Default What is a "grunge" film?

This CBR article says 2007's Grindhouse "was Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's love letter to grunge cinema." However, when I research the term, all I find is 90s movies about the Seattle music scene, not 60s and 70s and exploitation films.

Is "grunge film" an actual term or did a CBR writer get basic cinema terminology wrong?

Grindhouse is a tribute to grindhouse cinema. It's right there in the name. I don't know where they got Grunge from.

Invincible Member

Yeah, the writer just got their terms mixed up. Maybe they meant to say "grungy" as an adjective and in editing it got "corrected" as Grunge.

They also say that Grindhouse brought Danny mainstream success, but he'd been in movies for 10 yrs before then. Some pretty popular like Heat, Desperado, and Con-Air etc

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

When I first read the title I was thinking of the music as I never heard Grindhouse films referred to this way. I was like, Pearl Jam had a film? Probably just a simple mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    When I first read the title I was thinking of the music as I never heard Grindhouse films referred to this way. I was like, Pearl Jam had a film? Probably just a simple mistake.
    I feel bad for the writer that an editor didn’t catch this prepublication