Extraordinary Member

Default So, What is the Status of Young Animal?

Canon or not canon? We saw a few issues ago in Mother Panic that Batwoman popped up and then we saw Superman guest star in Cave Carson. We also have seen series like Doom Patrol and Forager refer only to events that were published under the main DCU banner. So...are the series of Young Animal part of the main DCU continuity?

How could you miss that? Ever since the Young Animal line was anounced, its purpose was eplicitly to recreate the old "Vertigo corner" of the DC Universe from the late Eighties/early Nineties, when titles like Doom Patrol and Hellblazer featured the Vertigo label on the cover but were 100% in continuity. Now that that line is exclusively populated by stand-alone projects taking place in their own universes, the Young Animal titles deal with the most borderline concepts and personalities of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    How could you miss that? Ever since the Young Animal line was anounced, its purpose was eplicitly to recreate the old "Vertigo corner" of the DC Universe from the late Eighties/early Nineties, when titles like Doom Patrol and Hellblazer featured the Vertigo label on the cover but were 100% in continuity. Now that that line is exclusively populated by stand-alone projects taking place in their own universes, the Young Animal titles deal with the most borderline concepts and personalities of the DCU.
    I think it may be more a question of whether the Young Animal stories will get referenced in main continuity books or just sort-of ignored from that end, as opposed to whether main continuity stories being referenced in Young Animal stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    I just wanted confirmation because I've seen debate among fans, with some saying that its not canon.

At least seems likeCave Carson is in continuity. Superman himself made an appearance, in his post-Reborn costume.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I just wanted confirmation because I've seen debate among fans, with some saying that its not canon.
    Unless Gerard Way or his bosses contradict their statements in the future, the ones saying that the Young Animal line in non-canonical are ill-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think it may be more a question of whether the Young Animal stories will get referenced in main continuity books or just sort-of ignored from that end, as opposed to whether main continuity stories being referenced in Young Animal stories.
    Unfortunately we're not in the Eighties anymore. References to non-death-related events happening in a title under a different editorial line (or even just written by a different author) are completely at the discretion of the individual writers, who more often than not prefer not to include them. It's part of a trend more and more people have been noticing in the last decade (maybe even more).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    So...are the series of Young Animal part of the main DCU continuity?
    They are, yes.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I think one important reason to confirm this is because the first issue of Bug has a flashback to both New Gods volume 1 and Cosmic Odyssey. Granted, the panels from Cosmic Odyssey are recreated with the bare minimum characters (Superman, Batman, Orion and Lightray), so there's still a likelihood that it's a version of Cosmic Odyssey that doesn't include John Stewart, Starfire, J'onn J'onzz, Dr. Fate or Demon.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think one important reason to confirm this is because the first issue of Bug has a flashback to both New Gods volume 1 and Cosmic Odyssey. Granted, the panels from Cosmic Odyssey are recreated with the bare minimum characters (Superman, Batman, Orion and Lightray), so there's still a likelihood that it's a version of Cosmic Odyssey that doesn't include John Stewart, Starfire, J'onn J'onzz, Dr. Fate or Demon.
    Pretty sure John would still be in it, though, since they still referred to his mistakes getting Xanshi blown up during the New 52.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

They're imaginary stories, arent they all?

Superman showed up in Cave Carson (his best appearance in some time) and he was wearing what they have him in now so yeah it is.

It is its own thing, unless it doesn't want to be. Mother Panic seems firmly set in Batman's world. Doom Patrol carries over from Morrison's run. Shade the Changing Girl is headed to Gotham for an issue. Cave Carson is Superman's Pal.

Of course Cave Carson and Doom Patrol are in the DCU! I'm more curious about Super-Powers! ;D

That Green Arrow origin was my favorite page in a DC book in like two years.

XEEN ARROW: I am Xeen Arrow of Dimension Xero. Heed my words. String your bow to the vibration of the universe. Fight greed in all its forms. Use trick arrows.

Best backstory ever.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Spectacular Member

I don't know whether or not Doom Patrol fits perfectly into main DC continuity, but so far all I see from it is being practically a direct sequel to Morrison's run. Which for me is perfect. If I start reading more Young Animal I would imagine all titles with jive together in their own little continuity corner, regardless of what's going on in the main DC world.