Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just cannont grasp the "Gamora/Nebula are not likeable." criticism.

Thanos raised them, and he was not raising debutantes.
    The whole "competing siblings, so one gets put to shame for not being as good as the other" resonates very deep within me, as my mother forced that kinda **** on my brother and I. Of course neither of us had body parts replaced with mechanical pieces, but the emotion of it all hit home with me. It caused some hard feelings between my brother and I for a very long time, until we were both old enough to realize the truth of it all.

Unglaublich!

We went to see this earlier this week and, to be completely honest, we couldn't wait for it to end!! And this is coming from two people who love the first GOTG movie.

Am I the only one who didn't realise Ego was the villain until it was revealed?
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't realise Ego was the villain until it was revealed?
    I was kind of hoping because I'm a big Kurt Russel fan but as soon as Mantis started trying to tell Drax something was up I knew it was happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    According to Russel, they barely used CGI on him for the deaging process. It was mostly make up.

It's like I said, man just does not age normally
    Last edited by Hiromi; 05-07-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    I dont know how the names changed, blame the board.

The comic version is like i said. He an alien from Spartax, they are basically humans, and he is the king of their people. I dont know why they needed to answer the dad question now and in this way.
    Yes, I know that much about his dad. Google, etc. I just haven't read the books to know details, plotlines, etc. So, that's where my connection with it ends. Making his dad a version of Ego/a celestial was campy, and perhaps a risk. As far as answering it now, it was brought up in the first flick. As far as why in this manner, I'm okay with it. It's what Marvel chose to do. Seeing that they had one grand civilization already planned in those gold folks to bring in another great character for Part 3, it would probably crowd things (in a flick already crowded) by bringing in a second civilization in Spartax.

Sure, they could have made Adam Warlock the king of Spartax and Peter's dad. But they chose not to. I'm glad they brought in and wrapped up the dad plotline in one film.

Regarding my screen name changing, I will blame the board at due time. I have no reason to do so now.
    Last edited by hulahulk; 05-07-2017 at 05:58 AM.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just cannont grasp the "Gamora/Nebula are not likeable." criticism.

Thanos raised them, and he was not raising debutantes.

Yeah, I think they are likable enough. Especially now that Nebula is on a mission to kill Thanos. I'm a bit surprised they did not mention Drax's similar mission in this movie, bonding him to Nebula. But him bonding with Mantis instead works and takes him down a different path. Gamora is growing as a character.

One thing that would have been fun to see is Ego expand a bit on his knowledge of the Infinity stones. He merely mentioned being impressed that Peter was able to survive holding one. Oh, well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    One thing that would have been fun to see is Ego expand a bit on his knowledge of the Infinity stones. He merely mentioned being impressed that Peter was able to survive holding one. Oh, well.
    I've had enough of the infinity stones. I can do without them until infinity war.

I liked it.

Ayesha was fun and my personal breakout character of the film. I just love how pretentious yet spiteful she was portrayed.

Mantis was great, I really think she'll add a lot to the team even if they didn't do too great a job of developing her in the movie (she turned on Ego pretty quickly IMO). I loved the scene where she touched Drax and immediately burst into tears while he sat there emotionless.

I've always been a Nebula fan, and I think this film did her justice. I fear that her rage will blind her though and she'll end up being an early casualty in the Infinity War.

I thought the humor was a bit... juvenile... especially considering the pretty horrific and dark things that happen in this movie (like the Ravager begging for his life while the others laugh as he gets sucked out of the ship and freezes to death). Any scene with Yondu bored me to tears, I'm sorry. And I hate that he was such a wretched person in the first film yet this one did a complete 180 suddenly and now he's supposed to be someone revered? I don't think so. Him killing the Ravagers while fun 80's music plays was also incredibly dark for a movie that refers to one of its main characters as a "trash panda."

Back to the jokes... I feel like they were completely unoriginal for the most part and we've heard the majority of these jokes in random sitcoms or dudebro movies over the years.

Also... did Quill have his helmet at the end? Because he could've just used that to escape with Yondu (using the forcefield) and surprise, nobody had to die.

No, his face mask was clearly broken in his fight with Ego and can be seen falling from his ear.
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I've had enough of the infinity stones. I can do without them until infinity war.
    Well, I wasn't thinking of anything major. Just something like, "As ancient and powerful as I am, I'm nothing compared to the combined might..." such and such from Ego. Could have further whetted the appetite for some fans without overdoing it for others. I hear ya, it's a fine line.

I liked how easygoing and straightforward the movie was. The only thing weighing it down for me was there was a bit to much wooshy, weightless CGI all over the place that it was hard to get invested in the action sequences, but it was a film about the characters and since all of the characters were great the movie overcomes that.

Yondu may be my favorite MCU character, and his death at the end of this movie I think just sells his legendary status. Hope we can at least get a flashback with him in Guardians 3 so that he can be a part of each installment in the trilogy.

I'm seeing a lot of criticism that the movie dragged a bit, but I didn't feel this at all. It felt open and breezy to me, which is a welcome change from most comic book movies that seemingly want to pack them to the brims with content. I really enjoyed the entire film as it felt small until it very suddenly didn't. The characters were great and the pace and scope of the film truly made you feel what the characters were feeling. To me, it was probably the most emotional experience, both the highs and the lows of any comic book movie I've seen in a while or possibly ever.

As time goes on, I'm starting to appreciate these small scale movies way more than the movies that are there to bide time until the next Avengers movie. Guardians, Guardians 2 and Ant-Man are probably my three favorite Marvel films at this point and I hope they do more like this once Infinity War is over.

Guardians is projecting a 145 million domestic opening weekend and 425mil world wide

Solid movie. I didn't like it as much as the first but it was still good. Some of the humor felt recycled from the first movie. Repeating things that got laughs before does nothing for me. I have a tough time laughing at the same thing a second time. It wasn't too bad though. Also, I never complain about the humor in these movies but this one had a few too many jokes to me. There were scenes would've been fine except for a goofy line right at the end. It's nitpicking though. No big complaints.

I saw an interview with Kurt Russell last week where he mentioned his character was Ego so I kind of figured he was the villain. It was handled pretty well though. I'm not sure about Stallone being in this film. I can't help but see the actor & not the character.

A fun movie! Good effects & a decent plot. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.