View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Marvel Superman analog?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue Marvel

49 29.52%
  • Sentry

23 13.86%
  • Hyperion

48 28.92%
  • Gladiator

45 27.11%
  • Virtue (Ethan Edwards)

1 0.60%
  • Superbman

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Blue Marvel with Gladiator second. The others I've never particularly cared about.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    The most original? Really? After Hyperion he is the closet to Superman especially him being a parody of Superman.
    Nah, yis whole personality is no where close to Superman. Onky thing they have in common is he powers. His devotionnto the Shi’ar and his reasoning behind it alone separtes him. Also his weakness is way more relatable than a green rock. How many times have amazing people failed at something do to doubt or their own mental weakness getting in the way? We all have at some point. Guys like Blue Marvel, Hyperion, the Sentry and whoever else have always seemed like some gimmick to try and gill the “Superman void” while Gladitor the pardy/imitation of Superman turn into this thought provoking soilder and then later king.

You should check out Gladitors mini and Realm of Kings to see what Im talking about. And any of his older stuff really. His powers and name are a play on Superman but thats where the line is drawn from there.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Ultimate Member

I love that Gladiator and Hyperion are such shameless Superman riffs. It's hard to pick a favorite, because I love the Imperial Guard (and the Legion of Super-Heroes), but the Supreme Power mini-series was amazing, and that version of Hyperion was equally awesome.

I hate Sentry with the hate of a thousand exploding hyperboles. (When just one exploding hyperbole won't do it.)

I prefer Blue Marvel when he's not a not Superman clone.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Nah, yis whole personality is no where close to Superman. Onky thing they have in common is he powers. His devotionnto the Shi’ar and his reasoning behind it alone separtes him. Also his weakness is way more relatable than a green rock. How many times have amazing people failed at something do to doubt or their own mental weakness getting in the way? We all have at some point. Guys like Blue Marvel, Hyperion, the Sentry and whoever else have always seemed like some gimmick to try and gill the “Superman void” while Gladitor the pardy/imitation of Superman turn into this thought provoking soilder and then later king.

You should check out Gladitors mini and Realm of Kings to see what Im talking about. And any of his older stuff really. His powers and name are a play on Superman but thats where the line is drawn from there.
    Im sorry but what does this have to do with Hyperion? You seem to be talking about Gladiator.

And once again the Sentry is not based off Superman but Miracle Man.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Shouldn't 90s Rogue be on the list?

Cuz I choose her.

I voted Hyperion, however, there've been so many versions of the character that you'd need a pool just to determine which one was in the pool.
    For the record, I dig the original Steve Englehart/ Mark Gruenwald Squadron Supreme one (though I also like his Squadron Sinister doppleganger, who, chonologically, appeared first).

Peace

Im sorry but what does this have to do with Hyperion? You seem to be talking about Gladiator.

And once again the Sentry is not based off Superman but Miracle Man.
    Miracle Man is himself a Superman/Captain Marvel analog.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvelman

BANNED

I like Blue Marvel quite a bit but I find the concept behind Sentry far more engaging even if harder to execute well.

Plus, he wears the Super Mouse standard yellow which is bananas awesome.

Mighty Member

Hyperion is a tough call.

Technically, there have been multiple Hyperions (simultaneously and otherwise). But, at the some time, there have been multiple variants of Superman.

The problem is that Hyperion has, in a general sense, been around for 40+ years, making it more likely that the character (or character class) has been used in something good. Characters like Blue Marvel may do better by percentages. But, in terms of page-count, they are at a disadvantage.

(To use Superman, one could count "Red Son". But, that has to be weighed against decades of nigh-unreadable garbage.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I have never even heard of Ethan Edwards, Virtue...
    Voted for Hyperion though.

BANNED

I didn't read enough Hyperion..So I chose Gladiator.
    Last edited by JasonEsta; 12-26-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Miracle Man is himself a Superman/Captain Marvel analog.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvelman
    Uh... Miracle Man is NOT a Superman analog. Miracle Man is more similar to Captain Atom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovos2099 View Post
    By the way are there any marvel superman analogs that I missed?
    A lot:
    Sun King
    Omega
    The Aquarian
    Thor from earth-253.
    Dr. Zero (from the Epic line)
    Everyone with their own twist on the Superman archetype, but with a clear starting point.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Uh... Miracle Man is NOT a Superman analog. Miracle Man is more similar to Captain Atom.
    Yes he is a Superman analog. He's a Captain Marvel copy, who also is a Superman analog.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It wasn't until they established that Wonder Man was considerably weaker than Thor that many people thought that he was a Superman analog.