Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    They took 2 Marvel characters (if you include the book version of Starlord's dad) that might be tough to adapt on the big screen, blended them, and made it work.
    What's tough about having his dad be the king of some planet?

BANNED

Loved this. Much better than the first for me.

I didn't like the bit about Ego being a Celestial (and the insinuation that he's the only one), and I felt the "last battle" was a bit too drawn out, but otherwise it was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    What's tough about having his dad be the king of some planet?
    Did you change my screen name to LordTrump? If you did, that's a jerk move.

I said "might", given that they had other plot items to address. I'm not all that familiar with the book version of his dad, so why don't you enlighten me as to how easy it is.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Just got back from it. Had a good time. What a fun, dumb movie with heart. I really enjoyed.

Damn shame about Ego, though. They finally produce another villain that's as good as Loki. spoilers:
    So naturally they killed him :/
    end of spoilers
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    The movie doesnt have a goal the main characters are going for until ego reveals his plan is evil after the halfway point.

The only people with a goal after the beginning scene are Yondu and his Ravagers. And they are not the main characters. So for most of the movie we are just seeing a bunch of character development and nothing else. They even made a joke in the movie about them suddenly realizing that they are saving the galaxy again. All that made me think about is that, yes, in this movie they randomly ended up doing something at some point because were lucky to be found by Ego.

For some unknown reason Ego says he is a Celestial? Why? There absolutely no story purpose for this currently. Ego just being a living planet would be fine. Plus it retcons the previous movie and what they showed about the Celestials, unless Ego was lying.

Rocket Raccoon still doesnt want to be call a raccoon which i dont like at all. Mantis was just girl Drax. In fact, there was a scene where both were being stupid to each other and my reaction was the same a Nebula's. I mean, movie Drax is fine but having two acting basically the same is a bit tiring.

The Sovereign were pretty much what the Kree are in the comics which just brings up the question of why do movie people do these changes? I guess it just there to facilitate a certain part of the screenplay. Like, there must be jokes where Rocket Raccoon hates being called a raccoon so his character is now changed to NOT knowing he is a raccoon.

I didnt like the first one and this one isnt any better. Not having a goal for most of the movie was just bad but at least they didnt defeat the villain by dancing.

I would say it's just below average. There was nothing new or interesting and for most of the movie you are just waiting. Actually, the "easter eggs" were the most interesting thing about the film.
    Oh, give me a break. Dude, you are in every single movie thread complaining about changes from the source material in the MCU. If you don't like change, just stick to the comics instead of continuing this years-long pattern. You're as predictable as dead leaves in the fall.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

I see a lot of complaints about the first half and middle portion lacking direction but I kind of saw it as an opportunity to just spend time with the characters, like in a slice of life anime or a sitcom. The first movie was one predictable turn after another. In vol 2 and slowed down and appeared to not be going anywhere, and I enjoyed it. I loved the perfect people (the sovereign)
    too. It was fun watching them get knocked down a few pegs.

I think this was pretty on par with the first i.e I loved it! Only problem is that I feel like Gamora is still bland as hell, and her plot with Nebula was only there to set up infinity war and never really landed those emotional bits to me. Ego was great as was his chemestry with Star-Lord. Drax was somehow more adorable than Baby Groot. Also Stan Lee works for the Watcher, that's awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I think this was pretty on par with the first i.e I loved it! Only problem is that I feel like Gamora is still bland as hell, and her plot with Nebula was only there to set up infinity war and never really landed those emotional bits to me. Ego was great as was his chemestry with Star-Lord. Drax was somehow more adorable than Baby Groot. Also Stan Lee works for the Watcher, that's awesome.
    Oh I forgot about Gamora. I'm still disappointed by how much she looks like the Black Widow of the team, rather than a force to reckoned with. We did get a glimpse of her strength with she lifted the gun off of that spacecraft but it's easy to lose the significance of that feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Oh I forgot about Gamora. I'm still disappointed by how much she looks like the Black Widow of the team, rather than a force to reckoned with.
    yeah, the whole den mother angle, idk, I get why that's what they'd go for, and it sort of worked for a team like Avengers, But for the Guardians of the Galaxy, I wish they'd let the girls be as fun and screwed up as the boys, if that makes sense.

We did get a glimpse of her strength with she lifted the gun off of that spacecraft but it's easy to lose the significance of that feat.
    in that fight I didn't really care if one of them killed the other. I just felt nothing for either of them.

I guess its the best Phase 3 movie, though that isn't saying much.

Good
    > The cinematography was okay to goodish, at least for a Marvel. Lots of bright colours and some interesting shots, a stark difference from the otherwise dull, muted and grey MCU. At the same time it is not too impressive, Force Awakens, Rogue One and Star Trek Beyond look better.
    > Most of the characters were good, not a huge fan of any of them.
    > Ego was passable as a villain, but anyone trying to pass him off as a 'great villain' is trying to rebuke the 'Marvel has no good villains' mantra. There is a stark difference between a good villain, an effective villain and a poor villain. I actually prefer Ronan from the first film.

Bad
    > I had the plot tact down without even watching a trailer.
    > Marvel has another failure with Gamora. The character just isn't likable. I think this is partly due to Zoe Saldana, as she is without a doubt the weakest chain in the cast for the Star Trek reboot, but both Black Widow and Scarlet Witch suck too, so Marvel is partly to blame as well. Star Lord isn't much better.
    > Baby Groot made himself unwelcome in the first scene.

I'll probably have to muse on it some more. Its not garbage like Civil War and Dr. Strange, though I doubt I'll ever watch it again.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 05-06-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Spectacular Member

Unbelievable how great phase 3 has been after three films; even ahead of the first three films of phases 1 and 2. Thor 3 has the best buzz of all the remaining comic book movies of 2017, and Black Panther is looking like a potential game changer.

Another awesome entry in the MCU catalogue. The ceiling/floor quality of these fifteen movies is extraordinarily solid, and overall unprecedented in the history of cinema. Feige has got to be in the running for most influential producer of all-time.

Incredible Member

Mixed feelings about the movie. It's not as good as the first one, but overall I really liked it. One thing that I can't get over though is Yondu's death. The first movie proved that Peter can survive in space without protection for a few minutes, so Yondu needed that force field thing more than he did. Second, why doesn't EVERY spaceship have those damn things? They're extremely useful. To me, Yondu's death felt like just as much of a cop out as Jonathan Kent's death in Man of Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Did you change my screen name to LordTrump? If you did, that's a jerk move.

I said "might", given that they had other plot items to address. I'm not all that familiar with the book version of his dad, so why don't you enlighten me as to how easy it is.
    I dont know how the names changed, blame the board.

The comic version is like i said. He an alien from Spartax, they are basically humans, and he is the king of their people. I dont know why they needed to answer the dad question now and in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Oh, give me a break. Dude, you are in every single movie thread complaining about changes from the source material in the MCU. If you don't like change, just stick to the comics instead of continuing this years-long pattern. You're as predictable as dead leaves in the fall.
    This is a comic board, the movie section is pretty much discussing changes when it's not discussing other things.

I see a lot of complaints about the first half and middle portion lacking direction but I kind of saw it as an opportunity to just spend time with the characters, like in a slice of life anime or a sitcom. The first movie was one predictable turn after another. In vol 2 and slowed down and appeared to not be going anywhere, and I enjoyed it. I loved the perfect people (the sovereign)
    too. It was fun watching them get knocked down a few pegs.
    If the movie was promoted as a slice-of-life i think there would be less of an issue.

Oh I forgot about Gamora. I'm still disappointed by how much she looks like the Black Widow of the team, rather than a force to reckoned with. We did get a glimpse of her strength with she lifted the gun off of that spacecraft but it's easy to lose the significance of that feat.
    All the movie version of the characters are basically the opposite of the comic version.

oh oops, that guy is going to get mad that we are discussing the differences!

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    This second instalment isn’t anywhere as good as the original. The characters had an understated charm to them in the original, and the dysfunction worked because they were just getting to know each other. To me, Volume 2 was merely okay, and saved only by the third act. I didn’t care for the opening credits where the action was blurred and in the background. As someone already mentioned, the Drax laugh sounds insincere - Dave needs some acting lessons - and the Rocket laugh does as well (it sounds like his fake laugh in the original). The film was very choppy throughout the first two acts where the flow of the story would be interrupted by a character’s sad backstory. I thought the movie was too reliant on the music, it was rather jarring when the background music suddenly plays a song from his playlist, it takes you out of the moment - this happened about five or six times throughout - you’ll notice it when you watch it. The Sovereign pilots seemed to video gamey; gamers like me could probably relate but they just came off as infantile. As with all Marvel villains, Ego was rather disposable, I think he could have been negated without completely eliminating him - he’s a Celestial! - and I found it rather odd that someone billions of years old was evenly matched by someone who’s only half a Celestial and found out he had powers a day before, but that’s just me. I’d probably give the original 8.5/10, this one is only a 5/10. The “you killed my mom!” seemed to Tony Starkey to me; they were probably too far gone into filming when Civil War came out to change it I guess.

Some of the cool things:
    - Yondu’s death was handled really, really well
    - Seeing the original GotG (comic version)
    - Nice to see the Watchers, though their heads weren’t big enough
    - The Mary Poppins line
    This is basically how I felt about the movie. It was good, but could have been better.

I do have to say, I asked all the people I watched the movie with and they did not feel the same way as i did: Yondu's sacrifice actually made me misty eyed. None of the other people I watched the movie with felt moved, but I was. Really well handled.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Just cannont grasp the "Gamora/Nebula are not likeable." criticism.

Thanos raised them, and he was not raising debutantes.