Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default With everyone wanting a shared universe, what are some "true" shared universes

Because of Marvel and DC's success, everyone wants a shared universe now, Sony tried and failed to launch a Ghostbusters shared universe, and Universal is gonna give it a try with a Universal Monsterverse starting with the Mummy, but these would both be grafted after the fact, what are some true shared universes that Hollywood could adapt.

Valiant is a given and supposedly in development, most of the shared universes I can think of come from the world of gaming, the various Dungeons and Dragons settings (Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Ebberron, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Dark Sun) Warhammer 40K, Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar, White Wolf's World of Darkness (Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse), I'd probably consider HP Lovecrafts Cthulhu Mythos a shared universe at this point due to all the games, movies,novels etc. etc. that have used it.

Any other Shared universes that I haven't listed.

Agatha Christie's various detectives inhabit the same universe.

John le Carre's spy novels are set in the same universe.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld books have a variety of protagonists but are all set on Discworld.

Robin Hobb's various fantasy novel series are set on the same world.

Iain M Banks' Culture novels rarely feature the same protagonist twice but are set in the Culture universe.

On television, the various Law and Order series are in the same universe as all of NBC's Chicago ___ series, the Homicide series, and are possibly in the same world as the Wire, Luther, and even Arrested Development and the X-Files. (Most of these because Detective John Munch is a cameo whore)
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

How many Stephen King books are set in the same universe again?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Lovecraft's Mythos was a shared universe even during his own lifetime. I'd love to see an anthology TV series adapting his stories, those of the other "Lovecraft Circle" members, and mythos stories by modern authors... but anthology shows are a tough sell these days, and they'd almost certainly screw it up and just turn it into run-of-the-mill horror stories. The effectiveness of a Mythos story rests more on what you DON'T see than what you do, and that's an almost impossible concept to get past studios (or most viewers, for that matter).

A Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms series would be awesome, if you could get the budget and the talent.

I'm not sure if Neil Gaiman's creator-owned stories are all supposed to be in the same continuity... at least the ones that deal with his favorite theme of gods and other powerful beings of legend living among us.

Bill Willingham's Fables universe includes Fables and its various spinoffs... Jack of Fables, Cinderella, Fairest... are all in the same continuity, and once again you could get a great TV series out of that provided it was on a premium cable channel with no censorship.

Going back to 70's TV... Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy and Joanie Loves Chachi were all in continuity, as were The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Phyllis, Rhoda, and Lou Grant.

More recently, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Xena: Warrior Princess, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Young Hercules.

Fantasy shared universes were a trend in 1980's literature for a while, with Thieves' World being the best known example.

And of course there's the "Whoniverse" of Doctor Who, which includes the old and new series and associated media, along with Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures, K-9 and Company, and Class.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    How many Stephen King books are set in the same universe again?
    I guess you'd say they are all in the same multiverse or something according to Dark Tower.

You mentioned a new Universal Monsters shared Universe. Well, the old one was already a shared Universe, with Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman meeting several times.

They also met Abbot and Costello.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    On television, the various Law and Order series are in the same universe as all of NBC's Chicago ___ series, the Homicide series, and are possibly in the same world as the Wire, Luther, and even Arrested Development and the X-Files. (Most of these because Detective John Munch is a cameo whore)
    Google "Tommy Westphall Universe". This is only the tip of the iceberg.

On Disney channel, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Hanna Montana, That's So Raven and The Wizards of Waverly Place were all set in the same universe.

I'm a big fan of the Aliens and Predators shared universe.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

id like to see a capcom shared movie universe.

BANNED

X-Files & Millennium. Bring back Millennium pls

BANNED

I really wonder what a "false" shared universe is., because "grafted after the fact", that is exactly what the DCU is.

Some more recent crime dramas I think as well. NCIS, along with the other NCIS stuff is also in the same universe as JAG (Which it spun off from) and the new Hawaii 5-0.

I'm pretty sure CSI crossed over with Without a Trace at some point too.

Video game wise, there's a bit of crossover between Hideo Kojima's non-Metal Gear work. Policenaughts, Zone of the Enders and Snatcher all reference Metal Gear or vice versa, and one character-Meryl-even appears in both PN and MGS. However, there's a few contradictions and continuity issues between them, so maybe it's just "easter eggs".

For a bit of fun, it's possible E.T and Star Wars exist in the same universe, as E.T recognizes a Yoda costume in the film and we see E.Ts in the senate in TPM. Of course it's just a two-way nod but a lot of fans have ran with it...(Including wondering if E.T's telekinetic/telepathic skills are somehow linked to the force).

Regarding the Whoniverse, a crossover with Blake's seven was considered at some point, and there's even a few books and audios that try to establish a connection.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-01-2017 at 06:24 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I actually found out when Fuller House season 1 came out that a lot of the 90's TGIF shows take place in the same universe if that makes sense lol. Like Family Matter and Full House exist in the same universe as Steve Urkel makes an appearance on an episode of Full House. There are also a couple of other crossovers like that from the 90's TGIF shows.