Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hans Zimmer vs John Williams

Superman has had some great, great musical scores throughout his 79-year history. But two in particular stand out.

John Williams' 1978 "Prologue and Main Theme" from SUPERMAN:THE MOVIE.

and

Hans Zimmer's 2013 "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World" from MAN OF STEEL.

Forget, if at all possible, the respective films to which that these two particular themes are attached.

Which of these two musical themes (again, forget the movies and the accompanying visuals) is more likely to find a recurring spot on your personal playlist (party, workout, jogging, working, ambiance, etc)?

John Williams:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PASmiPN3Mn8

Or

Hans Zimmer:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWI4Y3eZ-lY

For me: Listen, I love the John Williams theme. It had been THE undisputed Superman sound for two dozen years (1978 - 2012). And it clearly influenced almost every Superman sound since. It's still an all-time classic no matter what else happens in the future.

But it's not my favorite Super score anymore.

Hans Zimmer's theme gets played every trip to the gym and every outside jog, religiously. I love it in a deeply personal way that William's theme just never quite reached for me. And this from a guy who still (just barely) prefers S:TM over MOS as Super-movies go.

What say you? Can you separate the themes from their movies and judge them solely on how they make you feel?

Or are their movies too intrinsically interwoven to their scores to be separated for you? There's no wrong answer here.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 04-29-2017 at 09:27 AM.