Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

The movie doesnt have a goal the main characters are going for until ego reveals his plan is evil after the halfway point.

The only people with a goal after the beginning scene are Yondu and his Ravagers. And they are not the main characters. So for most of the movie we are just seeing a bunch of character development and nothing else. They even made a joke in the movie about them suddenly realizing that they are saving the galaxy again. All that made me think about is that, yes, in this movie they randomly ended up doing something at some point because were lucky to be found by Ego.

For some unknown reason Ego says he is a Celestial? Why? There absolutely no story purpose for this currently. Ego just being a living planet would be fine. Plus it retcons the previous movie and what they showed about the Celestials, unless Ego was lying.

Rocket Raccoon still doesnt want to be call a raccoon which i dont like at all. Mantis was just girl Drax. In fact, there was a scene where both were being stupid to each other and my reaction was the same a Nebula's. I mean, movie Drax is fine but having two acting basically the same is a bit tiring.

The Sovereign were pretty much what the Kree are in the comics which just brings up the question of why do movie people do these changes? I guess it just there to facilitate a certain part of the screenplay. Like, there must be jokes where Rocket Raccoon hates being called a raccoon so his character is now changed to NOT knowing he is a raccoon.

I didnt like the first one and this one isnt any better. Not having a goal for most of the movie was just bad but at least they didnt defeat the villain by dancing.

I would say it's just below average. There was nothing new or interesting and for most of the movie you are just waiting. Actually, the "easter eggs" were the most interesting thing about the film.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDub View Post
    The post credit scenes were great, but like another member asked, was that Hela who was apart of Slys crew? And who manned the all chick space ship at yondu's funeral? It was rather confusing because if it wasn't that girl looked a lot like her. (I did watch a bootleg version of it and at times it got blurry and shaky so I can't say it was her for sure)
    That's not Hela. That's Michelle Yeoh as Aleta Ogord, the female Starhawk.

The original Guardians in the movie are as follows:

Sly Stallone as Stakar/Starhawk
    Michelle Yeoh as Aleta Ogord
    Ving Rhames as Charlie-27

There is also Kurgarr and Mainframe though as far as I know their actors haven't been revealed yet.

http://screenrant.com/guardians-of-t...original-team/

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    One area the MCU undoubtedly needs to get more of is interesting bad guys. Do you think Ego transcended the generic Marvel movie villain tag they usually end up getting?
    Yeah, he's pretty good. Much better than Ronan and he fits the Guardians theme better.

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    I read somewhere that there was leeway given for Ego (falling under F4 rights) to be used in exchange for more freedom on X-Men related TV shows. That probably extended to having the Watcher's appear but not have any dialogue. I've forgotten the source.
    According to Gunn, Fox had the rights to Ego (for some reason) and Marvel had the rights for Negasonic Teenage Warhead so they exchanged.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Another thing I'll add is this is quite a standalone movie so there aren't any tie-ins and cameos to other MCU movies (I was waiting to see a cameo when the blob things started spreading on Earth); and there's no integration to the overarching Thanos storyline (besides Nebula wanting to kill him).

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That's not Hela. That's Michelle Yeoh as Aleta Ogord, the female Starhawk.

The original Guardians in the movie are as follows:

Sly Stallone as Stakar/Starhawk
    Michelle Yeoh as Aleta Ogord
    Ving Rhames as Charlie-27
    There is also Kurgarr and Mainframe though as far as I know their actors haven't been revealed yet.
    Martinex the glass looking guy was there too.

Played by Michale Rosenbaum

No Vance yet?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    No Vance yet?
    probably replacced by one of the two new additions.

So Ant Man gave us 80s Michael Douglas, Civil War gave us teen Robert Downey Jr, and now Guardians 2 has given us 80s Kurt Russel. And damn if it wasn't spot on.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

I know. They're pretty good at it.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Well you know it can't be THAT hard for Russel given he's barely aged since the 80s

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    The movie doesnt have a goal the main characters are going for until ego reveals his plan is evil after the halfway point.

The only people with a goal after the beginning scene are Yondu and his Ravagers. And they are not the main characters. So for most of the movie we are just seeing a bunch of character development and nothing else. They even made a joke in the movie about them suddenly realizing that they are saving the galaxy again. All that made me think about is that, yes, in this movie they randomly ended up doing something at some point because were lucky to be found by Ego.

For some unknown reason Ego says he is a Celestial? Why? There absolutely no story purpose for this currently. Ego just being a living planet would be fine. Plus it retcons the previous movie and what they showed about the Celestials, unless Ego was lying.

Rocket Raccoon still doesnt want to be call a raccoon which i dont like at all. Mantis was just girl Drax. In fact, there was a scene where both were being stupid to each other and my reaction was the same a Nebula's. I mean, movie Drax is fine but having two acting basically the same is a bit tiring.

The Sovereign were pretty much what the Kree are in the comics which just brings up the question of why do movie people do these changes? I guess it just there to facilitate a certain part of the screenplay. Like, there must be jokes where Rocket Raccoon hates being called a raccoon so his character is now changed to NOT knowing he is a raccoon.

I didnt like the first one and this one isnt any better. Not having a goal for most of the movie was just bad but at least they didnt defeat the villain by dancing.

I would say it's just below average. There was nothing new or interesting and for most of the movie you are just waiting. Actually, the "easter eggs" were the most interesting thing about the film.
    Damn, it basically has to reason to exist until halfway in? Also hated the first.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

Thank you. Apparently this isn't good for us shy bookish types. I'll be re-reading Jane Austen this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Played by Michale Rosenbaum
    Wow,did not realise Michael Rosenbaum was playing that dude but COOL!

Just looking up IMDB saw that Ben Browder played the Sovereign Admiral.

Cool!!

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I enjoyed it. Felt a little awesomeness leaking out of me a few times. As a kid who didn't have his dad around for about 13 yrs of his life and as a father kept from his kids by their mother, the father/family themes of the movie resonate on a different level with me. Didn't realize the group at the end was the OG GoTG as I didn't read up on the book pre-Starlord and Co.

That was cool and probably a cool moment for those more in the know about it so hopefully they enjoyed that.

Can't wait to see the Guardians and Avengers interacting.

I saw the movie last night and while I thought it was a fun movie, it definitely has some problems and like most critics say it is no where near as good as the first. I would honestly give it a 7.5/10 if I had to give it a rating. As other folks here have said there isn't a clear goal for the main characters until like the start of the third act which is to stop Ego from taking over the galaxy. Before that the movie is really about Peter and Ego and Yondu's arch. Nebula and Gamora arch was okay but I felt like it was there just to give those actors something to do and to tell the audience how bad Thanos is in preparation for Infinity War. The sovereign didn't need to be in this movie at all really as they only pop up every now and then and that's it. Drax sadly had nothing to do in this movie but he did have most of the films best lines/ jokes. I did like Rocket and baby Groot and Rocket's relationship with Yondu was cool. Honestly, I wish Adam Warlock was in this movie as the main villian or at least worked with Ego as it would have been more interesting at least. I got plans to see this again Saturday night with some friends and maybe my thoughts will change, but for now I think it's a fun movie (and the ending is pretty emotional) but it's flaws make it one of the weaker installments in the MCU.