Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    - This still gets me, but apparently people outside of the NY/NJ area use the phrase "in line" and not "on line."

For instance, "I waited in line for three hours." For me, I'd say "I waited on line for three hours."

This was pointed out to me by my co-workers who come from other parts of America. Honestly, every time I say "in line" I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language. Time and space just collapse in on themselves!
    You're only on line if you're browsing the web while you're in line.

On a similar note - I've only noticed recently that Americans say "on Christmas" - and I'm still not sure if it means "on Christmas day" or "at Christmas"

The "vendée globe" is kind of a famous boats race. Now, phoenitecally it sounds in French pretty much the same as "vent des globes" and that's exactly what for 30 years i thought the name was until i saw it written in some magazine. I was like, da hell?

In the same vein there is also the infamous "poteau rose" (actually it's "pot aux roses", pink pot, meaning something deceptive) and of course "autant pour moi". (au temps pour moi, er, that one is tough to translate, the meaning is "my fault")

Phonetic traps!!!!
    Last edited by Starter Set; 05-08-2017 at 04:56 AM.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Q Cinema 9
    It's a local movie theater that I saw multiple movies at, and no longer exists.
    Maybe 2016 thinking about it I think of why 9 because of 9 theaters also the Q because it's on Q street.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    You're only on line if you're browsing the web while you're in line.

On a similar note - I've only noticed recently that Americans say "on Christmas" - and I'm still not sure if it means "on Christmas day" or "at Christmas"
    Ha, well, in the NY/NJ area, "on line" doesn't have much to do with computers. It's a phrase that a lot of us take for granted and for me it just conjures the image of a line of people waiting for something. I told an elderly gentleman from the area that other parts of the country say "in line" and he too looked baffled and confused. "Never heard that before!" he said. I've heard that the phrase alledgedly has its roots from Ellis Island, where newly arrived immigrants were told to wait on lines marked on the ground. So, I think I'm keeping alive a piece of history .

But I digress, other epiphanies:

- For the longest time, I never ate cheesecake. I always thought that it was some cake made out of a real cheese, like cheddar or Swiss. Those things are great, but who'd want to eat them for dessert?! Thankfully, I learned that cheesecakes are made out of deliciousness, not cheddar .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

It was some time after hearing that King John lost the Crown Jewels in the Wash that I discovered that the Wash was the name of a bay. Prior to that, I had assumed that he had somehow accidentally sent the jewels out with his laundry (maybe he forgot to check his pockets?).

Mince pies.

Similar to the cheesecake above, I had no idea why anyone would want mincemeat as a dessert... so, for many Christmases, I avoided it at school lunches. I used to check the labels and it would say 'mincemeat'.

Then new labeling regulations came into play (in the UK) and I saw the mince pies had big 'V' signs on them - suitable for vegetarians. The 'mincemeat' was broken down and contained apples and sultanas etc. But there was alcohol (brandy) in the ones in the first box I looked at, so that was a 'no', but the second had no alcohol and

Mercy Me
    Mercy My

Deliciousness

(Of course, back in the day, it did contain meat, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That Greg Ginn's guitar playing on the Black Flag album My War was probably intentional.
    Greg is almost as creative as his brother.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I always thought the first line of I Don't Like Mondays by Boomtown Rats was: The silicone chip in Ciderhead got switched to overload

turns out it is: The silicone chip inside her head got switched to overload.

And the shooting didn't happen in a town called Ciderhead.
    For years, I thought Golden Earing's Radar Love was Red-Eye Love. Damn FM DJs who don't give you the proper info before and after a song!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Here's a very recent dumb epiphany: you know how Gomez Addams always calls Morticia "Tish?" I just realized it's based on the second syllable of her name.

As someone who grew up watching the first televised reruns of the show as a preschooler, I never, ever questioned it until this year. I actually winced when the epiphany came to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Richie Rich, Casper and Little Dot comic books are now really dumb epiphany.
    I highly suspect Little Dot of possessing some strange obsessive compulsive disorder.

To Richie Rich's credit, sometimes he didn't fetishize money. Coins just started pouring out of fountains and whatnot whenever he was around. Maybe he WAS an epiphany!

One of the Hernandez Brothers had a character mistake the song-lyric "Two Faces Have I" for "Do Vases Have Eyes?"

I know I've made some of those myself, but nothing comes to mind right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It took quite a while for me to see that Superman's chest symbol is a stylised S.
    It always looked like a regular "S" to me until I got a Superman coloring book 45 years ago. While I was coloring, I epiphanzed it wasn't a normal "S."

It's amazing what your mind can do to trick you.

That Secret Agent Man was actually not Secret Asian Man.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

In a 1960s issue of PLASTIC MAN, the hero met a Russian villain whose name was written as "Ivan Byturnozov." I mentally read it as "By-turn-o-zov."

Maybe twenty years later, I looked at it again, and realized that this was not the correct pronunciation.