Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    This second instalment isn’t anywhere as good as the original. The characters had an understated charm to them in the original, and the dysfunction worked because they were just getting to know each other. To me, Volume 2 was merely okay, and saved only by the third act. I didn’t care for the opening credits where the action was blurred and in the background. As someone already mentioned, the Drax laugh sounds insincere - Dave needs some acting lessons - and the Rocket laugh does as well (it sounds like his fake laugh in the original). The film was very choppy throughout the first two acts where the flow of the story would be interrupted by a character’s sad backstory. I thought the movie was too reliant on the music, it was rather jarring when the background music suddenly plays a song from his playlist, it takes you out of the moment - this happened about five or six times throughout - you’ll notice it when you watch it. The Sovereign pilots seemed to video gamey; gamers like me could probably relate but they just came off as infantile. As with all Marvel villains, Ego was rather disposable, I think he could have been negated without completely eliminating him - he’s a Celestial! - and I found it rather odd that someone billions of years old was evenly matched by someone who’s only half a Celestial and found out he had powers a day before, but that’s just me. I’d probably give the original 8.5/10, this one is only a 5/10. The “you killed my mom!” seemed to Tony Starkey to me; they were probably too far gone into filming when Civil War came out to change it I guess.

Some of the cool things:
    - Yondu’s death was handled really, really well
    - Seeing the original GotG (comic version)
    - Nice to see the Watchers, though their heads weren’t big enough
    - The Mary Poppins line
    "- Seeing the original GotG (comic version)"
    They were terrible looking. Worst than InHuman pic we got.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Weekend Box Office: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Zooms to $145M Debut!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-debut-1000890

"For the fifth year in a row, a superhero entry from Marvel and Disney has kicked off the summer box office in high style.

This time, the spoils belong to James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which debuted to $145 million from 4,347 theaters over the weekend — more than 54 percent ahead of the first film — for an early global total of $427.6 million. Males fueled the movie (56 percent), while 40 percent of ticket buyers were under the age of 25."
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    The movie doesnt have a goal the main characters are going for until ego reveals his plan is evil after the halfway point.

For some unknown reason Ego says he is a Celestial? Why? There absolutely no story purpose for this currently. Ego just being a living planet would be fine. Plus it retcons the previous movie and what they showed about the Celestials, unless Ego was lying.

The Sovereign were pretty much what the Kree are in the comics which just brings up the question of why do movie people do these changes? I guess it just there to facilitate a certain part of the screenplay. Like, there must be jokes where Rocket Raccoon hates being called a raccoon so his character is now changed to NOT knowing he is a raccoon.

I would say it's just below average. There was nothing new or interesting and for most of the movie you are just waiting. Actually, the "easter eggs" were the most interesting thing about the film.
    -I like James Gunn,but man! He plays fast & loose w/the characters.
    -I loved the Watchers easter egg (in fact I clapped very lightly w/delight )

"Taserface"... was the name really that funny?

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    "Taserface"... was the name really that funny?
    Yes, amusing at least which works for me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I see a lot of complaints about the first half and middle portion lacking direction but I kind of saw it as an opportunity to just spend time with the characters, like in a slice of life anime or a sitcom. The first movie was one predictable turn after another. In vol 2 and slowed down and appeared to not be going anywhere, and I enjoyed it. I loved the perfect people (the sovereign)
    too. It was fun watching them get knocked down a few pegs.
    It was the reverse of the first film. The villain, main plot, and third act were the best thing about the film. Once the film got going it was a blast until the end. The first film I didn't care about the villain or meet of the plot and the final act was unforgettable.

Also Ego is the best Marvel villain so far

Anyone else notice when Ego was showing to Peter his plan to seed every planet in the universe the word "eternity" was mentioned? I wasn't sure if it was a nod to Eternity, the living embodiment of the Marvel universe. When we see the image of all the seeded planets, I half expected it to zoom out showing the universe would become Ego in the shape of a man (like Eternity).

Really enjoyed this movie. The jokes landed for the most part, but to me they seemed to land more because they were better tied to their respective characters. There's slightly less action here despite the higher stakes (my friends and I watched Vol. 1 before heading straight to the theater for this one), which is a nice change of pace for a sequel. And the movie has a ton of heart to it, from adorable Groot to curmudgeon Yondu.

Drax continues to crack me up, and will always be my favorite.

I really appreciate how much focus and development Rocket received beyond being mere comic relief (in a movie full of comic relief characters).

Groot was a scene-stealer as always, but I like that he was in measured doses, given the sheer amount of characters here.

Mantis is hit or miss. Fun to watch, just as unintentionally goofy as the other Guardians, but not much else to her. I'd really love it if she became more than an expositionary character in the next movie. Though, it is nice that, even changing the character from human in the comics to an alien (understandably to keep Peter as the lone human on the team), they still cast an Asian actress for an originally-Asian comic character. Opportunities matter.

Ego was one of the better MCU villains. More charismatic, more charming, and more nightmarish than your usual lot. I remember watching the final battle and thinking, "Why haven't we had a scene like this in an X-Men movie, where Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse can be just as surreal and creative with their powers?"

For that matter, Kurt Russell's classic onscreen persona is such a great match for Peter Quill. If it wasn't for the evil cosmic daddy issue thing, I really could believe that they could play father and son in a different movie. That is some fine casting right there.

I must admit, I was skeptical when I heard that Ego would be played by human actor (even if Kurt Russell is awesome in everything he does), but that shot of Ego AS the Living Planet, complete with his trademark continent-wide mustache, quickly eased my fears.

In hindsight, I believe the movie *almost* passes the Bechdel Test. There were plenty of conversations between just women, but they still revolved around men -- Drax, Thanos, the Guardians as a whole. While it's certainly natural for Nebula and Gamora to talk about their daddy, a brief scene of Gamora and Mantis talking the way Mantis and Drax had been doing would've passed that test. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but it goes to show how easy it could be done.

And hey, big ups to Kraglin for coming through. I hope he's considered a full Guardian next time, and on the movie poster. He worked his way up from virtual extra to being prominent in the funeral.

I'm sad to see Yondu go, but at least we got a scene of Michael Rooker and Sylvester Stallone together again like in Cliffhanger.

For that matter, my biggest issue with Yondu's death is only because Michael Rooker really can do no wrong. He seems like such a swell guy and I was hoping to see more of him in the MCU somehow.

"I'M MARY POPPINS, YA'LL"
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-08-2017 at 08:18 AM.

I think just the fact that this movie had a pretty cool villain makes it stand out among the marvel movies.

As much as I enjoy the MCU, almost across the board I felt the villains were pretty underwhelming (Loki being the obvious stand out). But Ego was pretty cool Maybe not Health Ledger Joker cool, but comparing him to Ronan in the last movie was like night and day.

And even Ayesha, in the relatively small role she had, was fun.

I wish every movie had taken the time to make the villains this more two dimensional.

Hopefully Infinity War brings Yondu back.
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Saw it and loved it. At this point plot is just icing on the cake, ppl are gonna be showing up to see these characters interact. As great as Yondu was Bradley Cooper deserves alot of praise. No one would know it was cooper if they didnt tell you, and he brings a big chunk of the humor and heart once again. Unlike Vin, he earns his paycheck and then some.

Suprised how many of the jokes went to drax this time around, but the scene where Drax talks about his family and Mantis touches him and breaks down was really touching. It was a smart way to show how drax is feeling without breaking charatcer.

The gag with groot bringing the wrong thing back ran on too long but the part with the severed toe had the entire theater erupt.

Quote Originally Posted by PЯOVOSҬ View Post
    Hopefully Infinity War brings Yondu back.
    I don't know: I think Yondu's death seals the character's legendary status.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    He will be in a dream or flashback in Guardians 3 probaly as part of Stalones Team. Gunn cant not have Rooker there

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Yeah,true it's a great send off.

Suppose I am just going to miss seeing Yondu.
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Well, I wasn't thinking of anything major. Just something like, "As ancient and powerful as I am, I'm nothing compared to the combined might..." such and such from Ego. Could have further whetted the appetite for some fans without overdoing it for others. I hear ya, it's a fine line.
    If you have named yourself "Ego" you are not going to admit that anything at all in the universe has even the slightest chance of being more powerful than you.