Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Mighty Thor #18 Spoilers

#18 The Omega Kiss – Aaron, Dauterman, Wilson
    It is probably easier to summarise in chronological order here.

Thor and the Asgardians are still battling the Shi’ar Gods from last issue following the breakdown of the contest. A brief power struggle occurs as Cul is not keen on following Thor’s orders to all attack at once. Sharra & K’ythri combine their power and blast a longboat with a stream of energy before Thor steps in and thrusts Mjolnir into the stream to block it and stands against it. Cul relents and calls for the gods of Asgard to fight as one, as Thor hurls her hammer upstream of the energy flow.

Just then Shi’ar forces materialise, but Gladiator bids them to stand down as “This is now a fight for the gods.” While Shadrak cowers in the corner still cringing at the thought of the Ultimate Judgment having been unleashed. He appears surprised by something on his scroll.

As Thor and Cul continue to bicker as they turn the tide of battle in their favour Shadrak calls for a cessation of the fight as there has been a declared winner, which to the disbelief of everyone is Thor.

Apparently the scroll itself has been keeping tally, and Thor was awarded extra points for the amassed support of the gods. Cul begins to dispute that they were fighting for her, but Sif silences him before that fact is noted.

Sharra & K’ythri threaten Shadrak with violence but he points out he is protected, they order Gladiator to send the command to destroy Earth, but he refuses declaring that from what he has seen “the Imperium has no gods.” They then refuse to yield to Thor and decide to end all of creation by kissing and allowing their passion to consume the universe. This is revealed to be the release of the Phoenix which immediately consumes the Shi’ar fleet in their sector.

Gladiator is enraged and Thor can feel the cosmos itself burning. She flies directly at the Phoenix but at its touch screams in pain and sees a vision of presumably Asgardia torn apart in flame, Mangog, a portal, a flaming Mjolnir, and herself in her sickly form reaching out to something.

As she falls at the feet of the assembled god Sharra & K’ythri laugh and Gladiator punches K’ythri out, followed by Kubark flying in and doing the same to Sharra as Warbird delivers an unbalancing kick, leaving both lying unconscious. Sif suggests that Gladiator and his gods have a lot to answer for, and he agrees but declares that the fight should now be focused on stopping the phoenix, although he knows it is unstoppable. Kid Gladiator proclaims that he knows a guy.

Thor, Kid Gladiator and Warbird port to a stereotypical dessert island which is revealed to be Krakoa, where Quentin Quire sits in the shade of a lone palm. He was bored but after a brief show of indigence he is suddenly intrigued by mention of the Phoenix.

On a longship the Asgardian A-listers are assembled with Quire, Gladiator, Kubark and Warbird. They watch the Destoyer try and destroy it but that fails as Quire explaind that the Phoenix is itself destruction. The issue closes with the longship approaching the Phoenix head on with Quire levelling a glowing shotgun.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-27-2017 at 03:56 AM.

The art by Dauterman is yet again impressive, although for this ageing digital reader all of the glowing effects from Wilson, while giving the book an appropriate epic feel, can be tiring on the eyes. Plus I can do without focus effects.

As a fan of Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men, I am glad to see some of his key characters back, effectively making this an X-crossover of sorts. The ending of the contest in Thor's favour was I guess inevitable, and necessary for the plot to continue, but it feels a little contrived. But all in all this is a great issue of what is solidly my favourite comic on the stands.

The portal in the vision is decorated with a Valknut. In a Marvel context I am not sure if it has been used before. The implication is that the portal is to the realm of death. The runes would normally translate to FALHALLA which probably implies Valhalla. There is a tall thin figure apparently opening the door.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-27-2017 at 04:08 AM.

I suspect the vision is the main talking point for speculation purposes so I will post a cropped version of the page that focuses on the elements of that vision.

Digital Mighty Thor V2015 #18 - Part Four_ The Omega Kiss (2017_6) - Page 16.jpg

The main focus of the vision seems to be one of foreboding and death. I have long suggested that the logical place for this story to go is for Jane to die. What I am intrigued with is if that would necessarily result in the death of the female Thor personality.

It is possible the door is in the act of closing upon a figure that has just entered, which would presumably be Jane in that instance. The slightness of the head and neck could indicate that it was her.

The other question that springs to mind, is the Phoenix also the prophesied Queen of Cinders. It would seem odd for there to be two fire based stories, but the top right seems to have Asgardia in flames, and that may not be related to this story.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-27-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Sort of interesting that Phoenix is showing up both in this book and in Thanos. It's pretty busy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Sort of interesting that Phoenix is showing up both in this book and in Thanos. It's pretty busy these days.
    The Phoenix will also be the main focus on the Jean Grey solo. I hope Aaron move on from this plot quick, WatX is probably his only book I dislike, and Quentin Quire...

BANNED

Excellent issue. Always a treat to see Aaron writing Quentin Quire!

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The Phoenix will also be the main focus on the Jean Grey solo. I hope Aaron move on from this plot quick, WatX is probably his only book I dislike, and Quentin Quire...
    Not actually sure it will be appearing there, at least to start with. The interviews don't suggest it's about that, but rather about Jean coming to terms with the legacy of her alternative version including the Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Not actually sure it will be appearing there, at least to start with. The interviews don't suggest it's about that, but rather about Jean coming to terms with the legacy of her alternative version including the Phoenix.
    At least she would have a premonition about it.

Astonishing Member

Eh if Jane does die, I see it as only temporary. Again, she's arguably the best selling new female character. There's no way they're just going to completely remove that character from the shelves. She'll probably roam valhalla for a while only to return back because Odin decided he wants her alive. In comes Asgardian magic and boom she's back to thor again.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Eh if Jane does die, I see it as only temporary. Again, she's arguably the best selling new female character. There's no way they're just going to completely remove that character from the shelves. She'll probably roam valhalla for a while only to return back because Odin decided he wants her alive. In comes Asgardian magic and boom she's back to thor again.
    I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I was suggesting that Jane dying is the logical conclusion of the arc, a commentary on who Thor is as a concept, an acceptance that cancer is not taken lightly in comics, an exploration of Valhalla, a reflection on how Simonson removed Blake, a potential retcon of Roy Thomas' horrid Blake story, and generally an interesting story. Thor need not go anywhere as my bet is she will remain alive after Jane dies, and Jane wouldn't be the first person to eventually return from Valhalla, but she would be notable as a female entering that almost exclusively male hall.

PS Annabelle was briefly in Valhalla in the patchy but occasionally great Fearless Defenders.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-27-2017 at 03:46 PM.

I've never wanted to strangle a fictional character...until Quentin Quire.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I was suggesting that Jane dying is the logical conclusion of the arc, a commentary on who Thor is as a concept, an acceptance that cancer is not taken lightly in comics, an exploration of Valhalla, a reflection on how Simonson removed Blake, a potential retcon of Roy Thomas' horrid Blake story, and generally an interesting story. Thor need not go anywhere as my bet is she will remain alive after Jane dies, and Jane wouldn't be the first person to eventually return from Valhalla, but she would be notable as a female entering that almost exclusively male hall.

PS Annabelle was briefly in Valhalla in the patchy but occasionally great Fearless Defenders.
    I have three hypothetical questions.

The first two based on this prediction

Firstly, if, after this happens, 'Jane' hears the whisper and, like 'Odinson', agrees with it (side note - admittedly she is more righteous or perhaps doesn't question things as much as 'Odinson so I believe is less likely to agree with it) or for some other reason becomes unworthy - What would happen to her as she would no longer have another 'form' to turn back to?

Secondly - What value would 'Jane' then have for exploring and understanding the concept of Thor? Or is this the point Aaron switches back to 'Odinson' to continue his exploration on who Thor is as a concept?

Third question (not related to the above prediction) - How would this story (i.e. the gods challenge/Shi'ar) be different if a worthy 'Odinson' was Thor? I'm asking for an interpretation/guess from people who know the differences between the two Thors, the history of Thor and Aaron's writing better than I do.

Amazing Member

As a 30+ year reader of these books, I'll take a stab at your questions.

1) She could easily become an immortal and live in Valhalla. Remember 'William the Warrior' from the JMS arc? Dude dies, and is seen in Valhalla where he belongs. Jane could be the same. Or, the writers could pay homage to the many, many, many issues in the past where Jane lauds the importance of the medical profession she held so dear, and go back to earth to save lives. Alternatively, Odin could make her a Valkyrie.

2) The 'concept of Thor' crap will disappear when a new writer comes in. Thor is Thor. The guy, and no-one else. If they want to move forward with this diversity angle successfully, Jane will have to stand on her own as a character, and not piggy-back on an existing male hero. The best service that Aaron could do with Jane Foster is to make her a unique hero in her own right, with her own book, her own story, and let her move forward. Put the real Thor back where he was, and let a new generation learn of both as independent heroes.

3) One of the great things about the real Thor is that he fought things head on, and overcame the obstacles as a hero, or lost as a headstrong fool. He relied on his friends to guide him where he needed to be, and to assist in making decisions that were above his intellect. Remember the early issues of Aaron's run when King Thor fought Galactus? I imagine it would be a very similar approach.

I was leaning towards Jane joining the valkyrior

Astonishing Member

Took less than one page for a couple of trolls to try and ruin a review thread. Must be a new record.