Page 33 of 118 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Doom Patrol had Geoff Johns on scripting duties, and while you can easily tell its him, he *does* bring a deft hand towards establishing the entire Doom Patrol team.

I mean, yeah, it is a little heavy handed to exagerrate Rita's shapeshifting issues to full-on "body horror" levels and then introduce her by panning across memorabilia and movies featuring her before settling on the blob-like form she has to reform herself from, or to have Cliff sit down to a dinner he can't eat to try and taste the food vicariously through their guest... But it works to establish the characters very well. And yeah, the swiftness with which Johns had Raven and Beast Boy become friends is another thing that's totally him, but it works!

(Yeah, I did another reaction video set, but this time, I'll just leave a much less obnoxious link: https://youtu.be/4DSXC-dglsY. Oh, and my buddy and I did a longer podcast about the first two episodes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=422542407)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Every time the Doom Patrol was on screen I loved it. I find that Titans is more enjoyable when there are guest stars, or at least I find their characterizations and performances to be more enjoyable. Watching Dick assault a guy in front of his kid felt like a reverse of Old Wounds when Dick quit being Robin when Bruce did this. (and lied about Babs)

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I really liked this episode. Yeah, it was like a Doom Patrol pilot whatsoever, but their presentation was really enjoyable. Gar finally having screen-time and his relationship with Raven is good so far. Now that we have them all together and they'll start training maybe the real costumes are gonna appear.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I wanted more of the Doom Patrol.

Doom Patrol here was fun. Johns making them more a "house of freaks" rather than a full-on team of any kind probably worked better considering the time constraint and needing to give us a backstory for Gar and getting the Titans all together. I was disappointed to not see the Negative Being here, but I can accept that since this is just a tease for their own show. (I also hope Larry's bandages end up less bulky) Considering the budget, it was somewhat creative to show Rita/Blob in the bed watching her own movies and Larry cooking in the kitchen as intros rather than showing them actually using their powers. They also had a good chemistry. Was the girl in the lab supposed to be Element Woman or just some rando?

Fantastic Member

Okay, regarding Doom Patrol...

I have been hard on this series but I liked this episode. It was good! I give it 7/10.

Um, that cake looked real. I hope they didn't let it go to waste.

Marvelman out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    Okay, regarding Doom Patrol...

I have been hard on this series but I liked this episode. It was good! I give it 7/10.

Um, that cake looked real. I hope they didn't let it go to waste.

Marvelman out.
    The cake was most definitely made from non eatable items it takes hours even a day to film a scene and under hot lights.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I wanted more of the Doom Patrol.
    Same here.

In just one episode, the writers established the Doom Patrol as a group of tragic outsiders that have heart.

It’s almost the polar opposite of the Titans themselves (with the exception of Raven).

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Same here.

In just one episode, the writers established the Doom Patrol as a group of tragic outsiders that have heart.

It’s almost the polar opposite of the Titans themselves (with the exception of Raven).
    The way Beast Boy left the Patrol felt forced to me. The "go live your life" reason didn't resonate with me as Beast Boy wasn't shown to dislike how he lived with them. It would have been better if the chief had kicked him out for disobeying him and his actions leading him to get his back broken.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Same here.

Of course the Doom Patrol has heart. They've been together for years.

This is the first time the Titans are all actually in the same place. I'd argue that we need to give the Titan's time to become a team. It can't be rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The way Beast Boy left the Patrol felt forced to me. The "go live your life" reason didn't resonate with me as Beast Boy wasn't shown to dislike how he lived with them. It would have been better if the chief had kicked him out for disobeying him and his actions leading him to get his back broken.
    Yeah that was my one grip with the episode it never gave the feel Beast Boy was unhappy living at the Doom Patrol estate so why leave with people he barely knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yeah that was my one grip with the episode it never gave the feel Beast Boy was unhappy living at the Doom Patrol estate so why leave with people he barely knew.
    It was because they wanted Gar to live a more normal life without being confined to the mansion. Still young and a full life ahead of him. That whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    It was because they wanted Gar to live a more normal life without being confined to the mansion. Still young and a full life ahead of him. That whole thing.
    I get that but it felt like an Amish family sending their son off with the first people who car broke down on the side of the road. If it had been a two part story with another episode with more bonding of Beast Boy and the Titans and the Doom Patrol getting to know them I would had bought it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Only that Beast Boy isn't confined to the mansion. There's no issues with him leaving the mansion and going to the town.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Because. HOT GIRL.