Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hans Zimmer vs John Williams

Superman has had some great, great musical scores throughout his 79-year history. But two in particular stand out.

John Williams' 1978 "Prologue and Main Theme" from SUPERMAN:THE MOVIE.

and

Hans Zimmer's 2013 "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World" from MAN OF STEEL.

Forget, if at all possible, the respective films to which that these two particular themes are attached.

Which of these two musical themes (again, forget the movies and the accompanying visuals) is more likely to find a recurring spot on your personal playlist (party, workout, jogging, working, ambiance, etc)?

John Williams:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PASmiPN3Mn8

Or

Hans Zimmer:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWI4Y3eZ-lY

For me: Listen, I love the John Williams theme. It had been THE undisputed Superman sound for two dozen years (1978 - 2012). And it clearly influenced almost every Superman sound since. It's still an all-time classic no matter what else happens in the future.

But it's not my favorite Super score anymore.

Hans Zimmer's theme gets played every trip to the gym and every outside jog, religiously. I love it in a deeply personal way that William's theme just never quite reached for me. And this from a guy who still (just barely) prefers S:TM over MOS as Super-movies go.

What say you? Can you separate the themes from their movies and judge them solely on how they make you feel?

Or are their movies too intrinsically interwoven to their scores to be separated for you? There's no wrong answer here.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 04-29-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I love em both. Both are equal in terms of saying " get out of the way, mother f-ers, Superman is here!".

Also of note is " FLIGHT" from the MOS soundtrack. That's actually my favorite Superman soundtrack tune of all.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Han Zimmer's Theme is Fantastic but when I think Superman it John Williams it always plays in my head no matter what version of the character.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I prefer Williams' scores in general. Zimmer's material is no less grand, but does not offer the visceral catchiness of Williams' scores. Little children pretending to be Luke Skywalker or Superman will hum bars of Williams' STAR WARS and SUPERMAN scores as they run by, but are less likely to do that with Zimmer's scores.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

As much as I love Superman Main Theme by John Williams, it took second place after I heard Flight by Hans Zimmer which became a definitive Superman music track for me. I just think that Flight theme itself tells the story through music. It starts with this buildup, like an introduction to our favorite super hero. The tension increases with every second. Then it goes like the super hero rises, he is doing something, maybe he fights, struggles, but then suddenly falls, loses, becomes troubled. But this fall doesn't stop him, he slowly is coming back with the beautiful vocal providing at the background. It sounds like he is gathering all his thoughts, his will, his power, his believes, all of his traits are coming together for this climax moment of, which never stops, but only goes stronger to the very end, meaning that Superman is here and he is here to stay.
    Last edited by GreatKungLao; 04-29-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Hans Zimmer's score is good, but I mean, its asking a lot and not really fair for me to compare the two when I consider the Superman: The Movie Prelude and Main Title March to be the absolute best theme in the history of film, and the opening credits as a whole the best of all time. Second overall score of all-time right behind The Empire Strikes Back.

That's a hell of a lot to overcome. That said Zimmer's Superman theme works very well for me. It should, if done right, be really powerful using that music when Superman returns to save the League.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-29-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

On the MoS soundtrack, I prefer "Flight" as well - but nothing comes close to John Williams. Those themes he's created will be around forever. They're energetic, they're catchy, and exceptionally memorable. The Zimmer ones are very good, but don't have those qualities.

For me, the closest Zimmer has come to Williams is in the Pirates of the Carribean theme "He's A Pirate."
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I came to really dislike the John Williams theme for a while there just because it was so overused. I prefer Zimmer's because it's supplanted Williams to a certain extent, but it's so layered that it's hard to hum or whistle.

However, my two favorite Superman themes on the whole are Jay Gruska's theme from Lois and Clark and Sammy Timberg's theme from the Fleischer cartoons.

I will say though, I kind of want a more rock-and-roll Superman theme. I appreciate "Flight"'s more metallic sound, but the three notes just aren't melodic enough. Also, I've always kind of wanted a choral theme sung in Kryptonese? Eh, maybe someday I'll get it.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Amazing Member

I listened to this theme and flight and they were good. But sorry...John Williams rules... from 1:25-1:35 I just get pumped like when I was a kid listening to it.

John Williams did Raiders of the Lost Ark. That puts him ahead. Hans is amazing too.

In terms of Superman I would go John too.

All-New Member

If any of you get the chance I urge you to see Hans Zimmer live, it's a memorable night out. As far as the main themes go, I think they are both fantastic and both winners at the time they were created.

Well, I have them both on my playlists. Though of the two, I prefer Williams. Both are great and I love listening to them. For me though, when I hear the Williams theme I just feel heroic. That's the difference to me. I enjoy the Zimmer theme but I feel the Williams theme. If that makes sense.

Incredible Member

The Williams theme makes you feel like you're ready to save the world.

That theme can play while you're making a sandwich and you feel like you're about to take on evil with that sandwich.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 05-01-2017 at 12:13 PM.

I like them both, but Williams had a 35 year head start, so I'm always going to associate Williams' score with Superman more than Zimmer's. I will say this much, though: if comic book movies stray dark, then Zimmer's is going to feel less dated.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I forgot to mention that Hans nailed an action theme for Man of Steel. To me it became a definitive music track that should be played during an action of Superman scales and when I'm going to read Superman vs Revenge Squad, I will do it with this track playing on the background