Page 88 of 118 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1758

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I am amazed at how badly this show is portraying Batman/Bruce. They just aren't kind to him at all in this show.
    yeah...how does Scarecrow have access to a lazarus pit?
    Overall I am liking the show, but it's moving quite slow this season, or at least it appears to be with so many characters needing focus. I hate the way they did it, but taking Hawk & Dove off the table was a good choice, that still leaves 10 plus characters (counting Donna who's story we know isn't over yet.)
    I do find it funny how the go-to method of getting both Batman AND the Joker off of any show involving the Bat family is that the Joker finally pushed Batman too far, Batman kills the Joker, then exiles himself as he broke his one rule. It's the exact same story on Batwoman, and I think it was the same story in Birds of Prey back in the day.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Latest episode:

1. How does Scarecrow have a Lazarus pit and where was it?
    2. Taking over Gotham again? All these BGs want to take over a city? Never do they contemplate the 82th Airborne arriving when insurrection is declared. Yeah, they come up with some hokum that the Feds abandon a city to crooks. That gets so old.
    The Lazarus Pit was in a hidden basement in Arkham. Crane told Jason that Ra's left it behind and Bruce never found it.

As badly written as this show is I'm enjoying this version of Scarecrow. Get that villain cred

The only good thing I took away from this episode was The Scarecrow. He is wonderful to watch.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Astonishing Member

Arkham has pretty crappy security - but what else is new. It's BnB for supervillians. I did get a kick out of a regular guy pulling a quick Glock on posturing Jason and then whacking him silly. It's a subtle hint that the nonsuper heroes would be gone fairly quickly with competent gun users.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

How did Crane find that basement? What does he even manage to get there when he's being held in a protected wing of Arkham? I would think communication would be restricted or heavily monitored so how he managed the outside goon? So many questions

Mighty Member

There was a lot to like this week. Some stupid too, but an improvement overall. Largely predictable on the whole, with little we hadn't seen coming based on the previous episodes. Curran Walters channels Jason's fear, pride, and ultimately his feelings of being betrayed quite well.

Unless the Lazarus Pit ends up playing a role in Donna's story I think it was a poor choice to keep it here. It doesn't serve Jason's narrative in any meaningful way it simply checked a box from the comic book origin file. Unnecessary and sloppy writing, though ultimately more time efficient than setting up something else.

I found it interesting that they have Jason end up being brainwashed, which they think gives them an out to redeem him later, even after he actively chose to betray Bruce to Scarecrow. Sorry writers, but Jason's iredeemable villainy was assured long before you had him executing people, when he stood at that cell and CHOSE to sell his soul. Though this will make him putting a round in Crane's noggin more satisfying later.

Molly could be interesting. A last tie to Jason's humanity, all but destroyed by Crane's new gas. Will Jason kill her in the end? Will she be a key to talking him down?

More curious than ever what Tim's role could possibly be. A Lonely Place of Dying doesn't work in this context. And Jason's deliberate descent into treason virtually ensures that he won't be talked away from the ledge like I expected previously. Probably something inspirational for Dick that motivates him or reveals some truth to him about Red Hood he hadn't seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Arkham has pretty crappy security - but what else is new. It's BnB for supervillians. I did get a kick out of a regular guy pulling a quick Glock on posturing Jason and then whacking him silly. It's a subtle hint that the nonsuper heroes would be gone fairly quickly with competent gun users.
    No, it's showing how messed up Jason was. He could have taken that guy in a heartbeat under normal circumstances, but his fear froze him. Bruce was 100% right to bench him.

That said, while I'm not at all a fan of this take on Batman, I thoroughly enjoy it's take on Bruce. He genuinely wants to be a good father to these boys and do right by them. But even when he is able to identify the right course (like benching Jason or trying to get him to give up being Robin) he is so completely incapable of expressing his deep, sincere emotions that he flubs it hard.

Say what you want about Iain Glenn's casting or his look in the role, the man absolutely sells the repressed, incompetent sentimentality of it. He WANTS to protect Jason and love him, and the tragedy is that as good as he is at everything else he fundamentally lacks the tools for this job. He doesn't have the language, the vocabulary. The tragedy of that scene in the street, when Bruce is basically firing Jason from Robin because Bruce doesn't know how to convey his fear and his love for the boy in a way that will get through to him. It's one of the most powerful and beautiful sequences this show has mamaged to produce. And both Glenn and Walters absolutely KILLED it.

As terrible as the writing is in terms of presenting organic drama and plot, I liked the dialogue scenes between Jason/Bruce and Jason/Leslie. (and it was the one time Bruce wasn't actually being a dick, when he fired Jason saying, "You don't have to be Robin to be my son.") Nothing else really made sense or felt at all believable.(or, it's as believable as a kid's cartoon I guess)

I'm glad we got the explanation for Jason's resurrection - not surprising, and made little sense, but now we can move on.

I guess we just have to take for granted Jason can just walk in to talk to Crane, then Crane gets all the alone basement time as he wants? Whatever... Jason's supposed to be dead - where did he get all the gear and his helmet etc? And again, Jason trained with Batman - how is he so proficient with guns? I said before that it seems Jason's motivations change every episode and this is no different. Between Crane's "we will punish this city" manifesto and Jason's scene with his friend, his anger at Bruce and jealousy with Dick... killing innocent people, etc... it's all a mishmash of angry teen BS. At least focus on one motivation. The actor is doing a fine job with what he's given, but this show is just a string of "cool, badass" scenes (I love me some Faith No More, but Jason's a teenager - they couldn't have found a band from this century?) flimsily strung together.

Oh, and we still have to deal with Starfire, Donna and Tim's stories.... and the rest of the team. What are the odds they'll actually get the time they deserve? (man, I can't wait for Doom Patrol to come back...)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-26-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    As terrible as the writing is in terms of presenting organic drama and plot, I liked the dialogue scenes between Jason/Bruce and Jason/Leslie. (and it was the one time Bruce wasn't actually being a dick, when he fired Jason saying, "You don't have to be Robin to be my son.") Nothing else really made sense or felt at all believable.(or, it's as believable as a kid's cartoon I guess)

I'm glad we got the explanation for Jason's resurrection - not surprising, and made little sense, but now we can move on.

I guess we just have to take for granted Jason can just walk in to talk to Crane, then Crane gets all the alone basement time as he wants? Whatever... Jason's supposed to be dead - where did he get all the gear and his helmet etc? And again, Jason trained with Batman - how is he so proficient with guns? I said before that it seems Jason's motivations change every episode and this is no different. Between Crane's "we will punish this city" manifesto and Jason's scene with his friend, his anger at Bruce and jealousy with Dick... killing innocent people, etc... it's all a mishmash of angry teen BS. At least focus on one motivation. The actor is doing a fine job with what he's given, but this show is just a string of "cool, badass" scenes (I love me some Faith No More, but Jason's a teenager - they couldn't have found a band from this century?) flimsily strung together.

Oh, and we still have to deal with Starfire, Donna and Tim's stories.... and the rest of the team. What are the odds they'll actually get the time they deserve? (man, I can't wait for Doom Patrol to come back...)
    Genuinely curious, why are you watching the show if you clearly don't like it that much?

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I do find it funny how the go-to method of getting both Batman AND the Joker off of any show involving the Bat family is that the Joker finally pushed Batman too far, Batman kills the Joker, then exiles himself as he broke his one rule. It's the exact same story on Batwoman, and I think it was the same story in Birds of Prey back in the day.
    They didn't say Bruce killed the Joker in Birds of Prey. They just say he left after a while.

Going by the way this "Universe..." feels?

How has it's Superman not just turned up, and reduced Gotham to ash by now?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Going by the way this "Universe..." feels?

How has it's Superman not just turned up, and reduced Gotham to ash by now?
    What are you basing this notion on?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I guess he assumes because of the rest of the heroes we've seen so far being major jackasses, Superman should logically one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Just the number of bodies that have dropped so far this season?

(Never mind the really obvious issue...)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just the number of bodies that have dropped so far this season?

(Never mind the really obvious issue...)
    Most of the killing on this show has been done by the villains with the heroes at worst only using it in self defense.

Assuming that Superman would go around burning down cities just because a lot of killing happens in this show (which is no higher than any other live action superhero show) is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    I guess he assumes because of the rest of the heroes we've seen so far being major jackasses, Superman should logically one too.
    Not even so much what is in blue...

Just tough to see a Superman that Bruce seemingly recently had to touch base with not turning up to hand out some stern spankings like they were Halloween candy.