View Poll Results: What's the best way forward for the comics industry?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Embrace digital even if it hurts comic stores

13 48.15%
  • Status Quo

8 29.63%
  • Offer digital discounts a month or two after initial release

0 0%
  • Other

6 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should the Big 2 sacrifice the direct market and focus on digital?

Just about every branch of the entertainment industry is dealing with hard copies vs. digital/streaming, and comics is no exception. Other industries have had to adapt their business models but so far Comics have kind of straddled the fence. Yes you can have digital versions of comics, but at the same price as hard copies. The question is should Marvel/DC further embrace a digital model at the expense of the direct market?

Should they offer digital copies at cheaper rates than those offered in comic stores even if it would kill off a lot of businesses?

Would Marvel Benefit if they would offer a digital package on Marvel Unlimited for current issues, say a subscription a month for a certain amount of comics even if this killed off the direct market?

As a consumer I'm already digital and would jump on anything that would lower prices, but I also know there's a very loyal base of consumers who love their local comic shops and need a physical copy in their hands.

Just want some additional thoughts on this.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Keep the status quo.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Another vote for the status quo.

If DC and Marvel did both abandon the direct market and move entirely over to digital it would kill my interest in the medium. I'm not blind to the benefits of digital, and any move to make comics more affordable for people is always welcome, but I need to physically own and hold something. Reading comics on some kind of screen will never be the same for me.

The direct market will need looking at in the future though, no question about that.

I don't think DC and Marvel are going to have a choice after too long. The direct market isn't going to hold up forever. It seems to me that the only reason it has for this long is because the publishers and sole distributor can manipulate the market into a profitable model at the expense of the retailer and customer. IMO, the sooner that dies the better.

Also, at this point I have gone digital on just about everything anyway. I don't buy physical copies of music or movies. I have a Kindle app on my phone and my tablet. I haven't had cable in my home for nearly two years. Why it took me so long to embrace digital comics is beyond me, but over the past few months that is exactly what I've done and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

DC already offers their monthly titles at $2.99 instead of $3.99 (print+digital). Imho, that's fair considering digital doesn't actually get rid of the middlemen. They're just trading Diamond+comic shops for Apple+Amazon/comiXology.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay an extra premium for day and date Marvel Unlimited. However, buying comics from Marvel Unlimited? Not unless they improve the app first. It's easy to live with Marvel Unlimited's crappy app since the service is so cheap. Once you're paying $0.99+ per comic? Nope.

That said, not everyone has large tablets and I find reading comics on a smartphone is a suboptimal experience. I don't think digital would actually kill the direct market right now. Particularly not when a significant part of it is collectors unwilling to give up print. The thing is digital doesn't have to kill print. They could just leverage digital as an additional source of revenue and growth.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 05-01-2017 at 04:28 AM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    The thing is digital doesn't have to kill print. They could just leverage digital as an additional source of revenue and growth.
    I agree, but see it the other way around. Like most other entertainment publishers, I see the future of comics being primarily digital with print supplementing.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    I agree, but see it the other way around. Like most other entertainment publishers, I see the future of comics being primarily digital with print supplementing.
    Yes, I expect this to be the case eventually. It's not something that's gonna happen overnight. Unlike digital audio/video players, tablets are not nearly as ubiquitous. I'm guessing that's one of the barriers to adoption.

I expect Marvel Unlimited going day and date digital is the true test of how much of the direct market audience are loyal to the floppy format.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Go full blown digital.

Save books for special/limited edition hardcover collections like the Omnibus or super cheap Essential phone book size in black & white.

And for God's sake, make it look like something that would look elegant on your bookshelf, that can hide amongst the Hemingway's or Poe's.

I would be cool with (almost) full digital if they still release trades, omnibus and other types of books like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I would be cool with (almost) full digital if they still release trades, omnibus and other types of books like that.
    +1.

Given DRM, I don't want digital to be the sole means of distribution. Inexpensive digital serialization via Marvel Unlimited (or $0.99-1.99 per issue on comiXology) followed by HC/TPB releases, I do like. That would probably have the added benefit of making piracy slightly more difficult, too. Digital files can be embedded with watermarks so they can ban accounts for known pirates. Meanwhile, scanning print comic books doesn't leave a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    And for God's sake, make it look like something that would look elegant on your bookshelf, that can hide amongst the Hemingway's or Poe's.
    Given publishers are super fond of variants anyway, give choices for the cover. That or pair a colorful cover jacket with a staid and consistent style for the actual cover.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 05-01-2017 at 07:23 AM.
    Currently Following:

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I still would want to have both around for those days when your internet connection is going to be taxed or spied on so much Look at what the Trump reign is already doing with net neutrality.

If i'm sittin up in bed, I still enjoy the actual book itself in my hands. If I were on a bus, plane, train, etc. I'd want the digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I still would want to have both around for those days when your internet connection is going to be taxed or spied on so much Look at what the Trump reign is already doing with net neutrality.

If i'm sittin up in bed, I still enjoy the actual book itself in my hands. If I were on a bus, plane, train, etc. I'd want the digital.
    Lol, I prefer having the tablet in bed. I've ruined a few floppies reading them right before I fell asleep.
    Currently Following:

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    ME too. I'd be down with that. I've been wanting to go digital for awhile now but can't pull the trigger. Still enjoy the physical books too much.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Lol, I prefer having the tablet in bed. I've ruined a few floppies reading them right before I fell asleep.
    Yeah, but if you roll over on your tablet and damage it, which one costs you more?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, but if you roll over on your tablet and damage it, which one costs you more?
    The iPad is surprisingly sturdy. I've slept on top of mine countless times and it's more likely to cause me some bruising (corners digging in to skin) than me damage the iPad.
    Currently Following: