View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars!

15 39.47%
  • 4 Stars.

13 34.21%
  • 3 Stars.

5 13.16%
  • 2 Stars.

3 7.89%
  • 1 Star...

2 5.26%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #21 - Discussion & Spoilers

Well, things certainly are wrapping up pretty quickly now...

As we saw in the preview, Wonder Woman makes quick work of Colonel Maru, and tracks Veronica Cale's helicopter to an island on the Black Sea (where Cale is attempting to find Themyscira with Cheetah's help). Meanwhile, the amazons prepare to attack the tree. Deimos and Phobos (in their dog forms, of course) start howling while Cheetah immediately attacks Diana and Veronica holds a gun to Steve's head. The tree appears out of nowhere and a drop of Diana's blood opens a portal. Deimos and Phobos immediately run inside, and faceless Izzy follows behind. Cale and Diana also head for the portal, leaving Steve and Cheetah outside (cute scene). Inside the tree, Diana thinks they're dead, but they hear singing and come across the real Izzy. Veronica immediately embraces her while a very attractive, naked man in chains sits close by. He greets Diana and reveals that he's Ares, and they're in his prison.

Veronica's story is coming to a close which is nice. I think with Izzy back she should take a rest from crime.

I'm interested to know what exactly the Amazons are doing... did they go through the portal when it was on Themyscira? I'm thinking the story will end with Diana reuniting with them after so many years of being apart.

I'm also really happy Ares is back to being a sexy dude again. We have to sit through dozens of Poison Ivys and Mystiques and Enchantresses, why can't we get some hot villainous dudes too? I just wish he was blond like in Rucka's original run, but that's just personal preference.

What did everyone else think?

MAN! This was GREAT! I can't wait to see how it wraps up! And Ares was SO HOT.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

BANNED

I dont know if it's just me, but while the issue is perfectly functional... I kinda feel like it's just very predictable at the same time.

It's unlikely we will see Maru again I reckon, so she is what she is atm. Cale appears to be getting what she wants... and I am almost certain Izzy is not going to last the series. Cheetah having a complete relapse also feels kinda predictable, and I recall mentioning her being human wasn't going to last, but it does seem to have gone to the level of her time as being human had no effect on her.
    And Ares... I am going to be the first, at time of writing, who does not want Ares to be a beach-stud. I get why Perez drew him as the brother of Lord Sauron, he was the ultimate evil of Diana's world and he had to look the part. Likewise I get why Azzarello wanted him to look like a tired old man, that was simply symbolic of how War felt... old and tired. Him being hansome however may resemble classical myth Ares... along with Xena, Wrath of the Titans, and all the others who makes the bad guy sexy... I just dont see the point of it here. I mean, if all it's for is to be eye candy... why not make Steve that sexy instead?

Always Rakzo

Oh boy, I honestly feel ripped off here. This was a clear transition issue, meaning that it mostly serves as a set-up for more important plot-points coming but still the lack of content really bothered me, not to mention that the things that actually happened were not that interesting. Add Cheetah's unimpressive portrayal and you simply get an unsatisfying issue.

Sharp's work is also getting weaker with more off-looking characters and awkward storytelling. Just waiting for this to end already.

I was certainly not expecting that bunch of things happening at once! Of all this issue made me feel, curious to see how Godwatch will be handled from now is the most proeminent. As Rucka said, the storylines will meet at the end, and Diana is helping Cale here while she haven't met her in Godwatch yet. And from Bilquis's wips on twitter/instagram, she's also drawing Diana on the island that leads to Themyscira. Intriguing. I think they will tell the same stories from different perspectives, maybe focusing on the Cale-Izzy meeting there? We shall see.

As for this issue: wow, Ares what is not what I expected AT ALL. And he seems like a nice person! Am I deceived by his looks? Probably yes lol.

I'm curious to see how Diana will react to him. They'll probably have a nice talk and Rucka knows how to write his dialogue. I wonder if she'll free him not (just) because of Izzy, but because she has mercy for Ares.

I liked it a lot. The art was a little inconsistent, but things are finally happening and I can't wait for more.

Duplicate post, so let me use it to show the Bilquis's wips I mentioned:

Steve and Diana next to the tree.

Cale's helicopter.

Cale.

Weird stuff
    Last edited by Joao; 04-26-2017 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    And Ares... I am going to be the first, at time of writing, who does not want Ares to be a beach-stud. I get why Perez drew him as the brother of Lord Sauron, he was the ultimate evil of Diana's world and he had to look the part. Likewise I get why Azzarello wanted him to look like a tired old man, that was simply symbolic of how War felt... old and tired. Him being hansome however may resemble classical myth Ares... along with Xena, Wrath of the Titans, and all the others who makes the bad guy sexy... I just dont see the point of it here. I mean, if all it's for is to be eye candy... why not make Steve that sexy instead?
    I agree that the issue did feel predictable, but in a good way for me.

As for Ares... let's be real here. If he was a female villain they would've *never* made him an unattractive elderly character. I don't think it's just for eye candy; Ares under Rucka's pen has always been devious and manipulative. He probably uses his appearance to help with that.

And are you saying Steve ISN'T sexy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Add Cheetah's unimpressive portrayal and you simply get an unsatisfying issue.
    Cheetah's a strange case for me in this issue. She did this to herself in order to SAVE her friends, and now she's lashing out against them? The curse must be doing something to her brain (which I hope is one day resolved and she gains more control over it).

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    As for this issue: wow, Ares what is not what I expected AT ALL. And he seems like a nice person! Am I deceived by his looks? Probably yes lol.
    Rucka does love to write a very deceptive Ares (my personal favorite version of the character).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    As for Ares... let's be real here. If he was a female villain they would've *never* made him an unattractive elderly character. I don't think it's just for eye candy; Ares under Rucka's pen has always been devious and manipulative. He probably uses his appearance to help with that.

And are you saying Steve ISN'T sexy?
    They do when they feature Hecate? And Nyx. But you are right they probably wouldn't... they would settle with what consider 'average', like Cale and Chiang's Hera aren't ugly people, but they aren't attracting men like flies with their looks either. And if its for the manipulation... ehh, I really do not want the God of War to be Tom Hiddleston's Loki, while I know deception has long been part of Ares' character in DC.

To be honest, I wouldn't really know since dudes are not my cup of tea I just assumed he must not be if Ares needed to fill that spot.

To be honest, I wouldn't really know since dudes are not my cup of tea I just assumed he must not be if Ares needed to fill that spot.
    There can be more than one hot guy in Wonder Woman!

They do when they feature Hecate? And Nyx. But you are right they probably wouldn't... they would settle with what consider 'average', like Cale and Chiang's Hera aren't ugly people, but they aren't attracting men like flies with their looks either. And if its for the manipulation... ehh, I really do not want the God of War to be Tom Hiddleston's Loki, while I know deception has long been part of Ares' character in DC.

Steve is the wholesome nice guy you bring home to your parents.

Ares is the bad boy you date secretly without your parents knowing.

They are completely different types of sexy men.

And since you brought them up, Hecate's most recent appearance had her as a sexy snake woman. Nyx only appeared in maybe one panel in the entirety of her comic career. But yeah, she was spectacularly haggy.

Always Rakzo

Something tells me that if there was an unattractive female villain there would be people complaining that "they're saying we should hate ugly women!".

Also, the first female villain from Finch's run was unattractive (then again, it was Finch's run...).

BANNED

I have absolutely no problem with this.

Not sure why anyone would...particularly since gods can incarnate in multiple ways, tailored to the individual....

BANNED

And secretly they are brothers!

True... but I dont think Diana will start looking sideways at Ares.

And since you brought them up, Hecate's most recent appearance had her as a sexy snake woman. Nyx only appeared in maybe one panel in the entirety of her comic career. But yeah, she was spectacularly haggy.
    Ehh, I had forgotten about that... but she did have spikes growing out of her head. I was thinking of how she used to be depicted as the Hag Goddess.

BANNED

Ah! Got it. The snake inside of Diana from her sanitarium stay was Ares!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Predictable, but not at all in a bad way. I like where this is heading.

Col. Maru is kind of a dud, so I hope a future writer channels the Luke/Jimenez version somewhere down the line. It's not a big deal, just a disappointment.

Cheetah's characterization is a bit jarring, but Diana's speculation that a part of Barbara wanting to be Cheetah again with none of the drawbacks is certainly looking more credible. Having that insatiable blood lust is obviously going to play havoc with her sanity, and her irrational mind latching onto Diana as the object of her hatred makes sense in a way. She became the Cheetah again for her friends (including Diana), and look where it got her. Not to mention Diana brought the God stuff into her life which lead to her becoming Cheetah the first time around. Plus, it seems there does seem to be some Priscilla Rich-style split identity going on. She denies being Barbara a lot.

The presence of Ares along with Izzy's singing, and her not seeming to mind too much being there, made me wonder if Ares is grooming Izzy to become this version's incarnation of the Silver Swan, though I think that's a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with this.

Not sure why anyone would...particularly since gods can incarnate in multiple ways, tailored to the individual....
    Agreed. All the Olympians save Hephaestus are meant to be so sexy that it hurts. Ares being a "sexy bad boy" is being faithful to the myths. Aphrodite banged him for a reason (well, she banged everybody but her husband, but she seemed particularly fond of Ares). He can still be a Satanic dark overlord as well as being a devilish, seductive figure. Lucifer was the most beautiful Angel is Heaven before he was cast out, after all. I can more readily see Aphrodite hop into bed with this guy than I can Azzares.