Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amazing Member

I can't stand this series why must we continually see writers use same concepts from Claremont's ideas. While I appreciate and love Claremont's era it's time to see some fresh new ideas and new concepts to these characters. I want to see some progress and character growth. I'd like to see No more Phoenix force, past couples need to move on to new ones, The New Mutants becoming full fledged X-Men in different books, some characters getting pregnant and having children/retiring. Dealing with health issues like Cancer. Some everyday things people can relate to. Sometimes I wish I was working at marvel plotting ideas for the X-men books, because I have so many ideas for good stories in my head...lol. I guess we all think we can do better jobs than the current writers marvel chooses to use
    Last edited by Leo; 04-29-2017 at 09:42 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    It's just a way to divert people's attention away from the uninspired writing.
    Someone give this person a medal.

BANNED

After reading that this isn't about the X-Men and the nostalgia.......this is about Kitty Pryde.
    You know Guggenheim your one sneaky son of a B this isn't X-Men Gold this "Kitty Pryde of the X-Men" excuse me her X-Men. I'll give him props on the plot, but the writing of some characters he is not good at.

It has a Claremont flair to it, which is great for us oldtimers.
    The catch is that I felt like I have already read it a million times, but in a better way and not in two minutes.
    Not overwhelmed at the moment.

Maybe some of us have just been reading too long. We've seen everything before. Considering every issue could be someone's first, that's a tough balancing act on Marvel's part. Make it familiar yet different...classic yet new. Swing too far in either direction and you alienate someone, old readers or newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Maybe some of us have just been reading too long. We've seen everything before. Considering every issue could be someone's first, that's a tough balancing act on Marvel's part. Make it familiar yet different...classic yet new. Swing too far in either direction and you alienate someone, old readers or newer ones.

In a way I agree with you, but a new reader would be totally lost. Who are these people, who are the evil ones? Adamantium? What?
    Back then you got your info in the comics, nowadays you need to check the net for it.

Extraordinary Member

What made the Claremont era what it was is that it didn't look back to earlier eras the way most superhero comics were already doing. If an X-Men comic is looking back to the old Claremont stuff then it's not really recapturing what made the Claremont stuff so popular (this applies, of course, to most of Claremont's own stuff since his first run).

I don't expect writers and editors to have that kind of freedom again; that was the product of a specific time and a much smaller X-Men line. But I think it's part of the explanation for why "back to basics" X-Men runs often feel kind of hollow. The basics of the X-Men in the '80s was not to have basics, or at least fewer of them than other super teams.

I do think one thing the Whedon run was smart about was not bringing back too many old X-Men tropes all at once. The costumes were back but it wasn't throwing familiar villains at us right away or some of the other things mentioned in that article. Sometimes when a run starts with too many old favorites it can feel kind of sweaty and eager to please, and I think even new readers can sense that.

Minus the creativity and impact, maybe.

Even then...

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    What made the Claremont era what it was is that it didn't look back to earlier eras the way most superhero comics were already doing. If an X-Men comic is looking back to the old Claremont stuff then it's not really recapturing what made the Claremont stuff so popular (this applies, of course, to most of Claremont's own stuff since his first run).

I don't expect writers and editors to have that kind of freedom again; that was the product of a specific time and a much smaller X-Men line. But I think it's part of the explanation for why "back to basics" X-Men runs often feel kind of hollow. The basics of the X-Men in the '80s was not to have basics, or at least fewer of them than other super teams.

I do think one thing the Whedon run was smart about was not bringing back too many old X-Men tropes all at once. The costumes were back but it wasn't throwing familiar villains at us right away or some of the other things mentioned in that article. Sometimes when a run starts with too many old favorites it can feel kind of sweaty and eager to please, and I think even new readers can sense that.
    IMHO, Whedon's run on Astonishing was the last run on the team that felt like the X-Men to me. It balanced familiarity with freshness pretty well and brought us a few new concepts and characters that have since stuck around. It also had the characters acting like you would expect them to. For the most part.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    The first issue was controversial.
    I'm talking about the writing.

BANNED

Probably going to end up dropping this.

Kinda sad about that, too.