Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

Sorry, it has to be Zimmer. His music just made a good movie truly great and unforgettable.

BANNED

Zimmer versus Williams?

How is that even a contest?

Zimmer is nice, but if there is any word that comes to mind to describe his superhero and action movie work it's this: super-generic.

The video is "not available" - but basically I can't remember Zimmer's and Williams' is permanently etched in my brain.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    As much as I love Superman Main Theme by John Williams, it took second place after I heard Flight by Hans Zimmer which became a definitive Superman music track for me. I just think that Flight theme itself tells the story through music. It starts with this buildup, like an introduction to our favorite super hero. The tension increases with every second. Then it goes like the super hero rises, he is doing something, maybe he fights, struggles, but then suddenly falls, loses, becomes troubled. But this fall doesn't stop him, he slowly is coming back with the beautiful vocal providing at the background. It sounds like he is gathering all his thoughts, his will, his power, his believes, all of his traits are coming together for this climax moment of, which never stops, but only goes stronger to the very end, meaning that Superman is here and he is here to stay.
    Yeah have to go with this.

Plus I find those first two (and then 4) notes that often begin the MoS Superman steel so be so emotional and deep. I find it just beautiful, dramatic. I eagerly anticipate his return being ushered in by those two notes in the climax of Justice League. I'd listen to it even if it weren't associated with Superman. I can't say the same for the Williams theme, although the association is half the magic. I get cheerful listening to Williams' theme, but listening to Zimmer's, I feel a sense of grandiose anticipation and glory and like I'm flying. I really love it in all its variations.

Zimmer's score is good, especially Flight, but it doesn't hold a candle to Williams' score.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Oh my God! There is a thread like this! Awesome!
    I was browsing and found this really cool thread. Zimmer vs Williams. I love it!

One thing i love about Superman is the brilliant scores. They are in my playlist. I hear them more often than music as understood generally.

Okay choosing between the two is really difficult. I love both the themes. But first some of my favorite music.

1. Superman The Animated Series. This is my John Williams. This is not as good as Williams but being the first for me i have a special love for this. I remember back in the days before i had access to internet i would hum it or repeat it in my mind a large number of times. I still love it a lot. There is an interlude in the music where it changes to a slow tune. In the opening this was when Lois appears. You can call it my Lois tune. Thus, i have Superman and Lois Lane within the same theme. Two for the price of one. The tune evokes Adventure for me. Something like Superman jumping into action. Shirley Walker did a great job of introducing me to Superman.

2.This is a new theme for me. I love this one. The theme of All Star Superman by Christopher Drake. This one evokes the tragedy and majesty of the story. Not a song for workout but something to hear while sitting quietly. Its slow and melancholic tunes evokes the sadness of the story and yet has the feeling of something majestic like a king. Freed of all limitations of other heroes and being the last story the story feels king sized in all respects. The theme matches the story.

3.Superman love theme by Williams. This is a relatively new find. The slow moving theme which plays during the flight of Lois and Superman in the first movie. When this is from my favorite scene in the movie i had to notice. A sweet and romantic melody. John Williams was a legend. While we talk so much about the main theme we forget about this little gem.

The above three had to be mentioned. Moving ahead i can't choose between Williams and Zimmer.

Williams is the best theme of Superman. When i hear it i hear Superman. No other theme can catch Superman as perfectly as this. My words to praise this will always fall short. When i envision Superman i see this kindly, smiling hero flying in the sky. A friend. The heroic tunes are such that even i want to jump into action and do something good. Superman inspires good in everyone. This song does the same. This is uplifting and epic. Everything Superman should be.

My favorite music is however 'Flight 'from Man of Steel. When i hear it this gives a feeling like flying in supersonic speeds just like Superman. One of the things which work is the buildup. This music is not that it gets going immediately but starts slowly really slowly. Then builds ups. Next a fall. Then builds up to an even bigger tempo to deafening levels. I was watching the flight scene the other day. And i wonder which one was made first. The scene or the music. Both perfectly complement each other.

Another favorite of mine is the Main Theme of Man Of Steel. I remember the first time i saw Man Of Steel and my favorite scene was when it ended (ha!). I have come to like the film after more viewings but my favorite scene remains when towards the end when Lois Lane welcomes Clark Kent. Lois smiles, extends her hand to Clark and says "Hi. Lois Lane. Welcome to the Planet". Clark replies "Glad to be here". Both look at each other smiling. Screen blackens and music plays. It was this music which drew my attention. I loved it right away. I tracked it down much later. This is a really wonderful piece of music. Due to some reason i like to hear this music more than any other save for maybe flight.

So i equally love all three Man Of Steel, Flight and Superman.

I go down my playlist and there is more of Hans Zimmer. "What are you going to do when not saving the world?" and "If You Love These People" are two more i like a lot. Zimmer's music is somewhat repetitive but works really well for me.

Thank you for putting up such a nice thread.