Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I thought this was really good. As someone who didn't really enjoy the first all that much, I thought the second was very good. It was all about the characters, and the decision to focus on that and have the relationships and interactions between the characters be the main thrust of the film paid off imo. It was just really entertaining watching these characters interact.

I think the no plot progression/purpose thing has merit but for me the characters were more than serviceable in not making that a big issue at all. Honestly, I think every relationship/emotion in the film felt authentic. Every single one, and I find it incredible that the film was able to sell that and make it work with so many different characters. Definitely one of the strongest Marvel movies to date in terms of depth. Wasn't as shallow as some of the other films.

And damn, I almost died with the Pac Man cameo

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Damn, it basically has to reason to exist until halfway in? Also hated the first.
    The main characters are just walking around getting background info in Ego's planet and nothing else.

The B team, the Ravagers and RR, are the ones that get a goal plus some character development.

I like character development because who wants empty characters? But this should happen with a purpose around it.

This movie was brought to you by TASERFACE!
    Hail Hydra!

I thought it was really fun. While the plot is a bit thin, the strength of this movie is the interplay of the Guardians. Just like the first one they have great chemistry together and it carries the movie. Ego is a decided step up from Ronan, and I like that he wasn't just evil evil, he actually did want his son with him.

Basically if you liked/loved the first one you'll have a good time. If you didn't like the first one, well if you didn't like the first one I'm surprised you could even get past the trailer.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PЯOVOSҬ View Post
    Groot the potty mouth! He's a tree, he probably had manure in his pot when he was a sapling.

Baby Groot was excellent to see in action where even though small he still could deal decent damage!

BANNED

As someone who liked the first Guardians movie but didn't love it, I am pleased to report that I LOVED Vol. 2. I have seen and heard many complaints about the slow first half of the movie -- I don't get those at all! I thought the pacing was just fine. I thought the Sovereign did not feel as unnecessary as other people do. And man, I found myself falling for Ayesha. She looks so weird in the still photos but in action... she's actually quite the opposite. >///>

Loved the interaction between the characters. Yeah the jokes often fell flat and they were clearly trying too hard but that added to the charm in my opinion. I went into this movie with low expectations (because like I said, I didn't love the first movie). My expectations were exceeded. EGO has to be the best villain Marvel has given us so far. He brought so much gravity (pardon the pun) and emotion to the movie. I never really felt so involved in a Marvel movie as I did when Ego started being revealed for who he really was. He was visually stunning in his many forms as well and it left the sort of emotional and mental imprint on me that villains should. I came so close to tearing up during the climax. I guess it also helped that it was Kurt Russell playing the part because he's one of those actors who I want to root for in a movie so when he's actually the villain it's so much more conflicting for me. And Ego made the death of Peter's mom so much more powerful this time around, when in the first movie I just thought it felt so feeble. It was soooo much better than the first movie. Wow. I actually think I might just frame this when it comes out on Bluray. This might be my favorite Marvel movie so far and that says a lot because I thought the Winter Soldier was the ****!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    The weirdest part was Marvel Studio using the Watcher.
    MAN!!! I was so freaking glad to see they didn't shy away from the comic book big blue head with little white eyes. I never thought they would have the balls to give us the watcher even in a world where we have Rocket and Groot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I enjoyed it. Felt a little awesomeness leaking out of me a few times. As a kid who didn't have his dad around for about 13 yrs of his life and as a father kept from his kids by their mother, the father/family themes of the movie resonate on a different level with me. ...
    That might be why I liked it so much too. My sister and I were raised by our grandparents. They were far from perfect -- maybe a little too stern -- but they were all we could count on for parents. Our mother and fatherS.... all had... issues. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    So Ant Man gave us 80s Michael Douglas, Civil War gave us teen Robert Downey Jr, and now Guardians 2 has given us 80s Kurt Russel. And damn if it wasn't spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    I know. They're pretty good at it.
    According to Russel, they barely used CGI on him for the deaging process. It was mostly make up.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Mighty Member

Great movie, Marvel keeps getting better so far.

This one might surpass the original.

Mighty Member

A moment of silence for Taser-Face.

I freakin' loved this!

Russell, Stallone, Hasselhoff. Ego, Stakar, Knight Rider. PACMAN AND HEATHER LOCKLEAR!!!!!! And Stan the Man hangin' with the Watchers!!! OMG!!!

The plot meandered and dragged midway, but I'm okay with that.

I'm also okay with the various other complaints, such as overly dramatic character moments, over-used jokes, and silly moments.

No movie is perfect, nor should any try to be. I love the use and adaptation of Ego. They took 2 Marvel characters (if you include the book version of Starlord's dad) that might be tough to adapt on the big screen, blended them, and made it work. Saving the big payoff with the Sovereign to bring in Adam Warlock for the next flick is awesome. And the obscurity of book Taserface adapted to someone new, too.

Baby Groot was fun.

Loved the mid-credits scenes, especially the one with Sly. Ving Rhames as Charlie 27, the blue-haired chick is supposed to be Nikki (?), and the crystal guy is Martinex. Aleta, too?

And, of course, the soundtrack is spot on.
    Last edited by hulahulk; 05-06-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

I loved this movie and as much as I was shocked to see the Watchers and gasped out loud for pure fan joy but I have to say the Drax and Mantis scene was my favorite. Seeing Drax so happy and cocky that he got his revenge in the beginning to seeing through Mantis what he probably feels any time he remembers his family and that love convincing Mantis to help the guardians despite Ego's power was beautiful. It made me really wished they kept the deleted scene where Drax explains his tatoos are his family's history that much more.