Page 244 of 247 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244245246247 LastLast
Results 3,646 to 3,660 of 3695

I still can't believe they got Scott on such a trumped up charge as a THOUGHT CRIME. It's called fantasizing people. What Scott basically did was think about Emma while "Waxing his carrot" as George Carlin so eloquently put it. If that's a crime then every man and woman on Planet Earth would be just as guilty. Even Pre-Crime in Minority Report didn't go after that as Rape or Infidelity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I still can't believe they got Scott on such a trumped up charge as a THOUGHT CRIME. It's called fantasizing people. What Scott basically did was think about Emma while "Waxing his carrot" as George Carlin so eloquently put it. If that's a crime then every man and woman on Planet Earth would be just as guilty. Even Pre-Crime in Minority Report didn't go after that as Rape or Infidelity.
    What went down was more than fantasizing. There's nothing wrong with fantasies but those involve one person. Interacting with a telepath whom makes everything feel real is alot more intimate than him simply sitting at a table by himself in his thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    What went down was more than fantasizing. There's nothing wrong with fantasies but those involve one person. Interacting with a telepath whom makes everything feel real is alot more intimate than him simply sitting at a table by himself in his thoughts
    Whoever made the point that the closest real world analogue to what Scott and Emma did is phone sex is correct in my opinion. It was wrong, it was cheating, but it isn’t the same as a physical affair.

BANNED

Still discussing the affair, really?

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Still discussing the affair, really?
    Well, it is literally the single most defining X-moment in the entire history of the series. It is the black hole at the center of the X-universe, with every event, story, and character rotating around where they were when it happened.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Well, it is literally the single most defining X-moment in the entire history of the series. It is the black hole at the center of the X-universe, with every event, story, and character rotating around where they were when it happened.
    The affair caused AvX, IvX, and Perlmutter to suppress the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Whoever made the point that the closest real world analogue to what Scott and Emma did is phone sex is correct in my opinion. It was wrong, it was cheating, but it isn’t the same as a physical affair.
    Phone sex isn't close to a mental simulation.

BANNED

And people still think I didn't have a point in all my posts about the affair being destined to be the eternal focus

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    And people still think I didn't have a point in all my posts about the affair being destined to be the eternal focus
    maybe they'd just retcon it, I'm against retcons but if they're gonna focus so much of it might as well erase it altogether . . . Then again people would still find something else to complain about cyclops, heavy is the head that wears the crown, even more if you rule a nation of fools

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    maybe they'd just retcon it, I'm against retcons but if they're gonna focus so much of it might as well erase it altogether . . . Then again people would still find something else to complain about cyclops, heavy is the head that wears the crown, even more if you rule a nation of fools
    You can't retcon it because it is the center. It's vacuum would be obvious, with a solution that either throws Scott under the bus, Jean under the bus, Emma under the bus, or some combination thereof.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Bingo. Phone sex? This goes way, way beyond phone sex. I suppose it comes down to how you view world class telepaths, and their abilities, in the Marvel Universe. I will bring up the example I normally bring up. MUIR ISLAND SAGA. Charles Xavier was crippled again in that story. Not from anything that happened on the physical plane. From injuries sustained on the astral plane.

It's why I view what Scott did, while not the SAME thing as a physical affair, close enough in my view to count it as adultery.

BANNED

You can't retcon it because it is the center. It's vacuum would be obvious, with a solution that either throws Scott under the bus, Jean under the bus, Emma under the bus, or some combination thereof.
    It would be like the steamroller scene from Jojo, except it's three buses hitting three people.

BANNED

I think the main problem is cheating, if the cheating is erased then it'll fix 99% of the problem... The rest of the issue would be who to throw under the steamroller? Cyclops has been through it long enough, my candidate is Jean since she's criticproof due to her flawlessness

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    If we go by people who hate the relationship, they already show they're pretty adamant and won't change their stance no matter what happens. Not going back to the pairing is the best way to guarantee there won't MORE people hating the relationship and Scott. Whatever happens, someone down the line will eventually want to approach on an angle that makes Scott sound like the most abusive husband ever and, as seen in this very thread, for some people it tarnishes the character forever.

Scott was completely viable then because Jean wasn't around, so there was no reason to hammer on the fact that he cheated on her. You put them together, there's plenty of room and opportunity to do that. It's one thing to have it happen and move on, another have it happen, insist on it and use it as way to portray Scott in the most negative way available, which will happen if/when they are put together. It's just the way Marvel works.
    Sure don't agree about the first part. Jean doesn't have to be around. Scott was shacked up with the woman he had the affair with 5 minutes after Jean died. That is shoving the affair right in our face. Maybe if Scott and Emma weren't together it might have faded. But the way Marvel did it didn't keep Scott from becoming the alpha dog of the X universe. Or so I read.

Right now, I can see your point. Him back with Jean I can see as being more likely to spur conversation about the affair. I still think the hating is just message board conversation that I doubt Marvel is sweating. And it's not like it's all hatred. Haven't done any actual counting, but my impression is Scott has at least as many people defending him on this as criticizing him.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I don't think there is any need to retcon anything. The best way to do touch the topic is like adult people do, admiting faults and apologizing.

again i think that if the point is stop the toxic discussion keeping them totally apart is unrealistic and only keeps giving that moment more power by making it the defining moment on the relationship.

Also i think domestic violence is way worse than an affair (not saying the other thing isn't bad), like at least for me they are not on the same level and i hate the comparisson. Yeah Jean and Scott had it rought at the end, they were a bit disfunctional during morrison but domestic violence is a whole other thing. Hank Pym is worse (to me at least), like that's a really bad comparisson. Scott has fallen sometimes but not that low