View Poll Results: How do you feel about the New Superman history from ACTION #977-978?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it! Completely Satisfied! Finally Ultimate Superman is here!

46 50.00%
  • Hate it! Screw the newer fans! bring back just Pre-Flashpoint Superman instead!

5 5.43%
  • Hate it! Screw the old fans! Bring back New 52 Superman continuity

9 9.78%
  • Not Sure how I feel yet. Wait and see.

17 18.48%
  • Don't care as long as the stories are good from here on out.

10 10.87%
  • I'd rather they had just completely rebooted again instead

5 5.43%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Not really fond of "mix-n-match" continuity. Would anyone really want a live-action series, for instance, created by splicing together footage from the movie serials, the 1950's TV series, the Reeve/Routh movies, Superboy (1989-1993), Lois & Clark, Smallville, and the DCEU as if they were all the same character? One where it is left to the viewer to work out just how Michael Rosenbaum evolved into Gene Hackman and included both BvS and John Shea scenes.

Not sure how they could have done this better with the limits being to establish a past leading to Jon as part of the new status quo, but that doesn't make what we were given a good thing.

For now I can grin and bear it as long as we start moving forward without more references to history that none of us actually saw except in some different configuration.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Even though they didn't rebooted in 2011, in 2015/2016 they would still find some weird and messier way to retroactively give a 10-year-old son to Superman. It's a no-win situation.
    Meh, would'nt have been the first time the children of iconic characters have been artificially aged up in Superman comics...step forward Lena and Chris

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Meh, would'nt have been the first time the children of iconic characters have been artificially aged up in Superman comics...step forward Lena and Chris
    Also over in the Batverse, Damien Wayne would like to say "hi".
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-27-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Even though they didn't rebooted in 2011, in 2015/2016 they would still find some weird and messier way to retroactively give a 10-year-old son to Superman. It's a no-win situation.

Btw, things were messier even before Flashpoint for different reasons.
    New 52 was the worse continuity wise there was never a mess that bad before. I always knew what Titans were Canon, I always knew if Barbara Gordon had been shot, then there was trying to jam Batman and GL's histories into 5 years. Past continuities could have a ripple here and there but New 52 was a tidal wave.

Honestly if you look at Superman's history it's always been evolving. The 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 80's, 90's, 00', and now all had changes to continuity if it was adding elements, creating Parallel Earths for past stories, Reboots, origin changes, it has always been a work in progress only the 70's and up to 85 with the Bronze Age was there ever a stable time where nothing was changed from what was the status quo at the start.

Not perfect but I can live with this

And personally I like the new status quo Best to see superman married and with a son

BANNED

love that superman has a son....seems unique to me that it is functional

I like it. They were far more inclusive of other eras, especially the New 52, than I ever anticipated them being. They stayed pretty true to the idea of a merger. There were some lost concepts that affected both sides of the fanbase, but to me that just shows it was balanced.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-27-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Don't like it, but also don't hate any older fans. Just want progression and not regression in my favorite superhero.

I worry that all this navel gazing will lead to his irrelevancy.

I would have just broken Superman and Wonder Woman up and forgotten that, that was a thing- spend about a year or so redeveloping Lois and Clark. That's about it. Start telling new stories. Try and get China Melville to do ACTION COMICS and make it the more "Vertigo Superman", put Jeff Parker on SUPERMAN for your classic superheroics.

I just saved everyone all the headache.
    I'm sure DC thought of doing that,but here is the thing, the goal was to have Jon in main continuity. Even if SM/WW broke up, he and Lois couldn't just suddenly have a 10 year old kid.

And frankly I still think in the larger scheme of things it really wasn't worth going through all this for Jon. Popular or not. And I say this as someone who pretty much likes and accepts him around now. But it was still REALLY long-winded and it did essentially waste an entire year. I like where it ended up, but all the same still will never like the journey to get there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And frankly I still think in the larger scheme of things it really wasn't worth going through all this for Jon. Popular or not. And I say this as someone who pretty much likes and accepts him around now. But it was still REALLY long-winded and it did essentially waste an entire year. I like where it ended up, but all the same still will never like the journey to get there.
    This I actually agree with for the most part. There were many other ways to make Jon canon without going through the convolutions of the past year and it was very sloppy. I still think the merging and all of that could have easily been at the end of Last days, with the Superman Rebirth one shot having this new history, then just continue on. They still could have had people remembering two Supermen and being confused and the Mxy as fake Clark story, and just used Superman Reborn to cement everything in place and tie into the stuff in the Button story in Batman and Flash.

On the other hand, if it was Jon's arrival that finally forced DC to actually build a new Superman continiuity rather than Dodge the whole thing like they did for much of the post 2006 era and the New 52... Perhaps it's what was needed to force Everyone to hammer out a new timeline? Either way, I like where we are right now.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Hhmmm.. Not Sure how I feel yet. Wait and see.

I enjoyed the AC 978(recommended for a friend).. Only for see the N52 Costume in his youth, even in the birth of John and the statue.. Ignoring the N52 Superman haters, I can forget my problems with the Super Family... and Start with Action Comics..

I donīt care the SM/WW, I only wanted see something new in that time.. I never had nothing against Lois.. Or I would never have started superwoman..

I hope that with his level(stronger than N52 Superman) the Superflare has disappeared, I mention this for Ulisses.. But I think that this power is now of Superwoman...
    Last edited by adrikito; 04-27-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'm only impressed by how fast DC is back-pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I'm only impressed by how fast DC is back-pedaling.
    Backpedaling would have been completely ignoring all elements of the New 52 , erasing everything from the continiuity and completely reverting to the preFlashpoint history and never acknowledging it ever happened or was published. Which I think most of us expected with a merger. But they didn't do that.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Rolled out in two biweekly issues, didn't obstruct the live plot, gave a nod to a number of my favorite stories, didn't make Clark a wimp, neat guest artists, validated the new 52... it's a winner to me.