Default Suggest the next Young Animal title

So we currently have four ongoings:

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE
    DOOM PATROL
    MOTHER PANIC
    SHADE THE CHANGING GIRL

And a soon-to-start mini:
    BUG! THE ADVENTURES OF FORAGER

And Gerard Way has teased an upcoming crossover between the four current titles.

But Young Animal has been a bit more conservative with its expanding when compared to how Vertigo started in 1993.

So if you were to add titles to the line, what would you pick?

Mine would be:

BIZARRO COMICS - an ongoing series (reviving the Bizarro Comics and Bizarro World books) that is one-part MAD Magazine and one part DC Universe, utilizing some of the best indie talent available, as well as new up-and-comers, with shorts that would be easy to fit into their schedules. Maybe include a few regular features, like the new Top Cat, Tom Scioli's Super Powers and maybe Art Baltazar and Franco doing 'Mazing Man or Inferior Five. And of course, a regular Bizarro strip... maybe a Bizarro faux letter column in the style of Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast.

AMETHYST - Amp up the fantasy and bring in Marguerite Bennett on scripts and Rebecca Guay on art. With Tales of Gemworld backups by Trina Robbins.

ROSE & THORN - Focus on the schizophrenia angle, perhaps using an unreliable narrator a lot to give the illusion of a disjointed psyche. Written by Gail Simone with art by Cliff Chiang. Backups by Keith Giffen.

CAPTAIN CARROT AND THE ZOO CREW - The Harley Quinn creative team of Amanda Connor and Justin Palmiotti, joined with Skottie Young on art. Parodying everything from Civil War to Rebirth to Watchmen to Walking Dead. Legion of Super-Pets back-ups by Ty Templeton.

NIGHT FORCE - Marv Wolfman sharing writing duties with Gerard Way, with Leonardo Manco on art. The book takes a more surreal turn, with Baron Winters and the traditional Night Force team merged with Frankenstein and the Creature Commandos. House of Mystery and House of Secrets alternating as back-ups with guest artists each month.

META-MORPHO - Jeff Parker and Cameron Stewart (or Chris Samnee, if available). The hyphen is intentional. The book would regularly break the fourth wall, much like the '80s Byrne She-Hulk series, with shades of Morrison's Animal-Man, and be a celebration of the comics medium. Hence, it would be a meta-fiction piece starring, naturally, Metamorpho. Backups would feature Element Woman in a situation comedy where she retires and tries to live a normal life, with art by Parker's usual co-conspirator, Evan Shaner.

SUGAR & SPIKE'S CRIMETIME ADVENTURES - Keith Giffen And Bilquis Evely continue the series from their Legends of Tomorrow run, alongside alternating back-ups of Jonni Thunder by David Hahn, Human Target by David Lapham and (if DC owns the character) Nathaniel Dusk by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso, as well as a monthly serialized Slam Bradley prose section by Matt Wagner (a chapter each month) with accompanying art by Francisco Francavilla (one half-page illustration each month), reminiscent of the classic detective pulps. Maybe even an occasional Sandman Mystery Theatre story by Wagner.

GENERATION HEX - Jonah Hex by Howard Chaykin. With various western back-ups.

THE LOST WORLD OF THE WARLORD - Written by Frank Tieri, with art by Aaron Lopresti. Alternating backups featuring Arion by P. Craig Russell, Arak by Moritat and Tales from the Barren Earth by Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez.

THE BOOKS OF MAGICK - Writer David Sexton takes over the tales of Tim Hunter, with art by Jonathan Case. Back-ups featuring a tongue-in-cheek Kolchak-like Dr. Occult profiling and teaming up with various mystic characters including Madame Xanadu, Zatanna, Dr. Fate, Demon, Deadman and Phantom Stranger, with regular art by Ryan Sook.

STANLEY AND HIS MONSTERS - Charles Burns takes the DC characters and turns them into an homage to the Silver Age pre-superhero Marvel monsters books. Stanley is now a young adult and an amateur monster hunter, who gets help from some monsters of his own. Angel and the Ape back-ups by Matt Kindt.

DIAL H: HERO HOTLINE - The two properties are merged with Robbie Reed becoming the leader of Hero Hotline. Written by Peter David with art by Stuart Immonen. Ambush Bug and Inferior Five back-ups by Tick creator Ben Edlund.

JEMM, SON OF SATURN - Tom King teams up with Trevor McCarthy to revamp the character for the modern age. With Jim Starlin and Bill Sienkiewicz doing backups starring The Weird.

OH, MADEMOISELLE! - A return of the romance genre with Mademoiselle Marie in a soapy comic set in 1950s New York. Creators and back-ups TBA. Covers by Steve Rude.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-30-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Close race between AMETHYST and ROSE & THORN.

CAPTAIN CARROT, I'll pick up for Skottie Young although I'm not sure if he'd be willing to work for DC (as a professional courtesy towards Marvel). If it has baby variant covers, I'll be buying every one of those.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 04-28-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Close race between AMETHYST and ROSE & THORN.

CAPTAIN CARROT, I'll pick up for Skottie Young although I'm not sure if he'd be willing to work for DC (as a professional courtesy towards Marvel). If it has baby variant covers, I'll be buying every one of those.
    I was really having a hard time finding a modern artist that does funny animals well and isn't opposed to doing adult humor. Maybe Joe Quinones instead?

Elongated Man

Added META-MORPHO. See description above.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I was really having a hard time finding a modern artist that does funny animals well and isn't opposed to doing adult humor. Maybe Joe Quinones instead?
    Oh, don't get me wrong. As a wish title, I'd love to have Skottie Young working on it. In fact, I'd probably like it even better if he handled writing duties, too. I thoroughly enjoyed his Marvel parodies (A-Babies vs X-Babies, Giant-Size Little Marvel and Marvel Now What). I'm very much looking forward to reading Image's FCBD 2017 I Hate Image.

http://ew.com/books/2017/01/27/free-...ate-fairyland/

That said, he is a huge fan of MAD Magazine so we never know.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 04-28-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

BANNED

Both Amethyst and Captain Carrot would be pretty cool...but what about a new Newsboy Legion book?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Elongated Man

I would seriously love a book following Ralph with his new family (With Sue, Black Alice, and Strix) picking up from where Secret Six left off.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I would seriously love a book following Ralph with his new family (With Sue, Black Alice, and Strix) picking up from where Secret Six left off.
    I'd just love to see Ralph and Sue get the Young Animal treatment, especially since DC proper is obviously never doing anything with them again. I'm loving a lot of Rebirth but Doom Patrol is my #1 title each month (bummed about the hiatus) and I'd love to see Way take on the Dibny's.

This may seem backward to some people but one of the reasons I loved Identity Crisis so much was the treatment of Ralph and Sue; they're two of my favorite characters. I wouldn't mind seeing Elongated Man as a widow by Young Animal either.

Plastic-Man similar to Kyle Baker's series.

And of course BOOSTER GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Plastic-Man similar to Kyle Baker's series.

And of course BOOSTER GOLD!
    The Kyle Baker Plastic Man would fit perfectly under Young Animal, I think.

Btw, I added SUGAR & SPIKE'S CRIMETIME ADVENTURES, GENERATION HEX, THE LOST WORLD OF THE WARLORD and THE BOOKS OF MAGICK. See descriptions above.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-29-2017 at 03:20 AM.

Fantastic Member

Freedom Fighters

Forever People

Kamandi Last Boy on Earth

PlasticMan

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Added META-MORPHO. See description above.
    I like all your ideas here, but this one is gold.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

SUPERMAN: CHAMPION OF THE OPRESSED by China Melville and Steve Pugh. The hero of the people, fighting everything from slumlords to interdimesional beasts. Billionare perverts to neoliberal/neoconservative elities to Solaris the tyrant sun. A Superman book for 2017, a Clark Kent who will fight right alongside us. Not beholden to any continuity. Timeless ala ALL STAR.

After Melville wraps up his stories, I'd dig Gerard Way on it too. Maybe Mark Russell, also.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-29-2017 at 09:12 AM.

I would like to see a new Dial-H for hero series. If China Melville can returns, better yet.
    But I think is already time for Madame Fatal to have his/her own series or mini at least.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 04-29-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin