View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Marvel Superman analog?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue Marvel

49 29.52%
  • Sentry

23 13.86%
  • Hyperion

48 28.92%
  • Gladiator

45 27.11%
  • Virtue (Ethan Edwards)

1 0.60%
  • Superbman

0 0%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Blue Marvel is my favorite.
    I find it funny that everyone thinks that Blue Marvel is a Superman analog, but no one thinks that Anti-Man is. Same powers. One is just more stable, mentally and otherwise, than the other.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I have a soft spot for Hickman's Hyperion, he was more like Mon-El than superman, but I really loved the friendship between him and Thor. He was a really fun character to read about. Plus, cool costume too.

My vote is for Hyperion from the Marvel Max Supreme Power book. I loved that series on Earth-31916 (away from the mainstream marvel universe).

Extraordinary Member

Here is another video.
    Who is Marvel's Superman?

Extraordinary Member

What do you guys think by the way when OP characters who are superman like are thrown or push by highly trained near peak humans(silver sable) or peak humans(batman)?
    In other words humans with no superpowers.

There seem to be alot of complaints when it happen to blue marvel in one of the doctor doom issues when silver sable did it but there was no video or major outrage made on youtube or certain forums when it happens to other OP characters.

So clearly blue marvel getting body slam by silver sable has nothing to do with race(i saw some folks trying to make it such) since it has happen to other OP characters who are not black but some are trying to make it about race.

There are folks calling it sjw if a woman with no superpowers does it to a OP man of any color by the way.
    I think there is to many sensitive OR overly sensitive folks around.

There is another complaint i saw recently saying that non OP power characters like black panther kicking sentry and sentry looked hurt should not have happen.
    It happen in a issue of agents of wakanda.

Note-sometimes black panther is OP but he was not OP when he kicked the sentry.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-15-2020 at 06:09 AM.

Fantastic Member

It'll always be Sentry for me. The Jenkins mini got me into Marvel comics outside of Punisher MAX.

That said, the diminishing returns and uncertainty of how to develop the character sort of have me wishing he was a one-and-done character.

Also always have soft spots for Blue Marvel and Supreme Power Hyperion.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    What do you guys think by the way when OP characters who are superman like are thrown or push by highly trained peak normal humans or peak humans or humans with no superpowers?

There seem to be alot of complaints when it happen to blue marvel in one of the doctor doom issues when silver sable did it but there was no video or major outrage made on youtube or certain forums when it happens other op characters.

So clearly blue marvel getting body slam by silver sable has nothing to do with race(i saw some folks trying to make it such) since it has happen to other OP characters who are not black but some are trying to make it about race.

There are folks calling it sjw if a woman with no superpowers does it to a OP man of any color by the way.
    I think there is to many sensitive folks around.

There is another complaint i saw recently saying that non OP power characters like black panther kicking sentry and sentry looked hurt should not have happen.
    It happen in a issue of agents of wakanda.

Note-sometimes black panther is OP but he was not op when he kicked the sentry.
    It's true that everything shouldn't be about race, but its naive and sometimes dangerous to think that racism doesn't go into decisions being made. Even in the comicbook world. Yes there are definitely some underlying race issues that we don't see Blue Marvel included, in a thoughtful manner in current plots. A good writer can do some very cool things with Adam. Btw Hickman's Hyperion and Blue Marvel are tied as the best of this ilk.

Extraordinary Member

I think with superman type characters in marvel they have not been used that much in the past anyway before the 1990's.

Sentry was being push like crazy however in the 2000's but look at what happen in 2010's.
    Killed and brought back and hardy use at all.
    Hickmen's hyperion has disappeared.
    Now superman like characters in marvel have been used more so in the 2010's then 2000's and they have been used more so in the 2000's then the 1990's or earlier.
    So they are being use more often even these days but not like spiderman characters or hulk and ironman like ones on average.

By the way don't get me started about blue marvel vs doctor doom.
    At least that is more believable and at least he being shown more often now in a story.
    Doctor doom's power level these days are close to a superman type level being anyway like gladiator,hyperion,superman etc..
    Doctor doom has defeated hulk and sentry as well and since then he has gotten more powerful.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-15-2020 at 05:28 AM.

By the way don't get me started about blue marvel vs doctor doom.
    At least that is more believable and at least he being shown more often now in a story.
    Has Blue Marvel actually done anything in the Doom series? Let's see...

*Gets request from Reed to go after Doom.

*Gets shackled to HERBIE.

*Flies around. More talking to HERBIE.

*Finally, finds Doom in Morgan Le Fey's apartment.

*Gets blasted out of said apartment the minute Doom opens his eyes.

*Inexplicably disappears without any follow up.

*Reappears later. More talking to HERBIE. More flying around.

*Manages to locate Doom once again. A surprise encounter supposedly, but Adam doesn't appear to control the situation at all. This is not the intelligent, prepared Adam that anyone is accustomed to reading.

*Gets body slammed by Silver Sable.

*Watches HERBIE get destroyed by Kang.

*Screams; gets mad. Again, not typical Adam. He's not going to cry over a damn droid. Star Wars this is not.

*Kills Kang. Newsflash: Blue Marvel is sworn never to kill. No, not even a chronal alternate future conquering bad guy. And he definitely wouldn't get all up in his feelings and take a human life over a damn robot!!!!

*Gets blindsided by one of Doom's loyalists. One perfect form body-shot tackle is all it takes to eliminate Superman from the chessboard, I guess.

I stopped reading the series at this point, but feel free to tell me if Adam has actually done something in the Doom series recently worth noting.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 04-14-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Sentry was being push like crazy however in the 2000's but look at what happen in 2010's.
    Killed and brought back and hardy use at all.
    True, but the Sentry just had two very recent series, including one that ended just a couple of months ago. He has a decent following, or someone at Marvel really likes him.

~James Baldwin

I was reading the thread and got some laughts at Golden Guardian of Good with his defense of "Sentry is so not a Superman analog". I have seen conspiracy theorists least obsessed.

But his passion made wonder: What defines exactly a Supeman analog?

Let's start with the obvious: Superman is the quintessential superhero, visually and conceptually, the archetype from which all the genre is derivated and for the colective perception when you want to describe a superhero you will have a big guy with cape and his trunks over his pants. Or a mask. But you see the archetype and think "superhero".

Other heros than came after had variations, but the archetype was still there. You change origins, backgrounds, motivations, narratives, genre, race, body tipe, age, you change the suit, the colors, they changed and you have different characters, totally opposed even. Still superheroes, but characters with their own mythologies and developments.

So a Superman analog is a character who is the most close to the archetype superhero, who can even reference to Superman in some aspect or other. And the many Supermen of Marvel exploit different aspects of the Superman Mythos:

1. Hyperion is Superman as member of the Justice League, exploring his relationship with other heroes.

2. Gladiator is Superman/Superboy as member of the Legion of Superheroes, in a space opera background.

3. Virtue (Ethan Edwards) was an exploration as the "strange Visitor" alien Superman, even more alien.

4. Superbman was the parody.

5. Blue Marvel... Sorry, I have not read enough about Blue Marvel to have a precise idea about him beyond the initial concept of "Black Superman in the 50s/60s". Maybe the supergenius Superman of the Silver age? Somebody please a little help here.

6. And Sentry (Who IS a Superman analog, sorry GGoG) who apart of being a revisitation of past eras and who started as an inital pitch as a superhero addicted to his superpowers and evolved to a Superman analog (as Rick Veitch says:" Paul was going to get to do his “What if SUPERMAN was real?”" , is the surreal Superman, with many of the silver age tropes playing for the absurd (the double identity is his enemy, the fortress, the over the top powers, what he remembers and what not is almost a play on the imaginary stories concepts from the DC from the 50s/60s).

With each character follow its own path to became another character and at every step different from his inspiration. As valid as the original. Better? Worse? Neither. "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes". Enjoy which you liked the more.

Personally, of the Marvel Supermen, I think as I said each one offers differents alternatives to storytelling and interaction with the Marvel characters. If I must choose one to vote, I would like one who isn't on the villian route, which is most the time the path choosen in Marvel. That is the easy way. And for villian Superman there are a lot of stories, including Injustice. However, neither of them is candidate for a long term appearance or for ongoing series. Mini-series, guest appearances, some specific saga, yes. But not long term use.

My pick? Sentry gives more options for stories, specially if you play with the possibility if such stories are in continuity or just in his mind. And I confess than I enjoy seeing the Sentry suffering, but I don't know if he still have a place in the Marvel Universe. As for a proper SUperman analog, Hyperion is my option. But I wouldn't give him a ongoing.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I find it funny that everyone thinks that Blue Marvel is a Superman analog, but no one thinks that Anti-Man is. Same powers. One is just more stable, mentally and otherwise, than the other.
    Anti-man is Marvel's Bizarro.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If you want a good Hyperion story were he just goes totally evil check out this story in Exiles 38-40.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

King Hyperion returned to the Exiles book in the Timebreakers story (issues 62-65)where he fought the original Squadron Supreme version .

Extraordinary Member

Has Blue Marvel actually done anything in the Doom series? Let's see...
    I just read somewhere that kamala khan beat thor with her fist.
    Of course as we know different writers have different takes on different characters or may change how the character.. is etc..
    Just take alook at unworthy thor complaints.
    To many he was written worse then anything in marvel.
    Just look at the recent star trek picard show or luke in the recent star wars movies and fans complaining about how this is not star trek or that is not their luke or star wars or they know or how this character is suppose be or act etc..
    You either agree with it or not and those will like it just fine enough or not.

Trust me if blue marvel defeated doctor doom in his own book right away then you will have the doctor doom fans complaining about it in the doctor doom thread.
    I guess the ones who is really liking what is going on so far are hardcore doctor doom fans but if the writer pulls a big surprise on us and have blue marvel kick doom's butt later on in the story,then you will get the hate talk for blue marvel.

Just look at what happen with hyperion and namor.
    Hyperion kills namor and now all you have is constant hate talk about Hyperion and the rest of the squadron supreme from hardcore or certain hardcore namor fans.

Writers or certain writers for certain stories will never please everyone.
    What is that saying or how it goes?
    I guess you can't please everyone.

If a character is around long enough something is bound to happen anyway that certain fans will not agree with and others will agree and others are more in middle or just want to read a good story.
    Things like this happens all the time with all characters but now it gets overblown in the age of the internet.
    The rage or anger is more intense these days because of the internet and it was never like this before.

There were complaints i have seen in the past about characters that are even more known,equally known or less known then blue marvel that were guests stars in books and get jobbed or hardly did anything or both etc...
    The outrage was not as intense like it is now when a favorite character is in that position.

It happens to everyone,so that's why you don't see me getting so upset about it.
    Hopefully it's corrected or a new writer comes along and do a better job or different job.

That's all you could do is cross your fingers because if a writer/s wants to tell a certain story(the current stars wars trilogy for example)they are going to tell it and there is nothing anyone could do about it,so it's best to suck it up and move on.

By the way i always thought that blue marvel killing kang was a accident.

Blue marvel is still basically written like blue marvel in the doom book, but anyway i do think blue marvel does need or should do more in the doctor doom book but he has done somethings.
    I guess we will have to wait and see until it's over to make a more proper judgement.
    I plan to do that,but that's me.

Here is quick updated bio on him in the doom book.
    Doctor Doom
    Following the explosion of the Antlion Space Station caused by terrorists disguised as Latverians, creating a Black Hole, Blue Marvel was asked to recapture a recently escaped Doctor Doom. He, along with H.E.R.B.I.E., were able locate Doom at Morgan le Fay's apartment, however, after Doom was shot by Taskmaster. Le Fay tried to convince Blue Marvel that Doom was innocent this time, but upon his revival, Doom blasted Marvel unconscious. After relocating Doom at the house of Fruzsina Markovich, he battled Silver Sable, Victorious and Kang who were there to aid Doom in reclaiming his throne. Blue Marvel tried to capture Doom, however, Doom was able to escape him once again. He and Reed Richards were then able to contact Doom and help in how to fix the problem with the Black Hole, with Doom convincing them that Marvel's powers were more than enough to fix the problem.

This is from before.
    Reforming the the Three Xs
    When Jimmy Woo began investigating a man who had been wearing the Eternity Mask and posing as the Masked Raider, he reformed the Three Xs with Blue Marvel and Night Thrasher, in order to help with the investigation.They also helped several heroes with the mystrious murder of an unknown man.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-15-2020 at 08:18 AM.