Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite X-Man?

All-New Member

Emma Frost and Rictor

Cyclops:
    UX059-03.jpg
    Until bad writing ruined him he was Mr. X-Man.
    The strong, quiet leader that got the best out of his team.
    The heir apparent to Xavier.
    The X-Man that all other X-Men looked up to.

Even when he was written inconsistently and overexposed, I've always loved Wolverine. The look, the powers, the attitude..

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Even when he was written inconsistently and overexposed, I've always loved Wolverine. The look, the powers, the attitude..
    I think it's easy to forget what a great character he truly is.

There's beauty in the heart of the b****

My favorite X-Man is...
    CYCLOPS!

Scott Summers was the first X-Men and he always held back and upheld his "good boy" image. I can relate to that. I always felt like I had to be what others needed or expected. He became my favorite when he became who HE wanted to be and took on the responsibility of leading his people. Cyclops was ALWAYS right, he did great things with the phoenix force and his death was tragic, yet poetic. I eagerly await his return.2590208-cyclops.jpg
    Last edited by GeneTitan; 04-27-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    He's adorable. A sensitive, simple man with the power to become strong and invulnerable. Not very subtle, but I find it compelling.

I like how tragic his life is. He'd rather be farming and painting and living with his family, but instead he spends his time fighting and killing and dying for a hopeless dream. A soft Russian teddy bear thrown into a crucible.

John Bolton is just amazing. I loved his art and story-telling style in the Classic back-up stories. The show of day passing into night is just brilliant and heartfelt.

My favorite X-Man is the guy in my avatar -- NIGHTCRAWLER!

Charismatic, loyal, witty charming, fun loving but with a very deep center. He sometimes has a habit of letting his emotions and need to do what's right get him down. He isn't a perfect hero, he is a everyman in a fantastical body and journey. He is also complex in that he is conflicted as a man with a spiritual side and a very moral code and loving to play the adventurer and facing the consequences of it. The fact that such a spiritual man is best friends with Logan also makes him even more interesting. I still think Excalibur was the prime example of Kurt at his best from reluctant leader to a confident leader and it was an fascinating transformation to witness. Plus he looks AWESOME and even more awesome kicking ass.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-27-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Ultimate Member

Of the originals, definitely Cyclops. (I was only fond of Beast as an Avenger. He's much less fun as an X-Man, IMO.) Re-reading The Dark Phoenix Saga, there's some classic Cyclops in there. He argues with the Professor about what sort of leadership style will and won't work with grown men like Wolverine, who won't fall in line for a few 'demerits.' And we see him *this close* to talking down Dark Phoenix/Jean, before the Professor (again!) turns it back into a fight by sneak attacking her. He was such a great leader, back in the day.

Of the 'All-New, All-Different' crew, it's Nightcrawler by a mile. He's just fun, and amazing, and manages to snatch a life of joy from a huge bowl of suck that he's been given. He was great both as an X-Man, and later in Excalibur. As a huge Legion of Super-Heroes fan, and a huge Dave Cockrum fan, I also have a nostalgic love of the fuzzy elf, from the days when he was meant to be an actual demon, and a potential Legion foe!

For mutants who haven't technically been X-Men, I'd pick Jamie Madrox, the Multiple Man, who, under Peter David's pen, is just an amazingly fun character. But how could he not be? He's a dozen different characters all rolled into one big mass of multiple personality whacky, so there's bound to be a Jamie in there for everyone!

For the ladies, Storm was an amazing character, wise beyond her years, the way she was written pre-Callisto stabbing. There's been a Storm-shaped hole in the X-Men since then, and it's never been filled, no matter how many stabby-foos are introduced to add to the 'angry violent person' brigade. Monet is probably my current favorite mutant lady, again, thanks a lot to her characterization under Peter David.

Its so fantastic -- threads like these -- reading all the passion readers harbor for these characters and getting to read how they touch each of our nerdy lives, respectively.

Yesterday was a pretty heavy "the internet is awful" day for me, so to dip back into THIS thread and be reminded of the positive energy that can come from message boards and community is really invigorating.

A big THANK YOU to all participants.

(Deadpool doesn't count, I know. I play by the rules )

1) GAMBIT
    1A) ICEMAN

Gambit was the first Marvel character I took a liking to way back in one of the X-Men Sega games. My cousins had it and every time I was at their house we'd play it and I thought Gambit was awesome. Partially because my favorite Ninja Turtle is Donatello and they both wield a bo staff with a lot of purple going on. So that helped. As I learned more about him, being from New Orleans, an anti-hero of sorts, all that stuff, I took even more of a liking to him. Plus, I'm a 90's baby and Gambit WAS the 90's as far as I'm concerned. Iceman was just a character that always grew on me. Loved his powers, his personality, his loyalty and light-heartedness, his potential... I could go on forever.

Much more recently, I've really taken a liking to Cyclops. The older I get, the more in common I realize I have with him.
    Last edited by cc008; 04-28-2017 at 06:36 AM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Definitely Cyclops. Perhaps even more so than Xavier nowadays, he's the rock of the franchise. I mean, the past year's X-titles revolved around Cyclops, and he wasn't even in them. I think that speaks volumes as to his importance to the team.

In terms of a character perspective, he's that kind of strong-willed leader that you can't help but respect, even when you disagree with his positions (I don't disagree with him at all, however). What's more, he demonstrates that kind of leadership without seeming Holier Than Thou or putting himself on a pedestal: he knows he's made mistakes, and he's become a better character for them. One of the few comic characters that, if they were real, I would outright respect (Richard Rider being the other).
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    (Deadpool doesn't count, I know. I play by the rules )

1) GAMBIT
    1A) ICEMAN

Gambit was the first Marvel character I took a liking to way back in one of the X-Men Sega games. My cousins had it and every time I was at their house we'd play it and I thought Gambit was awesome. Partially because my favorite Ninja Turtle is Donatello and they both wield a bo staff with a lot of purple going on. So that helped. As I learned more about him, being from New Orleans, an anti-hero of sorts, all that stuff, I took even more of a liking to him. Plus, I'm a 90's baby and Gambit WAS the 90's as far as I'm concerned. Iceman was just a character that always grew on me. Loved his powers, his personality, his loyalty and light-heartedness, his potential... I could go on forever.

Much more recently, I've really taken a liking to Cyclops. The older I get, the more in common I realize I have with him.
    Eh, I count Deadpool.

BANNED

I have a tough time deciding between Emma Frost and Jean Grey...

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Its so fantastic -- threads like these -- reading all the passion readers harbor for these characters and getting to read how they touch each of our nerdy lives, respectively.

Yesterday was a pretty heavy "the internet is awful" day for me, so to dip back into THIS thread and be reminded of the positive energy that can come from message boards and community is really invigorating.

A big THANK YOU to all participants.
    I was about to write something like this. It's great to verify how, apart from the foreseeable A-listers (Cyclops, Wolverine), almost every X-Man and X-Woman (even minors) has achieved to win at least ONE reader's heart --how each single character has got certain traits and values that touch a nerve for a particular person. I think it's beautiful

I know there are still 'fatal fans' of Kitty, Rachel, Madelyne, Proudstar, Sally, Dani out there. Julio made it already. Raise your voices!

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    John Bolton is just amazing. I loved his art and story-telling style in the Classic back-up stories. The show of day passing into night is just brilliant and heartfelt.
    Oh Gosh, amen to that. This very day I've finished 'Marada the She-Wolf' for my first time and I'm still floating. Hal Foster would be proud of him.

Used to be Storm.

Now it's Emma.