Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Talking BIG NEWS!! Elliot S! Maggin's Miracle Monday Getting Reissued

Veteran Superman writer Elliot S! Maggin made an announcement on his Twitter account that his 1981 Superman novel Miracle Monday is receiving a reissue in print, digital and audio around May 15 along with a new cover illustrated by Ken Penders, best known for his work as writer, artist and creator of several characters during his run on Archie Comics' long running Sonic The Hedgehog title.

https://twitter.com/Maggin/status/85...day-reissue%2F

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/ell...onday-reissue/

Being that Maggin's tenure is my personal favorite run on the character, I am SUPER excited about this.
    Last edited by BBally; 04-27-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

This is the most exciting news I've heard since DC last killed Superman!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Best news I've heard all day. Hopefully they'll also reissue Maggin's last son of krypton too in the future. Definitely a day one buy for me the moment it releases. Thanks for the heads up!
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Best news I've heard all day. Hopefully they'll also reissue Maggin's last son of krypton too in the future. Definitely a day one buy for me the moment it releases. Thanks for the heads up!
    I'm wondering if there might be troubles like that due to the Xerox scene - I know he's said in an interview that that getting through was proof no one was paying attention to the book internally, because if they had the legal department would have nixed it. Hopefully if this sells that'll be reissued too, but I imagine that bit might be edited or cut.

Maggin also said in a subsequent tweet when asked about Luthor's Gift getting reprinted that he's "Planning a release of several short stories under the title An Enemy's Gift late in the year." Given his only Superman short stories were that and Starwinds Howl, is he coming up with new Superman stories? Or is this a reprint of his short fiction in general, in which case will he need to get the rights for the Superman material? Ken Penders meanwhile said the cover should be done "by the end of May", which suggests the release date given might be mistaken.

In any case, this is probably the best thing that's going to happen for Superman this year.
    Buh-bye

Great news. I've never gotten around to Miracle Monday, but I do have a (I think) first print of Last Son. Banged up to hell, but I still love it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Being a Sonic fan, I'm kind of iffy on Penders, as he's pretty much single-handidly responsible for Archie's present woes with the franchise, but I love Elliot's books and how they capture the Silver Age magic while blending it with a, for the time, contemporary feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Being a Sonic fan, I'm kind of iffy on Penders, as he's pretty much single-handidly responsible for Archie's present woes with the franchise, but I love Elliot's books and how they capture the Silver Age magic while blending it with a, for the time, contemporary feel.
    I mean, I don't know much about Penders, but there's no way he can drag down a book as good as Miracle Monday when he's only doing the cover and we already know what it looks like, you know? Anything he may or may not being doing at Archie won't effect a book first published in 1981.

And speaking of the fact that it came out in 1981, I hope the book stays in print this time. All Superman fans should get the chance to read Miracle Monday.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Veteran Superman writer Elliot S! Maggin made an announcement on his Twitter account that his 1981 Superman novel Miracle Monday is receiving a reissue in print, digital and audio around May 15 along with a new cover illustrated by Ken Penders, best known for his work as writer, artist and creator of several characters during his run on Archie Comics' long running Sonic The Hedgehog title.

https://twitter.com/Maggin/status/85...day-reissue%2F

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/ell...onday-reissue/

Being that Maggin's tenure is my personal favorite run on the character, I am SUPER excited about this.
    Scary cover with that hands and.... This is like see Bruce with Jason Todd death again...

However... I see the rest of the people excited..
    Last edited by adrikito; 04-28-2017 at 01:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I mean, I don't know much about Penders, but there's no way he can drag down a book as good as Miracle Monday when he's only doing the cover and we already know what it looks like, you know? Anything he may or may not being doing at Archie won't effect a book first published in 1981
    I know Ken's legal woes with Archie and Sega can't obviously affect this book, I just feel iffy about supporting the reprint given he's involved with the cover, but I'll probably swallow the ol' pride and get it to support Elliot and his vision.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

That is great!

Song of the Earth is one of the most beautiful Superman moments ever.

Incredible Member

Oh myyy yes. Yes yes. And only about two weeks away! The only thing that could make this better would be a reprint of Last Son of Krypton.

EDIT: Do we know how we can order this yet? I'm really hoping Amazon...
    Last edited by titansupes; 04-28-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Retired

Listen: LAST SON OF KRYPTON came out when SUPERMAN (1978) came out. I bought the book, but I was confused because it had Christopher Reeve Superman on the cover and publicity stills from the movie at the middle of the book. Then MIRACLE MONDAY came out when SUPERMAN II came out. Same thing--Reeve on the cover, publicity stills in the middle of the book--yet the story was not about the movie or really the Reeve Superman. Strange--but I figured out that WB didn't have the right to novelize the movies, yet they wanted to put out books that would monopolize on its succcess.

Really, WB somehow managed to tie itself in contractual knots and it was to the detriment of all concerned. Here was the most successful movie of its time and yet WB and DC couldn't find a way to build on that success and promote the comic book Superman to the public at large and to direct sales shops in particular.

Anyway, I was happy to have the Earth-One Superman and Maggin writing these books. An added bonus is that I had already read most of Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s novels and Maggin acknowledges he was heavily influenced by the writer--and you can find that style in the Maggin novels.

However, it will be strange to have MIRCALE MONDAY without the movie pics.

I don't understand why DC/WB aren't re-issuing this book on their own dime. They could do a proper bang up job and give it the kind of presentation it truly deserves. Oh well. So it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Oh myyy yes. Yes yes. And only about two weeks away! The only thing that could make this better would be a reprint of Last Son of Krypton.

EDIT: Do we know how we can order this yet? I'm really hoping Amazon...
    I just checked and it's not on Amazon.

Excellent news. My original copy was torn in half after years of reading and moving.

How the villainous C.W. Saturn never made it from that book to the Superverse comics is still beyond me.

I'd take C.W. Saturn over Doomsday 10 times out of 10. Or Satanus.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I just checked and it's not on Amazon.
    Yeah, I checked last night too. Hopefully we actually get word on how we can order it soon...