Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Marvel doesn't really seem to do environmental superheroes

DC have Aquaman and swamp thing but marvel doesn't really seem to have anyone?

Can anyone think of a few?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    DC have Aquaman and swamp thing but marvel doesn't really seem to have anyone?

Can anyone think of a few?
    Namor for one. Ka-Zar & Shanna also.

Occasionally Thor as son of Gaia/Jord is represented as an environmental hero, but it isn't his standard mode. Of course protecting his mother is a natural inclination.

Exploitation of natural resources is a theme of Aaron's God of Thunder in the later part of the run and the following volumes.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-28-2017 at 04:12 AM.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

It depends what you mean by 'Environmental'. As others have mentioned Namor is a good call (And certainly as good a call as Aquaman). Ka-zar to a degree (although he doesn't leave the Savage Land very often).

But if you mean 'Do they have the equivalent of Captain Planet'? Thankfully, no.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Ultimate Thor during Millar's era Ultimate Universe certainly qualifies as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    Ultimate Thor during Millar's era Ultimate Universe certainly qualifies as one.
    I have heard this but yet to really dig into the Ultimate stuff. Care to tell us more info on that? Use spoiler tags if you like I don't mind being spoilt on the 1610.

Marvel's not really pushed environmentalism in their comics as hard as John Byrne's Namor had. If they were to pursue it, that would be the character to do it with imo. Wouldn't mind seeing Oracle Inc back in business.

Always thought it made sense Storm would be involved in environmentalism somehow, but she hasn't. Thor too, but I guess they did touch on it with Ultimate Thor a bit by making him a hippie.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 04-28-2017 at 05:55 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    Namor for one.
    His cousin Namorita too.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I have heard this but yet to really dig into the Ultimate stuff. Care to tell us more info on that? Use spoiler tags if you like I don't mind being spoilt on the 1610.
    He was this semi-new agey guy who was a political activist with many followers. I can't remember the details but there was one story where he refused to help the Ultimates until they donated money to one of his personal causes.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Marvel's not really pushed environmentalism in their comics as hard as John Byrne's Namor had. If they were to pursue it, that would be the character to do it with imo. Wouldn't mind seeing Oracle Inc back in business.

Always thought it made sense Storm would be involved in environmentalism somehow, but she hasn't. Thor too, but I guess they did touch on it with Ultimate Thor a bit by making him a hippie.

Storm's a good idea. That would be a relatively logical avenue to pursue, away from the X-Men. She definitely had a very bold love of nature in her earlier appearances. Not just the elements.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    Storm's a good idea. That would be a relatively logical avenue to pursue, away from the X-Men. She definitely had a very bold love of nature in her earlier appearances. Not just the elements.
    I do remember one old "Marvel Comics Presents" story where she is hit by acid rain, and then later teams up with Dr. Doom to take out some polluting factories in Latveria. (Doom was deposed at the time.) I liked it as a kid, might come off as cheesy now that I'm an adult.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Man-Thing is about the closest to what I think the OP is talking about.

If he's talking characters bound to the environment, that is.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    He was this semi-new agey guy who was a political activist with many followers. I can't remember the details but there was one story where he refused to help the Ultimates until they donated money to one of his personal causes.
    that was the culmination to arc 1 of The Ultimates (collected as Vol. 1 Super Human), wherein Thor refused to help the Ultimates to take down the Hulk during his rampage through Manhatten unless the US government increase the aid budget. They did. He duly showed up and lit Hulk up with lightning, smacked him with his hammer and Hulk turned back to Banner, who got kicked in the head by Captain America to knock him out.
    I surrender to the Contest

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Mantis has been connected to plants as well.

Marvel tends to do environmental stories, rather than characters.

The Inhumans, for example, once upon a time couldn't breath Earth air because of how polluted it was--then Crystal purified the air, which then created a giant pollutant monster.