Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    Are the trades still in print?
    I only have the single issues and would love to have some trades on my shelf next to my Final Crisis trade.
    Yeah, I bought the two big 15-issues-a-volume books a couple of months ago. They are also sat next to my Final Crisis trade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Tbh, trades are way too inflexible for this series. Though it makes sense for the shelf/collection aspect.
    Yeah, I read SS in the trades but I imagine it would've been cool to have it in floppies to be able to read the various minis in any order.

Nothing is really stopping you from reading them in any order even if they're collected.
    BB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Nothing is really stopping you from reading them in any order even if they're collected.
    True, but it makes things a bit more awkward when you're flipping back and forth to find the right issues. Especially if you're reading with the four volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Tbh, trades are way too inflexible for this series. Though it makes sense for the shelf/collection aspect.
    Very true.
    My preferred reading order is the publishing order where you're alternating through the titles.

I also prefer to read the Annihilation/Annihilation Conquest titles this way, too.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

You do get more out of it, I think, the more you change up the order you reread in, either each series by itself, all the first issues, then all the second, then al the third, publishing order, prescribed release order, the bookends alone, which mini you put before another, etc.

It's not just the chronological or plot-stuff that goes between the comics, there's also a lot going on in the structure of the four issue series, and even in the patterns of the covers, the headshot issues, and so on. Zatanna manages to be his response/critique to Promethea, but it's also virtually a point by point sequel to the original Zatanna storyline. (I still think Zor is Cary Bates, not Alan Moore, but Zachary Zor was also invented long before either of those men were born.) The Mister Miracle mini seems to be so separate from the others, in some orders, but in other orders, it's the thread holding everything together, it's the drawstring bringing closure.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Yeah it was a pretty amazing series. I actually have a tattoo of Sook's Zatanna from that series.

The Mister Miracle book was fantastic. Grant is one of the few writers who truly gets Kirby's concepts.

And of course it spawned one of DC's coolest characters. Frankenstein!
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-09-2014 at 03:42 PM.

I like the Golden Age Seven Soldiers. I was never a fan of Morrison's series. It had a few good ideas, I'll admit, but I'd rather it had been its own thing and not connected to the SSoV at all.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I like the Golden Age Seven Soldiers. I was never a fan of Morrison's series. It had a few good ideas, I'll admit, but I'd rather it had been its own thing and not connected to the SSoV at all.
    It started out that way, as JL8, an Avengers riff.

But, then Morrison liked the idea of a big event comic that launched a thirty year old comic, as well as new ones, so the whole thing leads up to... the original Seven Soldiers stuff from back in the day. I dunno, I think that's kinda funny, and I wish DC had done more to promote that stuff, than the Black Casebook thing. "Follow Klarion's further adventures in The Demon by Jack Kirby!" "What happened to Aurakles? Find out in Justice League of America 100! Out thirty-four years ago!"
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 07-09-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Very true.
    My preferred reading order is the publishing order where you're alternating through the titles.

I also prefer to read the Annihilation/Annihilation Conquest titles this way, too.
    Isn't that the order the trades put them in?

The Frankenstein story was my favorite.Really beautiful art by Mahnke.

Does anyone know if the boat/spaceship/w'ev on the first page of the zero issue is a match for a previously appearing boat/spaceship/whatever?

Not that it has to. I kind of like that there's just some random sleek thing jutting out of the water, all fins and taillights, next to what seems to be a nice wooden chair.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Isn't that the order the trades put them in?
    I want to say the order changed between the four volumes and the two volume set.

BANNED

Morrison tried too hard to be weird imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Grim View Post
    Can you give an example? Something you think was a) just there to be weird and b) trying too hard at it?

For the sake of establishing a scale.

(Which sounds like I'm winding you up, but I'm not.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Grim View Post
    K, but he didn't. "weird" is a totally subjective word. Try using actual criticism, as that's an empty and meaningless statement.