Page 12 of 118 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I decided to re-watch the trailer and unpack this;

1. Warning of content: Not only was this not what WB is leading with and flooding one of its channels with, and a movie aimed at kids, the people who will be buying your merchandise will not be primarily watching this. Netflix has built-in buyers meaning that Marvel can put one of these out so long as its in the contract or if not, Netflix finds it profitable. Marvel doesn't necessarily lose anything on the deal because if it is good it brings people onto the platform, a platform which is a household name. DC universe is untested and appeals to a small group who are already looking for this content. This is not a good business idea to appeal to that small of a demographic, especially seeing as how the films keep falling in part to this.

2. They do not get the characters but most specifically, Robin.
    Robin:
    -stabs somebody in the neck
    -Snaps somebodies neck with his boot
    -uses guns
    -"**** Batman"
    -Was that a whip crack for the throwing star sound?

There might be some more context to this, but why is this in the trailer you are selling to your audience? Batman or Superman? Wonder woman? Nah, here's a pretty boy who kills people and says ****. This is Robin right? That guy people might know from the Batman movies, the thing people claimed turned Batman into a crazed Vigilante in BVS, the leader of the team on Teen Titans Go! and its movie? Why was this the first choice? Green Arrow wasn't that well known prior to Arrow when it came to the mass public but Robin? That's just overly dark its laughable.

3. Raven
    Raven is an Emo kid who can't control herself and speaks of cringy lines like "sometimes when I feel the darkness it feels good". She looks sad in the mirror and an evil doppleganger bangs on the glass with blacked out eyes. Raven seems to be the through-line to the characters coming together as well as what is setting the tone for the show. To the point the final scene is her screaming with blacked out eyes and the logo breaks the glass/fourth wall to the tune of "madness, madness, madness". So TT Go! isn't what the Titans are, Teen Titans isn't what the Titans are? What is it? Titans are a low budget version of what the critically panned and financially suicidal films are.

Who in the Hell thought this was a good idea?
    Agreed.

I think they are going for the Netflix Marvel feel except the use of violence and lethal force and debates around these are constant issues in the Netflix series. With the exception of Punisher, the Netflix heroes have utilised violence but have been hesitant in using lethal force (although DD almost killed someone in Season 2). With the exception of Beast Boy and Raven, we see all the Titans burn, shoot, slice and snap the necks of street mooks.

Heroes can use lethal force but the way it's displayed by the Titans in the trailer just feels...off. It's just trying too hard to be mature.

All that's missing from that trailer was some edgy Linkin Park.

Or better still Evanescence.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

I think they are going for the Netflix Marvel feel except the use of violence and lethal force and debates around these are constant issues in the Netflix series. With the exception of Punisher, the Netflix heroes have utilised violence but have been hesitant in using lethal force (although DD almost killed someone in Season 2). With the exception of Beast Boy and Raven, we see all the Titans burn, shoot, slice and snap the necks of street mooks.

Heroes can use lethal force but the way it's displayed by the Titans in the trailer just feels...off. It's just trying too hard to be mature.

And Netflix Marvel violence is very spread out. There are couple of gory scenes, but most of the series could still fit into PG13. Also, I don't remember a single use of F-bomb in any of the Marvel Netflix series. There might be, but I don't remember it.

That scene with Robin feels straight out of an R-rated Zack Snyder movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    And Netflix Marvel violence is very spread out. There are couple of gory scenes, but most of the series could still fit into PG13. Also, I don't remember a single use of F-bomb in any of the Marvel Netflix series. There might be, but I don't remember it.

That scene with Robin feels straight out of an R-rated Zack Snyder movie.
    This violence doesn't look at all different from the Marvel Netflix shows. I mean those shows featured Mama Mable cutting off a man's finger and Bushmaster gouging out a man's eyes before snapping his neck. Actually, I'd say it's almost tame in comparison to the Marvel Netflix shows. And F bomb aside, the dialogue in this trailer is a lot less colorful than what we get in Marvel Netflix.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This violence doesn't look at all different from the Marvel Netflix shows. I mean those shows featured Mama Mable cutting off a man's finger and Bushmaster gouging out a man's eyes before snapping his neck. Actually, I'd say it's almost tame in comparison to the Marvel Netflix shows. And F bomb aside, the dialogue in this trailer is a lot less colorful than what we get in Marvel Netflix.
    Marvel Netflix didn't give us CG blood. Rolled my eyes at the sight of it.

I didn't think the use of the "F-Bomb" would be such a big deal to people, maybe it's because I casually swear but I can think of bigger f-bombs than that f-bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I didn't think the use of the "F-Bomb" would be such a big deal to people, maybe it's because I casually swear but I can think of bigger f-bombs than that f-bomb.
    It's not a big deal on its own. It's that he says it following killing a bunch of people...

Not to mention the line is just super cringy.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    My thing is the DC Universe streaming service with all the animated series, movies, and comics would be something a parent might want to get for their kids and seeing this trailer could be a deal breaker.

I see this as a service that will appeal to comic fans and kids given the wealth of animation and for their first trailer for original content to be that violent with a F bomb to quote Tony Stark "Not a Great Plan"
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 07-20-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    It's not a big deal on its own. It's that he says it following killing a bunch of people...

Not to mention the line is just super cringy.
    Yep. It's trying so hard to be edgy, it's almost laughable.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    My thing is the DC Universe streaming service with all the animated series, movies, and comics would be something a parent might want to get for their kids and seeing this trailer could be a deal breaker.

I see this as a service that will appeal to comic fans and kids given the wealth of animation and for their first trailer for original content to be that violent with a F bomb to quote Tony Stark "Not a Great Plan"
    Yeah, I'm baffled by that myself. Dick Grayson can express anger at Batman without cursing, so it seems kind of pointless and not worth the trade-off.

iMan 42s

Geoff John's response is like a 13 year old trying to explain how deep his hate blog is.

Regardless of that not being the whole show. The show still is selling itself on darkness, murder, and "**** Batman". The other titans don't even get speaking lines, just gruesome displays of force for the sake of being violent to the tune of an emo kid song "madness, madness, madness". Starfire sets people on fire, Hawk and Dove slice peoples heads open, Robin is a murderer, and Raven is a cringey "demon". Beast boy does nothing but jump and look at things.

You tackle adult themes by showing what the time with Batman did to Dick. Did this affect him going into the Police force? Does this affect how he goes about his workdays? What's he like outside of work? From the trailer he's just fine, comes back, and kills people while disavowing those who put him in power in the first place. That's not adult, that's not even campy, that's as wide as an ocean, as deep as a puddle.

This show is going to be a disaster.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

Lol Linkin Park.

This show looks horrible. "**** Batman!" I laughed. Gotta be all EdgeDark.

**** looks fanmade. Except fans wouldn't do this.

And Raven is not supposed to be some emo kid.

Astonishing Member

"F" Batman was one of the reasons the book - Seduction of the Innocent debatedly attack the Batman/Robin relatiohship. Just saying there is Freudian horror lurking here, folks.

Raven should be clearly noted daughter of Trigon. I want him to make a guest shot.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

IMG_7673.jpg

I don't really understand how you could flip through George Perez and Marv Wolfman's 'The New Teen Titans', and think 'Yeah, grim and edgy totally works...'

Perez and Wolfman did have dark material in the series, like Starfire being enslaved by Blackfire or Raven's origins; but it had a purpose. This just feels like it's trying too hard.

Even the Young Justice based Teen Titans weren't really this over the top bleak...

IMG_7674.jpg

Personally I dislike the costuming, tone, and acting.
    The F-Batman you could justify to me since Dick WAS upset with Bruce during that time and the addition of Jason didn't help matters.
    But I draw the line at Dick Grayson killing people.
    I don't understand why in media, writers either feel like they need to give Dick Grayson Bruce's personality, making him more in line personality-wise with another Robin, or compensate for him being 'Robin' by making him much more violent...
    The only show that I've ever felt got Dick Grayson's personality correct is Young Justice.

I came into this after hearing rumors expecting it to be 'Inhumans' levels of bad, but this has exceeded all my expectations of just how bad it would be.
    DC, please don't touch Doom Patrol after this.
    Last edited by RoamingGnome8; 07-20-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Man, that trailer, the cringe is so powerful.

I don't know, i'm really not in the mood for some "i'm so edgy, so dark, look at me Bat-dad!!" emo teen BS.

God knows i love me some young justice and/or Teen Titans animated stuff once in a while but that? Pass.