Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yeah, the closest I can think of for semi-recent stories has been in Aaron's Thor, where that new SHIELD agent Roz is part of the environmental SHIELD department or something. Ive never thought about it, but given the political/social underpinning of the MU, its sort of surprising they haven't dug into this topic more.

I wonder what the rights to Captain Planet are like right now? I'd laugh my ass off to see Marvel try to update and incorporate that character into the 616.

Oh! Maybe Zen the Intergalactic Ninja! He was an environmental character too right? Never saw the cartoon but I did have an old Game Boy game and he was always fighting smog monsters and stuff.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

DC have Aquaman and swamp thing but marvel doesn't really seem to have anyone?

Can anyone think of a few?

I wonder what the rights to Captain Planet are like right now? I'd laugh my ass off to see Marvel try to update and incorporate that character into the 616.

Don't forget--

Also--

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    DC have Aquaman and swamp thing but marvel doesn't really seem to have anyone?

Can anyone think of a few?
    Namor and Man-Thing are incredibly similar to Aquaman and Swamp Thing.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Oh, and then there is this lesser known character named Storm that is basically all about the environment....
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Brute Force has potential. Marvel just needs to call Grant Morrison.

Marvel: Hello, Grant?

Grant Morrison: Yes?

Marvel: We love what you did with We3, you took the concept of animals wearing power suits and really made it work.

Grant Morrison: Thanks

Marvel: Speaking of which we have some animals in power suits..

Comics in general mostly use environmentalists as villains, albeit villains who have a point. Namor, for example, was often as villain who attacked the surface because some individual polluted the ocean. I think it's hard to use environmentalists as heroes because the issues is usually too big or too small. It's too big when it's the side-effect of some corporation mainly staffed by innocent people. And too small when it's one person being a litterbug. Captain Planet, notably, created a very artificial situation with pollution-villains. Such villains feel out of place anywhere but children's comics.

It’s interesting that now the x-men have krakoa they’re almost like the environmental heroes

The Knights of Pendragon was an environmental team, the comic was even printed on environmentally friendly paper using half the trees and minimum whitening bleach

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

The Hulk is going to be one in the current story arc
    Baby Thanos

Iron Man has often been extremely concerned with the environment. I think he's probably one of the few heroes who can be, because of the level he operates at.

Not so much an environmental power set but Husk left Generation X at the end of the series, her plan was to work in environmental conservation. She tried to get the others on board but wasn’t able to as they decided to go their own ways. Presumably this is what she did before joining X-Corp, so Paige is at least considered environmentally conscious.
    Attached Images Attached Images

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Occasionally Thor as son of Gaia/Jord is represented as an environmental hero, but it isn't his standard mode. Of course protecting his mother is a natural inclination.

Exploitation of natural resources is a theme of Aaron's God of Thunder in the later part of the run and the following volumes.
    Yeah Roxxon, is the Marvel version of oil companies. Last Days of Midgard really goes into it.

Scott Lang has had some environmental issues throughout his career. he himself isn't an environmentalist. but he has to be conscious about it because of the surrounding community. i imagine that a lot of that was Spencer's writing. he did create the last Plant Man as a somewhat ineffectual supervillain.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    Namor and Man-Thing are incredibly similar to Aquaman and Swamp Thing.
    You mean, Aquaman is like Namor.

From 1970, Sub-Mariner #28.

https://trinklied.tumblr.com/post/18...nch-of-student

An awesome short story from the late 80s, and some of Jim Lee's first work, was a Namor story in Marvel Comics Presents #33 called Dying in Paradise.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...ollution-1989/

Then there was the 90s John Byrne series which started out as Namor fighting pollution as a businessman.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?