Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Comic Cancellations and Bi-Weekly or Monthly Series?

Hey Guys,

Hoping you could answer two quick questions for me? (Don't answer that one, it's not one of the two! Lol!!)

First, I picked up the latest issue of World of Wakanda (think it was #6-the one with Kevin Cole, Kaspar, in it), and it seemed like it was the end, and isn't in the May Solicitations at all. Is it and Power Man & Iron Fist both finished?

Second, I've been doing some research on what comics are bi-weekly and which are monthly. However some comics seem to change their mind on a month to month basis.

Here are the examples I've noticed:
    Captain America: Steve Rogers is shipped twice in April, but once in May-Although with Secret Empire ongoing, this could provide the reason in this case.
    Royals ships twice in April, once in May.
    Same with Weapon X
    Poe Dameron ships once in April, twice in May.

I'm a few years into my time reading comics now, even though I started so late, but I'm new to looking so closely into what ships when because I'm older and can't afford what I used to! There's probably a simple answer you guys all know that I don't, but I'd appreciate anybody filling me in on what's going on.

Thanks guys.

Yes, World of Wakanda is finished, and Power Man and Iron Fist has been replaced by a Luke Cage by the same writer, with Danny off in his own book too.

The following Marvel books are twice monthly: X-Men Gold, X-Men Blue, All-New Guardians of the Galaxy.

There's a lot of books that release 18 issues a year, which explains those shipping schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's a lot of books that release 18 issues a year, which explains those shipping schedules.
    This pretty much. Personally, I find the random double shipping to be frustrating. Messes up the budget. I adjusted my Marvel pull list and started counting the titles that randomly double ship as two books.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Maybe Legacy will change that. DC got it right, having the core books fortnightly and the more experimental and less popular ones monthly.

Marvel likes to occasionally decide to double ship for like a month or so, before going back to their monthly schedule.
    So like for example, Unbelievable Gwenpool goes monthly normally, but in February and May it double shipped.
    Or with Captain America: Steve Rogers, last year it went monthly, but from January to April it double shipped, before going back to 1 in May. (Sam Wilson also double shipped in January). Amazing Spider-Man also double shipped for a while before going back to monthly, and Deadpool if it wants to be bi-weekly or not.

I say it's something you just have to pay attention and see if any books decide to double ship that month, or what remains consistent.

Can anybody help and point me to a resource that tells me what comics are getting cancelled please?

Is Rocket, starting in May, replacing Rocket Raccoon?
    Last edited by AJW009; 04-30-2017 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJW009 View Post
    Can anybody help and point me to a resource that tells me what comics are getting cancelled please?

It is replacing indeed and this forum is the best place to know what is cancelled tbh.

Marvel are particularly cagey about cancellations. Sometimes books just skip a month and we only know they are not cancelled because the last book will come out and have a 'next issue' page. They are not very helpful when it comes to being organised with your orders.

Anyone following Spider Woman will tell you it looked like that book got cancelled at least twice before it finally was.

They also like to not bother telling you a book is a limited series. Apparently it reduces sales (also cancelled books can drop off if everyone knows). And sometimes they plan a book to be limited (in secret) then extend it. For example Moon Knight a couple of years ago seems very likely to have been limited but also sold quite well, so it doubled in size on the quiet while changing creative teams.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-30-2017 at 03:46 AM.

So do you think I should rely on really helpful solicit guides from cbr and ign (who are good at showing what's limited and what's not-or at least informing us if it's changed), and if I see a comic not on the solicit, assume it's cancelled quietly, but keep an eye out for the rare occasions it's not?

Also, I've read all of the Star Wars a Mini-Series, such as Han Solo, Lando, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan & Anakin, Shattered Empire (the only 4-issue, the rest are 5), and the current one, Darth Maul, which ends in June. Is the next one in this "series" the Captain Phasma 4-issue starting in September? Even though it's 4-issues, and has a longer gap between these mini-series?
    Last edited by AJW009; 04-30-2017 at 04:16 AM.

So do you think I should rely on really helpful solicit guides from cbr and ign (who are good at showing what's limited and what's not-or at least informing us if it's changed), and if I see a comic not on the solicit, assume it's cancelled quietly, but keep an eye out for the rare occasions it's not?

Also, I've read all of the Star Wars a Mini-Series, such as Han Solo, Lando, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan & Anakin, Shattered Empire (the only 4-issue, the rest are 5), and the current one, Darth Maul, which ends in June. Is the next one in this "series" the Captain Phasma 4-issue starting in September? Even though it's 4-issues, and has a longer gap between these mini-series?
    I would expect them to do a normal 5 issue mini-series along side the Phasma one, since the Phasma one seems more like that Shattered Empire one from before Force Awakens released.

Generally the best way to figure it out I find is along with the solicits is to check the sales(like here), it's not always the case(like with books that sell well outside of the actual comic shop like Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl) but generally if a book hits around 20k there is a good chance it will wrap up soon. After a couple months it should be a bit easier to have a sense of what books seem like minis, or won't stick around long at least do to low sales.

I've been following along, so this is the list I created (and posted in another forum post) of all the non-mini-series that have ended/been cancelled or rebranded this year so far

Ended/Cancelled:
    Carnage (16)
    Squadron Supreme (15)
    Karnak (6)
    Scarlet Witch (15)
    Solo (5)
    Black Widow (12)
    Foolkiller (5)
    Prowler (6)
    Spider-Woman (17)
    Black Panther: World Of Wakanda (6)
    Deadpool & The Mercs For Money (10)
    Ghost Rider (5 + 1s)
    Great Lakes Avengers (7)
    Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat (17)
    Silk (19)
    Star-Lord (6 + 1a)
    Thunderbolts (12)
    Gamora (5)
    Moon Knight (14)
    Mosaic (8)
    Slapstick (6)
    Elektra (5)
    Kingpin (5)
    Nova (7)
    Spider-Man 2099 (25)

Rebranded:
    All-New X-Men (19 + 1a + 1s) -> X-Men Blue
    Extraordinary X-Men (20 + 1a) -> X-Men Gold
    Uncanny Inhumans (20 + 1a + 2s + 1f) -> Royals
    Uncanny X-Men (19 + 1a) -> X-Men Blue
    Guardians Of The Galaxy (19 + 1s) -> All-New Guardians Of The Galaxy
    Power Man And Iron Fist (15 + 1a) -> Luke Cage
    Rocket Raccoon (5) -> Rocket
    Venom (6) -> Venom

Thanks for all the help guys, it's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe Legacy will change that. DC got it right, having the core books fortnightly and the more experimental and less popular ones monthly.
    No, they didn't. No books should ship twice a month. Some may start fine, but way more often than not they devolve into massively decompressed and poorly thought out generic stories and a shit show of wildly inconsistent art and artists.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    No, they didn't. No books should ship twice a month. Some may start fine, but way more often than not they devolve into massively decompressed and poorly thought out generic stories and a shit show of wildly inconsistent art and artists.
    I'm don't read DC but I got the impression that people were quite enjoying the double shipped books. The only book I've heard complaints about art wise has been Green Arrow, and I think it's just because the art style between the artists on that book a very disparate. It really sounds like DC doing just fine with this new shipping schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    Have you even read any DC Rebirth? If not, you're in no position to argue. Like Slime said, popular consensus is that they're good. Of course you're entitled to your opinion... but only if you know what you're talking about, but it sounds to me like you're just making assumptions.