disappointed that Adeline didn't take Slade's eye over Jericho. I liked that bit from the comics.

Jericho's actor is quite good, considering he doesn't get to use his voice. And Hank-Jericho is almost up there with Head-Bruce for sheer comedy value.

Considering how much of this episode was easy to predict going in, I was actually really impressed by the delivery. The beats with Jericho felt particularly strong, and both Dick and Donna continue to be amazing. And some pretty solid action watching them each, in turn, take on Slade. I especially liked how they adapted Deathstroke's staff, a nice comic based touch.

And absolutely nothing in this episode undermines my Jericho theory for the season. It still isn't definitive by any measure, especially given Slade's speech in the church. But it remains a strong possibility. I'm also more than a little intrigued by how similar Rose and Jericho are. Music and dancing. And maybe people using other people to get at Slade. Opens another potential door if the creators want to go that way.

Another strong entry to this season, which continues to develop in a good fashion. Keep it up, Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    This one was pretty by the numbers. Nothing we didn't expect, more or less straightforward.....
    That was my biggest criticism of this episode. After all the hinting, i was hoping for something a little more surprising the way it went down. We still might not know the full story, but so far, like you said, it's what you'd expect - Dick feels responsible, but he didn't murder Jericho and Slade killed Jericho, but he didn't mean to. Wow, same with Garth - how good an assassin is he - he seems to miss a lot more than you'd expect. And did it seem almost comical to anyone else the way they staged Garth almost jumping to the side to accidentally get in the way of that bullet?

I also agree that the kid who played Jericho did a great job. As the emotional core of this storyline, he pulled it off.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    And did it seem almost comical to anyone else the way they staged Garth almost jumping to the side to accidentally get in the way of that bullet?
    See, I didn't take it as an accident. But rather him very intentionally throwing himself in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That was my biggest criticism of this episode. After all the hinting, i was hoping for something a little more surprising the way it went down. We still might not know the full story, but so far, like you said, it's what you'd expect - Dick feels responsible, but he didn't murder Jericho and Slade killed Jericho, but he didn't mean to. Wow, same with Garth - how good an assassin is he - he seems to miss a lot more than you'd expect. And did it seem almost comical to anyone else the way they staged Garth almost jumping to the side to accidentally get in the way of that bullet?

I also agree that the kid who played Jericho did a great job. As the emotional core of this storyline, he pulled it off.
    Well, he does only have one eye. Not very good for aiming. There's a reason he isn't called Deadshot.

To be honest, I'd have been surprised if they really did have Dick kill an innocent kid. For all the complaints about how "edgy" this show is, it's been careful about making sure the only ones the heroes kill are villains. Whether or not you think they should be killing at all is a different story.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-26-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

If Deathstroke can't shoot straight with one eye then he isn't Deathstroke lol. spoilers:
    To be honest I don't see the point of changing who the bullet was for. We don't really know what Jillian doeS so I don't get why Slade would want to kill her. And I would think Garth would have taken the shot for Donna instead, so changing the target to Jillian kinda undermines that.

However this episode highlights my biggest problem with Titans: Dick Grayson gets the most character work, but the character work is bad. Season one spent a long time drumming in that Batman had taken in a young Dick who has violent thoughts and his training turned him into a hyper-violent vigilante. Dick separated himself from Bruce to let go of his darkness (going through this character arc like twice), only to have it reverted by Trigon at the end. Season two immediately does away with this, and then Dick admits to Bruce that he simply projected his darkness unto him instead of confronting it. We then get a repeat of this again with this Deathstroke/Jericho plot and the last episode once again saw Dick projecting before confronting it. Last episode has Dick walking around with a supposed secret and heavy burden of how the Titans got mixed up with Deathstroke, and admits to Jason that he killed Jericho. Except no he didn't, and it was Deathstroke that killed him by accident, and Dick merely feels responsible.

I know I and many people had their issues with how edgy this show has been, but I would at least appreciate it if this stuff was written well and if they'd commit to it. It's like Titans is trying to have it both ways. They want a dark version of Dick Grayson, but whenever the opportunity presents itself to go there and earn some catharsis, they cop out. Dick killing Jericho was an interesting plot. It makes Slade a lot more sympathetic, Dick's potential redemption arc a lot stronger and his relationship with characters like Rachel and Jason a lot more meaningful. The conflict between the Titans and Deathstroke could have reached a grey area but now it goes back to being black and white because Slade decided to do a dramatic turnaround before he drew his sword to kill Dick, accidentally killing Jericho in the process.

Why was this treated like such a secret no one else knew when the rest of the Titans knew Dick's bad call led to Jericho's death and that's why they broke up? The way the last episode handled this doesn't fit tonally how it was explained this time, especially when Dick told Jason about it to save his life. It's not to say Dick can't feel responsible, but all of the Titans should. They all decided to befriend Jericho, they all agreed to take him in and use his for information. They all caused his death by involving him in their game of vengeance. Dick getting the majority of the blame (and thus the character work) does not feel right.

Nitpicking includes Jericho's use of his powers (or lack thereof). The first time we see him use his power feels a bit pointless. Yes the guy was a sexist pig, but considering Jericho never uses his powers again after this (or after the time Slade discovers it) feels weird. He doesn't use it when he and his mother are held hostage, nor does he use it when Dick interrupts his meeting with his father or when Slade is about to kill Dick. But I did like Chella Man's performance this episode and finally we got to see Titans make good use of Alan Ritchson's comedic prowess. The one-take action scene with Slade in the beginning was unnecessary because it neither explained what he was doing there, it was a bad one-take and it dragged the flashback. It should have just cut to Slade returning home. And Slade's powers seem to fluctuate depending on who he's fighting.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    See, I didn't take it as an accident. But rather him very intentionally throwing himself in front of it.
    That's exactly what happened.

edited post.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-26-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    snip

spoilers:
    The season 1 episode where the Titans were tortured by Trigon's cult had Dick being confronted by a hallucination of his younger self who blamed him for his problems. Earlier than that we had the episode with Dick as a kid saying he wanted to kill the person responsible for his parents' death. Dick's issues with Bruce being merely a source of projection was noted pretty early on and didn't just come out of nowhere in season 2. Especially when the one time we saw Bruce being hyper violent was in a hallucination Trigon subjected Dick to.

The thing about character development is that it isn't linear. Dick's problems are not going to automatically go away just because he wants them to.

The first season was all about how dark Dick could be and this second season hasn't really shied away from it all that much but they still want him to be a sympathetic character.

Why does Slade of all characters need to be made more sympathetic? Hell, this show already made him less of a bastard by leaving out stuff like him committing statutory rape and altering the plot to make the Titans kind of responsible for the death of his kid when in the comics it was Slade's poor raising of his son that led to his demise. And weren't you complaining about how Dick killing Jericho would mean he and the other Titans have no real morals?

Honestly, I myself feel kind of dumb for even thinking they'd ever go there given that DC heroes killing villains is met with controversy.

It was the new Titans team that Dick was afraid of telling this secret too not the old ones. And he was afraid of telling them because the original team already left him after Jericho's death.

Donna tells Dick in the second episode that he needs to tell Rachel, Gar and Jason "our sins" so they know what they were getting into so it wasn't just Dick who felt guilty. Hank and Dawn haven't quite owned up to it yet but I imagine they both feel guilty too even if they haven't admitted it.

Jericho stated that his powers work through eye contact. The guys who attacked the Wilsons were wearing masks and weren't close enough for him to make eye contact with. Combine this with him being obviously scared in that moment and his powers wouldn't be of much use. And as for Slade either his father wouldn't fall for that trick since he knows about his son's powers or Jericho couldn't bring himself to use those powers on his dad.
    end of spoilers

By sheer coincidence, the second episode I was assigned to review from Titan's second season also happens to be a flashback episode. Still, I actually liked this one, and was very impressed by the portrayal of Deathstroke and Jericho's father-son relationship. Although, if I were to give this episode a subtitle, I'd be "Dick Grayson did nothing wrong." And yet his teammates (and the writing) act like what happened is all his fault when it clearly isn't.

Titans season 2, episode 8 review: Jericho
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    By sheer coincidence, the second episode I was assigned to review from Titan's second season also happens to be a flashback episode. Still, I actually liked this one, and was very impressed by the portrayal of Deathstroke and Jericho's father-son relationship. Although, if I were to give this episode a subtitle, I'd be "Dick Grayson did nothing wrong." And yet his teammates (and the writing) act like what happened is all his fault when it clearly isn't.

Rationally they did nothing wrong but it's normal when something bad happens to say to yourself" If I never did that, this would of never happened." . A dad who cant make it to pick up his kids for the weekend and then there a fatal crash that weekend. It's not the dads fault but if he would made time to pick up his kids that wouldnt have happened. So or course the what ifs are gonna riddle him with guilt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    . Although, if I were to give this episode a subtitle, I'd be "Dick Grayson did nothing wrong." And yet his teammates (and the writing) act like what happened is all his fault when it clearly isn't.

If Dick had cut Jericho loose, like he had already agreed to, or if Dick hadn't gone to Jericho's meeting with Slade, like he promised he wouldn't, Jericho would not have died.

I agree that given how things played out IN THE fight, Dick did nothing wrong. But that fight never should have happened. I think it is totally in characterfor Dick to carry that weight. Moreover, I 100% think he should. He didn't put Joey first, he lost himself to his desire to hurt Slade.

I actually really like this development though. Robin is just a kid. He has a lot to learn and he makes stupid mistakes. But Nightwing can be better, a man who has learned from his failings to become his best self. Dick needs to stop trying to be what he thinks Batman is, and he needs to become his true self.