Page 26 of 118 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Here's a review that I came across this afternoon. I think that it's worthwhile because this young lady doesn't exactly come off as a "FAN!" review that you'd get in a lot of other places. It's pretty "Level-Headed".

Note: She goes into the entire first episode, and there are spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Also this Dick Grayson thinks his Batman is too violent and a killer (Going by Interviews)? Who is this Batman Paul Kersey mixed with John Kramer/Jigsaw? Because this Robin would make the DCEU Batman be like "Hey calmed down no need to be so violent.".
    It's hilarious that Dick said he left Gotham so he wouldn't become like Batman and then we see Robin brutalizing all those thugs. It even looked like he stabbed a dude in the neck.

I mean, maybe that's the point and he's still getting over Batman's training, but it's a far cry from Robin the Boy Wonder. Like, was he this brutal as Robin as a kid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    And have to say, Jokerz79 is about right on the money. Even Red Hood, for as edgy as he can be, will at least pop off with a smart ass comment. Here? Well, its like Dick became Bruce. No opposite personality kind of thing. At least for ep 1.
    Legitimately that first shot of Dick in his car had me thinking he looked like a young Ben Affleck.

I didn't think Thwaites did a bad job but I missed Dick's roguish charm and swagger. Although it was kind of there.
    BB kind of worked, I guess. For the 2 minutes he was on. His little bit wasn't grim dark at least.
    At the rate the episode was going I half-expected him to maul that guard in tiger form.
    Starfire, well, she's racking up a body count.
    I know Kory's stance on killing in the comics wasn't ironclad, and that caused issues in her relationship with Dick, but I don't know if anybody wants to see Starfire casually snapping a guy's neck or incinerating people.

And what was with rubbing it in Kovar's face that she never loved him? That just seemed unecesarilly cruel to a guy who seemed to be having a very big personal crisis.

Oh, and I guess she killed Red Star's dad. I wonder if that'll lead somwhere.
    The series is duller (less colorful) than the DCEU ever was. A lot of greys and darks. Batflack would be like, "Why so dark, Dick?"
    And even in context "@#$% Batman" was still a dumb line.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And what was with rubbing it in Kovar's face that she never loved him? That just seemed unecesarilly cruel to a guy who seemed to be having a very big personal crisis.
    I suppose that is part of the character's "innocence".

Even with amnesia, Starfire is still an alien with a different culture. Maybe in her culture and education, the right thing to do is be as honest as possible and not feign feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know Kory's stance on killing in the comics wasn't ironclad, and that caused issues in her relationship with Dick, but I don't know if anybody wants to see Starfire casually snapping a guy's neck or incinerating people.
    And then laughing. What was that?
    And even in context "@#$% Batman" was still a dumb line.
    It was even dumber to be honest.

Fantastic Member

Was the first episode as bad as the trailer made it look?

No, it wasn't.

I would rate it as "okay" with the potential to be good. Starfire's hair was really awful though. I hope they dispense with it - SOON.
    Last edited by Marvelman; 10-13-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Fantastic Member

LOVED Starfire's hair! Loved Starfire!
    As an actor, I thought Anna Diop gave a fascinating performance. I loved all the little things she did, even if I don't yet understand them. The main reason to watch the show imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    The Batman Killing thing is yet another reason why DC continues to struggle against Marvel with Live action stuff. The fact that Netflix Daredevil and MCU Captain America are better representations of Batman and Superman than anything that DC does speaks volumes about how little the current creators seem to understand DC's characters. I mean who in the world thought that a dark gritty joyless titans tv show with killer batman was the way to go? Yeah I mean what a perfect way to launch a streaming service, because if anything screens Teen Titans, its excessive violence, f-bombs and turning characters against their core beliefs just to make it "edgy". Not to mention it really hurts the story because with the showing introducing Jason Todd him being Red Hood really has no point or drama around it considering that Batman will be a killer as well. I love DC but man they have got to get some new TV/movie people, we need a ton less Johns, Berlanti, guggenheim stuff because they have had a lot of time to figure things out and can't seem to get away from "edgy" stuff that falls short of expectations and takes a ton away from the story and the fans in the name of being gritty.
    This, time to show Berlanti and Guggenheim the boot. Johns needs to stick to comics, his career in television and film has been a disaster.

Ignoring the killing and the grim dark this was still bad. Starfire was actually acted better than the others but the character is a trainwreck. Raven's acting was awful, the Robin actor was mediocre and Beast Boy's CGI was terrible.
    This goes beyond some hamfisted attempt to be edgy, this was just awful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    And then laughing. What was that?

It was even dumber to be honest.
    Agreed, that whole scene was just them trying to find an excuse to name drop Batman. Its been Berlanti's obsession since Arrow.

Incredible Member

I'm completely mesmerized by this show. Definitely going to continue watching this as I find it completely compelling.

Starfire was easily the worst part of the first episode.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    Was the first episode as bad as the trailer made it look?

No, it wasn't.

I would rate it was "okay" with the potential to be good. Starfire's hair was really awful though. I hope they dispense with it - SOON.
    This sums up my feelings about the show pretty well

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Starfire was easily the worst part of the first episode.
    I thought the Starfire scenes had the best acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Anna Diop is good, but I really don't care for how they're handling Kory.

Acting? Yes. Characterization? Not so much.

Unfortunately, good acting rarely compensates for bad characterization.