Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I'd be surprised if Tom King doesn't end up writing Legion, since he's been the one setting it up in Batman. Same reason I expect Joshua Williamson to write Justice Society, since he's been setting it up in Flash and JL vs SS.
    I can see some logic in this but then again the only books that have had any button Watchman stuff in it have been Batman/Flash/Superman/Action and I doubt those writers will be handling everything that spins out of it, they just are driving the cab whose route is at this particular location. IOW if Willamson was writing Batwoman, I don't think we would be seeing the JSA easter eggs there. Whomever had to honor of writing the titles selected as precursors to the Watchmen Wars gets to play with the Easter eggs.

One thing about more and more "big name writers" doing more and more series for DC or Marvel: "big name writers" cost big $'s after a while, which probably results in higher comic book prices.
    Also, if "big name writers" are also working on other projects outside of DC or Marvel at the same time, there's no guarantee they'll stay on the DC or Marvel series which they don't own for a significant amount of time, nor is there any guarantee they'll be able to put out a truly quality story while still meeting monthly (let alone twice-monthly) deadlines.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I can see some logic in this but then again the only books that have had any button Watchman stuff in it have been Batman/Flash/Superman/Action and I doubt those writers will be handling everything that spins out of it, they just are driving the cab whose route is at this particular location. IOW if Willamson was writing Batwoman, I don't think we would be seeing the JSA easter eggs there. Whomever had to honor of writing the titles selected as precursors to the Watchmen Wars gets to play with the Easter eggs.
    It definitely makes sense to have Legion stuff in Supergirl and Jay Garrick stuff in Flash.

But Saturn Girl in Batman? That's really random and out of place, unless the writer is going to write Legion.

It definitely makes sense to have Legion stuff in Supergirl and Jay Garrick stuff in Flash.

But Saturn Girl in Batman? That's really random and out of place, unless the writer is going to write Legion.
    Stuff like that used to happen a lot is the Silver and Bronze Age. Especially over at Marvel, where they were more aggressively establishing a shared universe.

I remember not too long ago (think it was during Infinite Crisis, or thereabouts) that superpowered non-Batman core characters guest-starred in a main Batbook. It felt weird because they hardly ever appear in his solo books.

I think having Saturn Girl pop up in Batman was a bold move. Because it makes the Legion more associated with 'what matters', and may lead to new readers.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-27-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    One thing about more and more "big name writers" doing more and more series for DC or Marvel: "big name writers" cost big $'s after a while, which probably results in higher comic book prices.
    Also, if "big name writers" are also working on other projects outside of DC or Marvel at the same time, there's no guarantee they'll stay on the DC or Marvel series which they don't own for a significant amount of time, nor is there any guarantee they'll be able to put out a truly quality story while still meeting monthly (let alone twice-monthly) deadlines.
    The best way to use the big name guys is to get them to come in at the start and get the book going with and arc or two and then bring in someone new. Say what you will but a big name writer and artist can really give a new series or a returning series that extra little push it might need to get some new people to check it out. That does cut both ways though since you don't want a niche writer or artist who attract just one group of people, and then those same people leave when that writer or artist do.

Astonishing Member

From what I have read, comments from Hickman regarding the Legion, it would be a passion project for him, something he might have had ideas about of decades and might have Geoff Johns like run (on GL or JSA) in him regarding the Legion. That would be ideal. Great writers can write any book but when they hook up with a character they have a strong affinity for, that's when the magic happens.

Astonishing Member

I'd be surprised if Tom King doesn't end up writing Legion, since he's been the one setting it up in Batman. Same reason I expect Joshua Williamson to write Justice Society, since he's been setting it up in Flash and JL vs SS.
    I hope not. The only one that seemed to "get" the JSA was Johns. Everyone that followed after him didn't have a clue what to do.

Astonishing Member

Geoff would be ideal, tptb are just too busy trying to get him to save everything. That being said he would be ideal for both JSA and LSH and if I controlled DC that is what I would put him on. As much as I loved his GL run by the end it seemed he told all the GL stories he had to tell but it was the best run on that title ever. That being said Hickman is a great writer who has expressed interest and love for the property and has one hell of a resume.

Geoff would be ideal, tptb are just too busy trying to get him to save everything.
    Maybe that's because those other areas could make way more $'s for DC then just sticking him on a comic book or two would.

Fantastic Member

Hickman was talking about how DC keep messing up their continuity, so they will soon need him to write a Secret War like event for them to reboot again, it's almost certainly a joke.
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 04-27-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe that's because those other areas could make way more $'s for DC then just sticking him on a comic book or two would.
    true but whose to say that writing comics is the only thing he can do that well. Sort of like making your all time best head coach the president of basketball (or whatever sport) operations. What if Geoff can write a hell of a comic but isn't the savior of movies or tv shows or whatever? Not saying he can't do it just saying just because you can do one thing better than anyone else doesn't mean you can everything better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    Hickman was talking about how DC keep messing up their continuity, so they will soon need him to write a Secret War like event for them to reboot again, it's almost certainly a joke.
    For Hickman to say yes I am sure a JMS level autonomy for his Legion book would be part of his accepting the deal, no continuity altering or being pulled into events unless he green lights.

For Hickman to say yes I am sure a JMS level autonomy for his Legion book would be part of his accepting the deal, no continuity altering or being pulled into events unless he green lights.
    Oh, lord no . . . let's not have another repeat of JMS-like stupidity like when JMS gave us "Grounded" for Superman (then abandoned that and his Wonder Woman run to work on a different project for DC).

Astonishing Member

ouch forgot about those because I didn't read those, I was thinking about his Thor run, that he left because of editorial interference.

BANNED

Sure, and Legion by default should be pretty easy to keep separate from events and such, seeing how it's set 1000 years or so in the future.

Anyway, I hope it happens. I know I would read it.