View Poll Results: How do you feel about the New Superman history from ACTION #977-978?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it! Completely Satisfied! Finally Ultimate Superman is here!

46 50.00%
  • Hate it! Screw the newer fans! bring back just Pre-Flashpoint Superman instead!

5 5.43%
  • Hate it! Screw the old fans! Bring back New 52 Superman continuity

9 9.78%
  • Not Sure how I feel yet. Wait and see.

17 18.48%
  • Don't care as long as the stories are good from here on out.

10 10.87%
  • I'd rather they had just completely rebooted again instead

5 5.43%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Default POLL: THE NEW SUPERMAN ORIGIN ...what did you think?

So, what do you all think of this version of Superman's origin. Love it? Hate it? Indifferent? Wish they'd just bring back Pre-Flashpoint Superman verbatim? Wish they'd just kept Nuperman instead of this? Wish they'd have done a complete from scratch reboot? What say you?

I voted the first option. Overall I like it. It's not perfect but given the circumstances I think it was the only viable option, a true compromise. What happens next in terms of just now telling stories without endlessly just tinkering with it will really determine how this ultimately shakes out.

NOTE TO MOD: Meant to add a sixth option "I'd rather they had just completely rebooted again instead" and can't fix it. If you could add it I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-27-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

It's not perfect but I definitely prefer it to New 52.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I would've liked if they had made a less abrupt transition from pre-FP to New52 in 2011.
    Not a fan of the current "composite" Superman. They should've find another less-invasive way to give Superman a son and working with the character they had like they're doing with the other Rebirth characters instead of merging/replacing Superman as if he were a random mid-tier character.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I would've liked if they had made a less abrupt transition from pre-FP to New52 in 2011.
    Not a fan of the current "composite" Superman. They should've find another less-invasive way to give Superman a son and working with the character they had like they're doing with the other Rebirth characters instead of merging/replacing Superman as if he were a random mid-tier character.
    Except the reason he has been merged in some ways is because he is their number one guy and represents DC Comics and Universe and not a Mid-Tier Character. The DC Universe was gutted lost time and relationships due to an outside force in the comics it looks to be Dr. Manhattan in the real world it was DC editorial and now the lead character the guy who started it all has been "healed" which will lead to the whole DC Universe being healed and gaining back what was lost.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Don't like it, but also don't hate any older fans. Just want progression and not regression in my favorite superhero.

I worry that all this navel gazing will lead to his irrelevancy.

I would have just broken Superman and Wonder Woman up and forgotten that, that was a thing- spend about a year or so redeveloping Lois and Clark. That's about it. Start telling new stories. Try and get China Melville to do ACTION COMICS and make it the more "Vertigo Superman", put Jeff Parker on SUPERMAN for your classic superheroics.

I just saved everyone all the headache.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-27-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Amazing Member

I don't care how hard I have to squint at the continuity, I'm happy as long as I can believe that the comics from the silver age to present are all somehow about the same guy.

You can streamline it as much as you want, just don't flat-out ignore the pre-Flashpoint stuff. That was the real issue with the new 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It's not perfect but I definitely prefer it to New 52.
    Basically this.

All Superman origin stories mesh together to me. All that changes seems to be whether the Kents are alive and when he first met Lex, and while I have my preferences there, at the same time I don't really feel all that strongly about either. What I am glad about is that they gave Superman his rich history back. Or at least close enough for me. Guy is supposed to be THE superhero. He he should be allowed to have his damn history. So Yeah, I got what I wanted from the outcome and IMO, they told a good story getting us there.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 04-27-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    I don't care how hard I have to squint at the continuity, I'm happy as long as I can believe that the comics from the silver age to present are all somehow about the same guy.

You can streamline it as much as you want, just don't flat-out ignore the pre-Flashpoint stuff. That was the real issue with the new 52.
    That's how I view Batman his past outside of his origin is usually vague so in my canon Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams run happened no matter the continuity.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 04-27-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Except the reason he has been merged in some ways is because he is their number one guy and represents DC Comics and Universe and not a Mid-Tier Character. The DC Universe was gutted lost time and relationships due to an outside force in the comics it looks to be Dr. Manhattan in the real world it was DC editorial and now the lead character the guy who started it all has been "healed" which will lead to the whole DC Universe being healed and gaining back what was lost.
    He was "merged" because Didio (and Jurgens) wanted bring Jon from convergence to the main continuity and didn't even know how to do it. Any in-story reason later Johns provided with Rebirth feels like just a way to create a story from the mess his colleagues (DiDio/Jurgens) started.

He was "merged" because Didio (and Jurgens) wanted bring Jon from convergence to the main continuity and didn't even know how to do it. Any in-story reason later Johns provided with Rebirth feels like just a way to create a story from the mess his colleagues (DiDio/Jurgens) started.
    Well I'm not going to defend Dan Didio we're only in this mess because of his brain fart called the New 52.

Amazing Member

That's how I view Batman his past outside of his origin is usually vague so in my canon Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams run happened no matter the continuity.
    I want to view everyone that way really. I know it's difficult when you have so many writers and characters, but if they can just try to make that one of their standards that would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Don't like it, but also don't hate any older fans. Just want progression and not regression in my favorite superhero.

I worry that all this navel gazing will lead to his irrelevancy.

I would have just broken Superman and Wonder Woman up and forgotten that, that was a thing- spend about a year or so redeveloping Lois and Clark. That's about it. Start telling new stories. Try and get China Melville to do ACTION COMICS and make it the more "Vertigo Superman", put Jeff Parker on SUPERMAN for your classic superheroics.

I just saved everyone all the headache.
    Well, those options with the "screw old fans/new fans" thing was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek.

and honestly I wish in a way either they didn't reboot in 2011 or they just stuck with Nuperman and just fixed him, which was doable until 2015. Nuperman as conceived by Morrison essentially was an ultimate Superman and could have easily with more care taken from the start and actually follow through with what Morrison laid down instead of what was done elsewhere, which was mostly crap. TRUTH assured that there was no going back without some major retcons or Fifth Dimensional hijinks to get us back on track , which was ultimately what they did do anyway.

I like your idea in a perfect world,but with the larger REBIRTH initiative in play and the fact it looks like the PreFlashpoint universe is slowly returning bit by bit , and with the Superman fanbase so divided from frankly, a decade of horrid moves and handling , there had to be a compromise and a threading of the needle, in my opinion, of course.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

The mess was in 2011 when DiDio and co decided to selectively reboot the DCU instead of applying it to the entire universe to start from scratch. Any fix was going to be somewhat messy because the result of the New 52 itself was a mess. Yes there was some good material all around,but was it worth what came as a result?

Or, you know, they could have done the smart thing and not have rebooted in 2011, done a softer relaunch and new numbering and direction that would have likely resulted in the same sort of sales bump they got.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    The mess was in 2011 when DiDio and co decided to selectively reboot the DCU instead of applying it to the entire universe to start from scratch. Any fix was going to be somewhat messy because the result of the New 52 itself was a mess. Yes there was some good material all around,but was it worth what came as a result?

Or, you know, they could have done the smart thing and not have rebooted in 2011, done a softer relaunch and new numbering and direction that would have likely resulted in the same sort of sales bump they got.
    Even though they didn't rebooted in 2011, in 2015/2016 they would still find some weird and messier way to retroactively give a 10-year-old son to Superman. It's a no-win situation.

Btw, things were messier even before Flashpoint for different reasons.