Page 93 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1758

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Doesn't he use a bunch of trick arrows with lethal potential?
    I think the idea with Trick Arrows is they're not lethal.
    While you have a point, Batman isn't trying to replace a gun. He's trying to take in people non-violently, and he's using a fictional weapon which can do that. Green Arrow is using a real, obsolete weapon to shoot projectiles, while Batman can rapidly throw batarangs.
    Well, Batarangs aren't completely fictional since they're based around shuriken/boomerangs so there's some grounding in real world weaponry, just as with a bow and arrow which I don't think is that obsolete otherwise no one would still be doing archery.

Green Arrow can rapidly shoot arrows.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the idea with Trick Arrows is they're not lethal.
    Ok. I might've confused his arrows with Hawkeye's

Well, Batarangs aren't completely fictional since they're based around shuriken/boomerangs so there's some grounding in real world weaponry, just as with a bow and arrow which I don't think is that obsolete otherwise no one would still be doing archery.
    They're not completely fictional, but not as real as a bow. But Batman usually isn't trying to kill. And I don't think anyone does archery in actual combat anymore.

Green Arrow can rapidly shoot arrows.
    Yeah, but as fast as a gun? Even Batman can rapidly throw his batarangs because he doesn't need to draw his string back.

They're not completely fictional, but not as real as a bow. But Batman usually isn't trying to kill. And I don't think anyone does archery in actual combat anymore.
    There might be, though? Green Arrow generally doesn't kill either.
    Yeah, but as fast as a gun? Even Batman can rapidly throw his batarangs because he doesn't need to draw his string back.
    He has to do a throwing motion, though.

Ultimate Member

There might be, though? Green Arrow generally doesn't kill either.
    Ok

He has to do a throwing motion, though.
    Yeah, but I assume that's faster with enough training. The thing is, throwing can still be useful in situations, considering Batman's situation. But at what point is using a bow an advantage over a gun or similar weapon?

Yeah, but I assume that's faster with enough training. The thing is, throwing can still be useful in situations, considering Batman's situation. But at what point is using a bow an advantage over a gun or similar weapon?
    Well, in terms of comic book archers an arrow can shoot through bullets and stop a gun.

You know, for all the comments superheroes films and television has gotten, "why does he use a bow NOW?" only now coming up, when Hawkeye had been a mainstay in the MCU for years, I never heard that pop up then.

Ultimate Member

Well, in terms of comic book archers an arrow can shoot through bullets and stop a gun.
    Wait, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    You know, for all the comments superheroes films and television has gotten, "why does he use a bow NOW?" only now coming up, when Hawkeye had been a mainstay in the MCU for years, I never heard that pop up then.
    I've felt that way since I first heard of Green Arrow and Hawkeye. And I remember plenty of people disliking Hawkeye since he joined the MCU

Astonishing Member

Just finished the new episode. I can't help but feel Conner is being utilized incorrectly or underused. So far this season all they have used him for is his "half Lex" brilliance. And its literally for the same thing as the Hawk bomb episode. I mean come on.

There is a lot of that running in place character development here that feels slow. I get they dont fully explore the powersets of the super characters I think clearly for budget constraints...but it makes them all too similar. Gar is some type of martial arts guy adept with swordplay now? That scene was weird. I get I dont have to actually see training sequences but...

It's been said before but will be a standard complaint the lack of costumes. spoilers:
    Why isn't Crane in a Scarecrow costume now? He is out of Arkham making evil fear gas or whatever. It would have added a whole another level for his scenes to be in costume now. When he had Jason in the Operating room "teaching him he is expendable" Imagine the creep factor dialed up another level if he had an awesome creepy costume going there.
    end of spoilers Wasted opportunity for me

As for the "good" of the episode. I enjoyed the fleshing out of Barbara/Dick relationship in the flashbacks. spoilers:
    And her fight scene in the chair was well choreographed at least.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Ah, the good ol' won't shoot the bad guy when she should - police officer. How old. Given your partner has been killed, you have someone with a knife - take the shot.

Of course, in all shows, the government, military and police are Red Shirts. Just there to die.

spoilers:
    Why would they make Barbara Gordon, of all people, a jewel thief?

If they couldn't show her as Batgirl there had to be a better solution. Like show her as a police trainee or something.
    end of spoilers

**SPOILERS FOR TODAY's EP 6****
    -- Did they really have to do a half-baked thief background for Babs just to give Robin his own Catwoman? The he decides to join her because .... why? Now she's also Elektra, leading Matt astray I guess except that we know she's not really a criminal and there's no real exploration of Dick deciding to be a criminal for awhile.

-- I like the actress playing Blackfire. We need to see her and Cory have a real conversation soon. The petty bickering is wearing thin. It seemed they had reached some kind of understanding in the prison and I get that siblings backslide all the time, but considering this is a the "B" story, they're not going to have much more time to develop this relationship. (and we still have Raven and Donna coming up) Also, I don't buy their explanation for why Blackfire would know how to investigate this crime. They spent the first half of the ep showing that she was spoiled and entitled. It was a pretty severe pivot for me.

-- Dick and Barbara continue to have good chemistry (better than Dick has had with any Titan, imo) and I like the peek into their history. I just wish they didn't do the cat burglar thing.

-- Jason and Crane were just getting interesting as a team, but they're already on the outs? That's too bad. I would have liked seeing them work together more and explore their F'ed up dynamic.

-- In terms of the masks, it makes sense to me. In comics, artists weren't the necessarily the best at drawing expressions, so the mask is more dramatic and helps to illicit the emotion you would need from a character. But when you have actors, the masks usually get in the way of that communication. And in this case, I like what Cartheiser's been doing as Crane so I'd want to see his face. (although seeing the mask at least once would be nice)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-02-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    **SPOILERS FOR TODAY's EP 6****
    -- Did they really have to do a half-baked thief background for Babs just to give Robin his own Catwoman? The he decides to join her because .... why? Now she's also Elektra, leading Matt astray I guess except that we know she's not really a criminal and there's no real exploration of Dick deciding to be a criminal for awhile.

-- Dick and Barbara continue to have good chemistry (better than Dick has had with any Titan, imo) and I like the peek into their history. I just wish they didn't do the cat burglar thing.
    I just don't get what it is with this show and making their heroes criminals or former criminals or sometimes criminals or whatever. And Barbara Gordon? Seriously!?

I mean, Dick's had 2-3 Catwomans so I don't get the need to make Babs a criminal. It just doesn't fit the character at all and just made her and Dick look bad.

Mighty Member

I just don't get what it is with this show and making their heroes criminals or former criminals or sometimes criminals or whatever. And Barbara Gordon? Seriously!?

I mean, Dick's had 2-3 Catwomans so I don't get the need to make Babs a criminal. It just doesn't fit the character at all and just made her and Dick look bad.
    Titans has been consistent enough with this now that it's clearly a theme of the show. The "heroes" are the real villains. Every time they have a chance, they go back to this well and with every single character they use. The writers of this show clearly and demonstrably believe that the greatest supervillains are the ones who call themselves heroes. It's a cynical, nihilistic worldview and it's honestly quite sad to see it embraced so readily, and even greedily, by a show that is ostensibly about some of the DCU's most interesting heroes.

I've said it before, but it's really depressing when you have a show where the "heroes" defeat Deathstroke and Trigon, but literally everything the show presents you is that the pair are absolutely correct in every respect. True, Deathstroke was doing it for the wrong reasons, but removing these heroes from the world is an objective good, as presented. And Trigon was a demon conqueror, but everyone really is a homicidal, evil spirit at heart with no meaningful good to speak of. Hell, even killing off Hawk this season is emblematic. He was the one who had decided he wanted to get out of the vigilante life, and was only back to keep an eye on Dawn. So of course he's the one who gets violently murdered, by an old ally no less.

There are things I enjoy about this show. It's cast being the big one. But I'm increasingly realizing that it's not just that the writing is bad, it's that the worldview is deliberately skewed in a way that the writing CAN'T be good. They can't make these characters meaningfully heroic or good without undermining their core premise. It's just such a huge misstep.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 09-02-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Titans has been consistent enough with this now that it's clearly a theme of the show. The "heroes" are the real villains. Every time they have a chance, they go back to this well and with every single character they use. The writers of this show clearly and demonstrably believe that the greatest supervillains are the ones who call themselves heroes. It's a cynical, nihilistic worldview and it's honestly quite sad to see it embraced so readily, and even greedily, by a show that is ostensibly about some of the DCU's most interesting heroes.

I've said it before, but it's really depressing when you have a show where the "heroes" defeat Deathstroke and Trigon, but literally everything the show presents you is that the pair are absolutely correct in every respect. True, Deathstroke was doing it for the wrong reasons, but removing these heroes from the world is an objective good, as presented. And Trigon was a demon conqueror, but everyone really is a homicidal, evil spirit at heart with no meaningful good to speak of. Hell, even killing off Hawk this season is emblematic. He was the one who had decided he wanted to get out of the vigilante life, and was only back to keep an eye on Dawn. So of course he's the one who gets violently murdered, by an old ally no less.

There are things I enjoy about this show. It's cast being the big one. But I'm increasingly realizing that it's not just that the writing is bad, it's that the worldview is deliberately skewed in a way that the writing CAN'T be good. They can't make these characters meaningfully heroic or good without undermining their core premise. It's just such a huge misstep.
    Interesting analysis. I think that gets to the heart of the problem here. None of these guys have fundamentally good outlooks on life, even though quite a few have relatively stable backstories

I do think it's a consistent issue with this show when they constantly show how flawed the heroes are on a personal and professional level to the extent that they just casually break laws and then just don't seem to care that much about it only to then ask the audience to take them seriously as Superheroes when they actually do something heroic once in a blue moon.

I mean, when you have Dick Grayson participating in a genuine jewelry heist that Barbara Gordon ropes him into and seems like he's against putting the stuff back when she mentions it...how can we view these people credibly as heroes? They're supposed to be about fighting crime and stopping bad guys, but that makes it okay for them to commit any crimes they want? Even beyond the typical vigilante stuff?

And then they make Jason Todd probably the most villainous version of Red Hood ever. Even Morrison's Red Hood had better morals.