All-New Member

Default Marvel Women - Help for my A levels

Hey all

I'm doing my extended project qualification on how the movie and television adaptations of Marvel women differ to the comics and I have hit a bit of a brick wall when coming to find the most recent comics with these women in.

Natasha Romanova - Black Widow
    Elektra
    Gamora
    Jessica Jones
    Peggy Carter

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Niffleheim

recent comics with these women in the links below

Black Widow
    Elektra
    Gamora
    Jessica Jones
    Peggy Carter
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-26-2017 at 05:11 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I would not suggest looking at the most recent Black Widow Comic as far as representation of the character goes.
    Aside from me not liking it much, there were some liberties taken in that regard.

I think "The Name of the Rose" is a good book to go by and it isn't really old yet either or at least it feels very modern.

As for team books: She was heavily featured in Avengers Assemble and Secret Avengers.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 04-26-2017 at 07:17 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

All-New Member

Thank you so much for the help ��

All-New Member

Thanks for giving me a heads up about the recent Black Widow book

You are welcome
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    Jessica Jones
    Jessica seems much messier in the comics IMHO... and she interacts with the Marvel Universe so much more, which is absolutely awesome. Like, Carol Danvers being her best friend, investigating Steve Rogers and stuff like that. Also, she's much more of a P.I. in the comics. Her tv show was more about her facing Kilgrave.

She was important in:
    - Alias.
    - The Pulse.

She guest-appeared in some issues of:
    - New Avengers (she got married with Cage in the first Annual)
    - Young Avengers (i didn't read that)

And now:
    - Jessica Jones (a fantastic 2017 ongoing series written by Bendis and drawn by Gaydos. Totally great).
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

All-New Member

Thank you for your help.

I love Jessica for the reason that she covers so much of the Universe.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I would not suggest looking at the most recent Black Widow Comic as far as representation of the character goes.
    Aside from me not liking it much, there were some liberties taken in that regard.
    Isn't that precisely the point? The question is exactly how do they differ.

Elektra has had a bunch of solo series. The bulk of character portrayals are not recent. I could probably write paragraphs about how there are differing versions both in the comics and outside the comics. Since I'm a big Daredevil fan, forgive me for going down the rabbit hole briefly:

Elektra was introduced in Daredevil in a story from 168-182. Here, she is stoic and a bit cruel with a soft spot for Matt and a willingness to kill. Flashbacks show she was once a much kinder person but the death of her father caused her to forsake belief in the law and the world in general. She began to feel she could only depend on herself and nothing else mattered.

Elektra: Assassin is the next portrayal. Chronologically, it's a bit unclear. I think the best place to put it is between her father's death and her return to Matt, although there's a very plausible argument it should just be outside continuity. She's a bit crazier, particularly in the first issue, and talking about demons in her head (there are also hints that she was sexually abused by her father). That being said, she returns to a stoic killer later and the initial craziness could have been due to trauma under the circumstances. It also could have been a product of Frank Miller's narration style and Bill Sienkiewicz art that's crazy.

I've never read Elektra Lives Again. I believe it's technically out of continuity.

The Man Without Fear is Frank Miller's last writing about Elektra. It's an out of continuity story originally intended to be a movie script, but many elements of the story have been incorporated into the main 616 continuity. This Elektra is the closest to the Netflix Elektra, although her backstory is still pronouncedly different. Here, she is shown to be psychotic and sociopathic from before the time her father was killed. She's a thrill seeker with a bloodlust and talks about how the demons in her head drive her to kill.

After that, her Daredevil appearances are generally not relevant. She's a stoic person not afraid to kill and that's about it.

She's had at least two more solo series, including a current ongoing. I can't comment on any of the previous ones. The current one is fun but I don't get the impression it's going to give you a lot of insight into her character. I sort of get the same idea - she's a stoic assassin who looks out for herself but will occasionally be pulled into helping others.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?